Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

I think of it like this - I am a happy individual, and I'd like to have another happy individual in my life.

However, I have a difficult time relating to people who just need to be in a relationship - as if being with some loser is better than being single. This goes double for people who need a serious, long term relationship that leads to marriage. The best I can say is, I'm open to it with the right person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
Are you happy/unhappy being single? If so, why/why not?

I myself have been single for 8months now. Of course I missed my ex like crazy at first, and went through the heartbroken phase, but then I slowly started to get used to a life without him. I wasnt happy or unhappy being single. I just...was.

After 6months of absolute ZERO contact with him,we got in touch with eachother again and attempted to reconcile. The honeymoon phase (if that) lasted a short 6weeks but sadly (yet thankfully) things did not work out between us. Because of the events that led to us not being able to work things out and resulting in us not even talking anymore, I can honestly say that I am 100%, over the top, no joke, super duper uper schmuper happy and glad and content that I am single.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
All I can say is your ex must have been a complete idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
Are you happy/unhappy being single? If so, why/why not?

I myself have been single for 8months now. Of course I missed my ex like crazy at first, and went through the heartbroken phase, but then I slowly started to get used to a life without him. I wasnt happy or unhappy being single. I just...was.

After 6months of absolute ZERO contact with him,we got in touch with eachother again and attempted to reconcile. The honeymoon phase (if that) lasted a short 6weeks but sadly (yet thankfully) things did not work out between us. Because of the events that led to us not being able to work things out and resulting in us not even talking anymore, I can honestly say that I am 100%, over the top, no joke, super duper uper schmuper happy and glad and content that I am single.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

I've lived alone for decades, and have always ejoyed it. Sometimes people ask me if I get lonely, living in a house all by myself. "No way," I tell them. I'm too busy living my life to have any time to sit around feeling lonely. I treasure the occasional evening or weekend at home with nothing to do!

Now, this is not to say that I wouldn't want to settle down if the right man came along. But "settle" is the operative word. I will NOT settle, just to have a full-time partner/roommate and somebody to play with.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 25,962 times
Well I can't really say that I am single nor can I say that I am dating someone. I share a very unique relationship with a particular man in my life. We hang out, we go on dates, we talk on the phone.... blah blah blah.... However since we are not exclusive, I am able to go out with other men make new friends and he is able to do the same. We love each other, but don't really feel that it is necessary to with hold to the normality of dating. He is slowly becoming my best friend. I love the freedom to do what I choose, to be able to know that I am free to do whatever I feel like when I wake up, and I know that he feels the same. At the same time it is extremely nice to know that I have a friend like him when I need one.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I've lived alone for decades, and have always ejoyed it. Sometimes people ask me if I get lonely, living in a house all by myself. "No way," I tell them. I'm too busy living my life to have any time to sit around feeling lonely. I treasure the occasional evening or weekend at home with nothing to do!

Now, this is not to say that I wouldn't want to settle down if the right man came along. But "settle" is the operative word. I will NOT settle, just to have a full-time partner/roommate and somebody to play with.
Well then!!!!!!! I'll just take my ball and go home since you done want to play!!!!!!!!Too damn cold in Valpo anyway!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
i was too self destructive when i was single, i partied too much, drank way too much, im at my best being in a relationship. I love to get up in the morn, cook breakfast for my wife, play w my kids, taking vacations with my family, im a really family oriented person, so being single, doesnt work for me. Being with somebody happy, to me is way better than being happy with nobody, but thats my opinion.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM

9,631 posts, read 819,989 times
I don't think single people are losers, it is not the end of the world .. how you say every dog has its day.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Ok..before i get started, let me say that what i am going to say is DEDICATED to several individual fellow members here...and i will not name names..but all of you know who you are....

To each person there lies a path...one must walk... and a destination we are en route toward...

Every road leads one to the same place..where we are to arrive..

This path onward is where we learn of ones' self, Where we discover, take in all that we may see, and where we challenge that which lies in our way...

For some, the route is quick..and fairly smooth..with obstacles few or far between...

For others, the road is longer..and presents more obstacles...Those Mountains we must climb...The ruts, the storms on the horizon we must break through in order to overcome the fears which challenge...

Sometimes we are scared..and stop in our tracks.. Sometimes we loose direction and begin down a wrong path...Still, sometimes, we choose to take a side road to see something we have never..yet have always wanted to see...yet, we are guided onward toward where we are going..

Even when we are standing amidst a raging storm..where the Lightning seems to chase us down as we seek shelter where there is none..we are to face these things..for this is part of ones' challenge..

Drenched and perhaps annoyed,..soon enough, a great light emerges within..and we stare up and will no longer fear...And the storm suddenly cowers as ones confidence grows...

There we stand..radiating a greatest light...confident..and no longer fearful..respectful and respected...and Stronger ever more is our drive to continue on...

For in this moment, we can now see where the road ends...even if there are still miles to travel..and so we continue on..

Through the Blistering heat..or freezing cold...Through stormiest skies or Darkest night..when one can't even see their feet...we march on..Confident that we will arrive...

Exhausted, we finally set down for a nap beneath starry skies...only to be awakened by a blinding light...

Wincing to see as our eyes focus, we suddenly realize that alas, we have arrived...as the sun rise...

Slowly, we rise to greet this glorious Dawn refreshed, and clearest of mind..and feel as though we are radiating the sun's light around us...for we have challenged, faced, feared, ..and overcome...more alive are we now, more than ever...

Not all are ment to walk the easiest of roads...and Blessed are those who have walked the longest.. learned, and overcome...

This is the teaching of a journey...which leads all to their destination..where someone is awaiting our arrival..

Carry on..and stop to smell the roses..for this is part of the journey

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think of it like this - I am a happy individual, and I'd like to have another happy individual in my life.

However, I have a difficult time relating to people who just need to be in a relationship - as if being with some loser is better than being single. This goes double for people who need a serious, long term relationship that leads to marriage. The best I can say is, I'm open to it with the right person.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
i was too self destructive when i was single, i partied too much, drank way too much, im at my best being in a relationship. I love to get up in the morn, cook breakfast for my wife, play w my kids, taking vacations with my family, im a really family oriented person, so being single, doesnt work for me. Being with somebody happy, to me is way better than being happy with nobody, but thats my opinion.
Well that may be true for me too, but since I've never experienced that kind of relationship, it's a completely foreign concept to me. All I know is the two meager, painful relationships I've been in, and being single. Since I've learned to be happy alone, single is far better than either of those relationships. However, that certainly doesn't mean I'm closed to the possibility of a relationship as pleasant as yours sounds. I'd love to have that! But since I've never experienced it, I can't hardly be miserable without it. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
All I can say is your ex must have been a complete idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Totally Agree Bro...

If brains was gas, he wouldn't have enough to fill up a p**s ants motor scooter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships