Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of good role models for girls. I find the women of food network inspiring (I'm also a food geek).

Angie Martinez was popular when I was arund the age of 14. She was a female latina hip-hop artist but never sleazy.

Travel Channel has women like Samantha Brown on it.

MTV and BET are the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,378 times
Pear Martini,

This is a great post. I seriously thought i was the only one who noticed this and that the only reason i notice is b/c i'm "past my prime" lol. You are waaay ahead of the game to notice how it seems that women and unfortunately girls are going backwards.

Pop culture has ALOT to do w/it. Awhile ago, i posted a thread in the music board about how there used to be a time when women really rocked, on their talent, not on their T&A. When i was in my 20's (90's) there were so many female artists and bands who made great music BY PLAYING INSTRUMENTS AND HAVING VOICES. They didn't wear skirts up to their necks and swing on stripper poles while lip-synching. Then 2000 rolled around, and the Brittney Spears of the world started popping up.

I'm raising a teenage son and it's extremely hard to counter the images of girls and women on tv w/my trying to raise him to see girls/women as human beings and not objects, and to have respect us. & you can't block your kids from it b/c it seems to be everywhere! I'm not giving up though. He probably gets sick of my stories and rants, but so far, i think they're working.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
It is distasteful.
Then to add insult to injury , alot of them do so because they actually wish to be objectified!! All victims of society , IMO.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Something has gone wrong I believe in our society. I have no problem with sexuality and sensuality but for adults only not children.

I was only in elementary school 20 years ago and back then in the sixth grade I thought a blow job was a hair cut.

Now I see teenage girls walking around looking like street hoes you see on COPS and my sister who is a substitute teacher always has a story about the foul talk and dry humping and other nonsense the 2nd graders are up to. And it's no surprise because every media outlet you see is children being sexualized.

I am no prude and I admire the female form but there is a time and place for everything and having your t*ts popping out and ass cheeks shaking around at the supermarket is not the place, nor is having your slutty 13 daughter dressed like Sally the Street Ho, the time, place or the AGE either for all that.

It is interesting that "Feminism" was supposed to bring an end to all that, but instead it is like no other time in American history.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
..Well said Repubocrat...

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You should see the clothes for little girls in the stores...
Ok, so every year my daughter goes to a Christian summer camp for two weeks and she HAS to have 3, one-piece bathing suits to wear at the lake. Do you know how impossible it is to find a one-piece bathing suit for a 10 year old and a tasteful one at that? You have to be willing to spend the cash, that's for sure! Last year I think I spent around $100 on 3 suits because I had to go through Speedo to find anything tasteful! Ridiculous!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Why are so many women basing their self-worth off of what some horny guys think of them?
I think part of it is lack of self-esteem, but I think there are other parts to it, too. Like, wanting to keep up with everyone else and not wanting to fall behind and the basic, inescapable fact that good looks = power. The power to make people pay attention to you can open many doors. As long as there is power behind being attractive, people are ALWAYS going to want to be seen as attractive.

I'm hoping that sluttiness has a saturation factor and that eventually people will get tired of seeing slutty-looking girls and then we can go back to being a little more conservative. Honestly, seeing a slutily dressed girl no longer provokes any of my attention, there are so many of them nowadays. I think that's part of the reason Lady Gaga is so big now, yes, she dresses sort of slutty, but that's not all that she's about. It's refreshing to see someone weird rather than just showing skin.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
You have a very valid point!

Hemlines, need to go back down.

There needs to be a return to "mystery", and making a man work to see the goods-rather than hanging it all out there like a slab of beef.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Lol, but can you see where I am coming from?
you worked as a stripper in Miami, and the women around you were slutty?

I am shocked!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
I read this whole thing (rarity for me)...

We are the problem trying to repress something that's instinctive. A boob pops out over the superbowl and it's mass hysteria...Go to other countries and there's nudity TV commercials. See what they where at Rio de Janario beaches. If clothing actually bothers don't live in south FL, L.A., etc...

Parents faults for not enforcing? When I dated H.S. girls with converative parents, they bring "slutty" clothes with and them change once they were out of the house. They even sneakily wash them without their parents knowing. Or kept, changed into and washed their clothes at a friends house.

Why do they do it? It's NORMAL to them...If they don't do it, they don't fit in and equate that being a loser. How do you change that mindset of millions? Answer's simple, become a dictator...

I have some positive news for the conseratives some slutty trends have gone away. A big one was the thong/g-string purposesly exposed above pants...The other is the super ultra low rise pants, the one's where when a girl would bend over would automatically moon the world. They're both currently out of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships