Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,587 times

Advertisements

or will those past feelings creep up eventually? wonder what you all think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I think it's always there. It's a matter of control.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson79 View Post
Depends on the individuals involved.

I'm good friends with a couple ex-boyfriends. Both are married now and I'm happy for both of them. We stay in touch, talk on the phone (once in a blue moon) and even have lunch if we're in the others city. It's no big deal for me. I moved on from them a long time ago.

If the feelings between you were very intense, even if the break-up was mutual, it will take a long longer to just think of that person as a friend, and it may not be possible in all cases.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

530 posts, read 780,107 times
I think so. I have friends that are past exs, we didn't work as a couple, but we work as friends.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,270 times
Hello Jackson79,

it is possible, but there are many factors have to click for that to happen.

First situation, it depends if the 2 people were only silently attracted and kept themselves off each other.

Normally after a while, this attraction dies down, and the 2 people behave as they would with their other acquaintances. So friendship is definitely possible.

Second situation - 2 people have an affair or a love relationship and then break up.

Now this one is trickier and it is not easy to get over it.

And the man and the woman won't react in the same way.

If the man is successful with ladies, then he will view his exgf as simply one gf. He may still care for her but won't be too affected by the breakup, especially if many months have passed by.

So he will be friendly.

On the other hand, if the man has problems finding another girlfriend or if he only gets girls who he views of inferior quality to his past gf, then he will have trouble letting go. Everytime, he sees his exgf, he will get the blues and memories flood back. He may get angry when he sees her with another man. So that case, it will be difficult for him to be friends with her. He may act as if he is a friend with her, but deep down, he wants more.

From the woman's perspective, it is different.

Women generally like to have friends. The woman who has broken with his bf will generally have some feelings for his bf, but not in an intimate way. So, it's easier for a woman to become friends with an exbf.

The exception is the bf had always made her feel special, and consciously or unconsciously made her addicted to him, without him controlling the situation. If he had presented himself as the man of her dreams, let her think that he would always be there for her and then disappear.

Then the woman would have trouble letting go, since it would not be easy for her to find another such man. Everytime, she would see him, she would think of when they used to cuddle together, his smile, etc. , and many time this feeling would be be unbearable and she would just run away, unable to be in his presence. The emotions are too overwhelming.

So there again, friendship very hard for her. But for women, it easier to let go even in such a situation if she sees that he is happy with another woman. For a reason peculiar to women, they have tendency to let go. And sincerely hope thebest for the exbf.

Unless they view the other woman as the cause of the breakup, in which case they would want to exact revenge on her and get the bf back.

For 2 people to really become friends after being romantically involved takes many things to go right.

The next best thing is for them to pretend.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Yes, possibly not as a conscious choice but evolves over time.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Probably. I look back at some of the people I used to find attractive and want to gag.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,446 times
Its possible to be friends with someone you are attracted to in my opinion, its all just a matter of self control.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
so long as you BOTH want to be friends.........yes.

if one of you wants more.............................no.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson79 View Post
It depends upon the individuals, and how resolute they are about staying only pals.

But remember this:

A simple spark, can sometimes produce an out of control flame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships