Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Kinda but not quite. Men want to feel like men in a relationship. The "independent woman" doesn't recognize that. Ms. Independent spends an inordinate amount of time proving to everyone how independent she really is, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy all too often. Her equally intelligent and successful sister knows how to let a man feel manly and will have no trouble finding a dude. She is truly independent, free from the need to prove it to herself.

Sometimes it really is easier to just let the guy open that jar of pickles.
Usually the women that wear the "Miss Independent" as a badge of honor around their neck, end up living exactly that way.

You made a good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I can say the same thing except I'm a dancer so I know why no one dates me..What can you do?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I used to work as business banker for one of top 5 financial institutions and most of my successful women clients were total *******. I could care less if their business was booming and how much money they made, but I could not stand some of these women. I respect people who are truly smart and driven but some of these women were so incredibly dumb and they felt like they were all that. They could be making millions of dollars, I could care less, I would take a pleasant secretary or receptionist over any of these "independent, successful" women
When I used to work in the pink collar trenches, I certainly had my pick of high status men. Certain women did not like that.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
It doesn't sound like these women are the ones with the attitude problem...

From what I've read from the OP, it doesn't sound like she's some puffed-up, prideful, every-word-out-of-her-mouth-is-dripping-with-distain type. You may see women like that out there, but certainly successful women are allowed to expect SOME sort of equal partner. You can interpret that mentality your own way, but not all of us have a holier-than-thou personality.
She might not be, but her words certainly radiate some of that and I can only imagine what vibe she puts across in person.

I think a lot of the problems in society today is fantasy expectations derived from watching too many movies and tv shows. You'll do a better job finding men looking at what you offer as a person rather than what other people should give you.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Someone educated- at least a bachelors, someone smart, someone nice, someone funny, someone decently attractive (he doesn't have to be the hottest thing going, but also don't want someone ugly either), someone who takes of himself physically (not necessarily some macho guy, but someone who watches what he eats and goes to the gym), someone who can support himself financially, someone who has a decent-good job...or is unemployed due to the state of economy and actively looking for a new one, someone supportive, someone who wants a commitment and a wife and kids one day (basically not the typical "bachelor" mentality).

Not required, but also it would be nice he had a good social life and was close with his family.
I've been reading your post(s) and don't think you're gonna find what you're looking for in a bar. You might, just might but your odds are against you. Here's the rub, and why you feel you're not getting the "hits" maybe you should be. In a bar, the guys are looking to meet and "greet". At 24, successful women are not necessarily looking for a long-term settle down thing. At 28, most women are at least thinking about it. Guys know this. Also you're in a bar. Why play the whole "real deal" game, when you know you can get a hit-it-and-quit-it deal.

Also, you're "requirements" are not that stringent, however I think you may be grading harder than you think you are, and don't feel like you're getting asked out or dating someone who you think you should be dating, but are indeed turning down or shooting down guys who you probably should date. At least once or twice, because you just may like the guy if you give him a chance.

Most guys when they hit their 30's start thinking about a long-term relationship or marriage. If the guys in their 30's are going for younger women, simply b/c of age if that's true then maybe YOU are going after the wrong kind of guys. I would suggest an honest assessment of what you want, and if you're really grading on a curve or not. I'm not saying you should lower your standards or requirements, in fact maybe you should tighten them, but not grade so hard.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You ladies that are HOMEOWNERS! sound like a bunch of yakking dolphins waiting for someone to toss a fish into your mouth.

And I mean that in a nice way.

Essentially the problem is that you have a list of all these things you want(and I'm sure the list is even longer) but what do you have to offer beyond the superficial like being a HOMEOWNER! and having a job?
your post reminded me of this:

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Family Dinner

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
You ladies that are HOMEOWNERS! sound like a bunch of yakking dolphins waiting for someone to toss a fish into your mouth.
We're homedebtors anyway. In many cases one has to pay in order to "sell" the darn house these days! Other than that, no, I don't like raw fish!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
So... a woman that is able to take care of herself, has her own home, and is on financially sound ground, is unappealing. Yet, how many women-are-just-golddiggers-and-any-woman-I-marry-better-be-able-to-support-herself threads have we had on here??

Make up your minds.

Maybe it's just that *some" women that are independent have started responding to the endless golddigger crap that they see so many men post on here, on dating profiles, and elsewhere. I am certainly independent. I have owned my own home since I was 27 (and that is a LONG time! ), and I can support myself and my son, pretty well. (College will be a challenge - but we'll deal with that when the time comes.) But I'll be the first to admit that I do like having my man around to do those things that he does best, besides all the other obvious benefits of being in a relationship. I'm not an island, and I never have professed to be. I suspect a lot of other *independent* women feel the same way.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
The mere fact you can afford to own a house on Long Island at 28 says you must have a damn good job (or rich daddy).

I guess you wouldn't consider moving...

I would guess a lot of guys are probably intimidated by you.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I would guess a lot of guys are probably intimidated by you.
That's curious. I do not know any men who are intimidated by successful women.

I know men who are intimidated by smart women, and I know men who are intimidated by beautiful women. I also know men who are intimidated by popular women with high social capital.

But intimidated in the dating world, by a woman's success or wealth? I'm sorry but that is a delusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships