Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM

865 posts, read 2,433,792 times

Advertisements

Boy, I can relate to that. I felt the same way at your age. I had a doctorate, great job/great pay, attractive, fit, yadda yadda......couldn't meet a decent guy to save my life. And when I got in my mid 30s, and my clock went from ticking to gonging, I settled for less than I wanted, but what I thought would be good enough. And now in my 40s...boy, I'm wishing I'd waited longer.

So my advice would be:
1. Increase your social circles, where you may meet more friends (not just potential dates)
2. And don't EVER settle for less than what you dream of, b/c someday you'll wake up and realize that you sold out

Btw, nowadays, there are PLENTY of good websites/books etc that give advice about how to meet people. You're at the perfect age for that, so stop feeling sorry for yourself, and start looking for opportunities. In the meantime, ENJOY your life. B/c once you are married with little ones, you will be looking back at these days wistfully........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM

19,693 posts, read 12,275,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi rubber_factory,

Its the trap of hypergamy. Women think there love market status has something to do with their career anywhere near the scale that women value it in men. Thus they overestimate their attractiveness and dine alone.
True, but they shouldn't be diminshed because of it. Some guys are actually turned off by a woman's success.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 AM

174 posts, read 374,400 times
I don't think you know yourself well enough to have a relationship right now. For one thing, you talk very negatively about men and very highly of yourself. My first impression of your post is a lack of modesty and pride bordering on conceit. Not a very likeable personality so far. If you really knew what you were doing, and you would be in a relationship right now. I don't think any of us can help you right now.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,431,346 times
Dang, I know exactly how the OP feels. I'm 24, successful, own my home, etc., and I can't get a decent guy no matter how hard I try.

Yes, guys DO like the "bitchy ditzy bimbos with no money" because they're NEEDY and make guys feel "tough" when they can take care of them. Personally, I think the success of women like us is a turn-off for a lot of guys. They won't admit it, but it's true--we're proof!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
True, but they shouldn't be diminshed because of it. Some guys are actually turned off by a woman's success.
I disagree. I think men are turned off by masculinity, and I think many high-status positions in big cities require masculine attitudes to succeed.

About half of my childhood female friends turned out to be high achivers in male-dominated professions: physicians, attorneys, accountants, and engineers. The difference is, these girls were all raised to be southern belles, and they love and embrace this role. They had their pick of all sorts of great guys, and are mostly married now. People say our part of the country is "backwards", and I laugh.

Last edited by le roi; 01-07-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM

19,693 posts, read 12,275,135 times
A woman I know had this problem for years, she is now in her 40s. Now that she has a medical condition she found a great guy. She is finally imperfect and actually she is a bit more humble now. She used to like to talk a lot about her job and being a HOMEOWNER. Big deal, she had a condo, like millions of other people. She wouldn't shut up about being a HOMEOWNER.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,333,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
True...but they have to be the whole package. My age means nothing if they are some lazy bum on the couch with no job living with mom & dad.
What is the whole package? The only things I've heard are pretty easy to come by: doesn't live at home, no lazy bum, has to have a job, enjoys sitting with you watching TV & unwinding...

Surely you can find someone within these parameters? What are you looking for? Be honest.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,194,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Yes, guys DO like the "bitchy ditzy bimbos with no money" because they're NEEDY and make guys feel "tough" when they can take care of them. Personally, I think the success of women like us is a turn-off for a lot of guys. They won't admit it, but it's true--we're proof!
Nonsense. Perhaps if you were more modest rather than speak so highly of yourselves, more men would give you the time of their day.

You start sounding like one of those needy "nice guys". Get over yourselves [collectively] and concentrate on building a likeable personality. So far what I have read in this thread is the OP and a few others thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread, thinking so highly of yourselves and speaking ill of men who have rejected you. I would reject you as well if you carried that personality around regardless how successful you "claim" to be. Such a huge turn-off.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,333,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I disagree. I think men are turned off by masculinity, and I think many high-status positions require masculine attitudes to succeed.
I guess some of us can hide our b*lls better than others.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,402,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
What is the whole package? The only things I've heard are pretty easy to come by: doesn't live at home, no lazy bum, has to have a job, enjoys sitting with you watching TV & unwinding...

Surely you can find someone within these parameters? What are you looking for? Be honest.
Someone educated- at least a bachelors, someone smart, someone nice, someone funny, someone decently attractive (he doesn't have to be the hottest thing going, but also don't want someone ugly either), someone who takes of himself physically (not necessarily some macho guy, but someone who watches what he eats and goes to the gym), someone who can support himself financially, someone who has a decent-good job...or is unemployed due to the state of economy and actively looking for a new one, someone supportive, someone who wants a commitment and a wife and kids one day (basically not the typical "bachelor" mentality).

Not required, but also it would be nice he had a good social life and was close with his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships