Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times

Advertisements

Got this idea for a thread from Urban Sasquatch.

Your S.O. owns a home, condo, whatever, and you move in. They say its "our place" but it feels like its their place. Anyone ever experience this? If so, did that feeling ever go away? How did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Yes, I owned the house and lived in it alone for 10 years before he moved in and it did cause some friction as the house isn't that big - especially not big enough for 2 sets of everything. I did my best to compromise on some artwork(which we flipped quarters over) and furniture and made a great effort to provide him with his own space - we ended up redoing the basement into another level of the house because of it. I wasn't extremely skeptical of him paying for it though and didn't want him to because the relationship was so new and I didn't want him to invest in things in the house he didn't own.

I had spent considerable time and money on the properly sized furniture in this house because it was small and I needed it to appear bigger and his furniture was oversized and huge.

I understand your pain.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I moved into my boyfriend's apartment after we got married. He already had all kinds of atrocious bachelor furniture AND a roommate, but all three of us were poor. You just have to live with what gets handed down to you, pretty much.

My husband mostly defers to me to decorate the house now, but I know what his tastes are and don't choose things I know he'll hate.

One of my uncles never married and jokes that he can't get a wife because there won't be anywhere to put her stuff.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
One of my uncles never married and jokes that he can't get a wife because there won't be anywhere to put her stuff.
LOL, sometimes I feel that way.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,335 times
My husband had build a new home a few years before we met--eventually it became to feel like "home" but I still had that nervous feeling every time I spilled a drink or whatever. We are now building a new home and I am on the title of everything--also we picked everything out together--now it really feels like 'our' home.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Got this idea for a thread from Urban Sasquatch.

Your S.O. owns a home, condo, whatever, and you move in. They say its "our place" but it feels like its their place. Anyone ever experience this? If so, did that feeling ever go away? How did it work out?
When I married my ex, it was his house that I moved into (I owned a townhouse and rented it out). It never ever felt like "our house" because he was such a @ss about what I was "allowed" to do in it. He's a control freak. Others may not have that experience.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
My ex owned his house before we were married. We did a bunch of remodeling right before the wedding, but I never felt at home there. Well, it didn't help that he would rub it in my face during every argument with things like, "This is MY house. I could kick you out now, and you would be homeless". He kept it after the divorce, and he still lives there (alone) 10 years later.

With my current SO, I had my own place and he moved in. He never was that happy there, and I totally understood the feeling. We moved as soon as we were able, and I even let him do all the decorating.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
It is never "our" place unless our names are on the title.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Yes there was/is a huge power struggle even tho we both own the house. He had his entire house decorated by a interior designer so everything goes together just so and was very expensive.

Then here comes me with all my Mid-Century Modern decor from the 50s that I'm very attached to. It's still mostly his stuff except for a spare bathroom, extra bedroom, and my collectible bowls in the kitchen. *sigh*

Most of my stuff is in storage.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Yes there was/is a huge power struggle even tho we both own the house. He had his entire house decorated by a interior designer so everything goes together just so and was very expensive.

Then here comes me with all my Mid-Century Modern decor from the 50s that I'm very attached to. It's still mostly his stuff except for a spare bathroom, extra bedroom, and my collectible bowls in the kitchen. *sigh*

Most of my stuff is in storage.
Why don't you just bring some more of your stuff in? It shouldn't be relegated to spare rooms, you should be able to enjoy your decor as well. Mid century design is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships