Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
and need the assistance of a man or do you find it annoying would you rather her be uber independent?
If a woman is TRULY helpless and genuinely needs help, I have no problems being the knight in shining armor.

However, perennially needy women who have the problem-solving skills of a 9-year-old and who are whiny are something I have no room for in my life neither the patience to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
and need the assistance of a man or do you find it annoying would you rather her be uber independent?
How about something right in the middle. You need me for some things, and like me to handle some things for you, but you could do them if you had to.

Totally dependent & totally independent would just be a turn-off.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,915,827 times
I like it sometimes when they are just trying to be cute. But if we're in a serious situation or around friends, I would expect for her to attempt to get it done herself.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablees8951 View Post
I'm not kidding I tried every trick in the book! Hot water, butterknife, banging it on the counter, etc. This was like the ultimate jar lol. One of my gf's just gave me this rubber circle thing to open jars she says its amazing lol.

And I'm not helpless, haha, I am very capable of doing everything on my own. I got the jar open after 30 mins of working on it haha. What I was saying is that it would've been great to say "babe could you open this for me?" And I would've gotten 29mins and 30secs of my life back lol.
A. Pipe Wrench or

B. Awl

Either-or, not both.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I like the old gentlemen ways: holding doors, pulling a chair out, giving flowers, standing in a women's presence and seating after she does,holding her hand.

Lots of women like that stuff; unfortunately, lots of the same women who like it are perfectly willing to denigrate with the very next exhalation after "thanks," assuming they say it at all.

For years I was aggravated and about to give up holding doors at all because I was sick of women who couldn't be bothered with a simple "thanks", not even when a whole crowd of them would pass through a door. Perhaps for every tenth or fifteenth woman I'd get a thank you.

Then one day I thought "You know, there may be only a very few women with the courtesy to say thank you, but they deserve the gestures of chivalry. As for the rest, well, if I let them tear me down so that I stop then in a way the terrorists have already won, so to speak.

A couple of years ago I was struggling with a bunch of bags in a mall during holiday shopping. As I struggled my way through a door and allowed it to close behind me I heard a loud huff.

Glancing back I saw a woman pull the door open and step through, glaring at me. "Sorry," I said, shrugging to indicate that I had been preoccupied with my baggage.

Rather than let it go she said "I can see chivalry is dead. A gentleman holds the door for a lady."

It really rubbed me the wrong way and I snapped "If one happens by I'll be sure to hold the door for her."

I mean seriously?!?!?

I've been in other parts of the country where women seem determined to shove independence down your throat at the drop of a hat and I've been in places where simply holding a door earned a beatific smile and a beaming, cheerful "Thank you very much!"

I suspect some of it is simply regional but I definitely know which one I prefer!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Lots of women like that stuff; unfortunately, lots of the same women who like it are perfectly willing to denigrate with the very next exhalation after "thanks," assuming they say it at all.

For years I was aggravated and about to give up holding doors at all because I was sick of women who couldn't be bothered with a simple "thanks", not even when a whole crowd of them would pass through a door. Perhaps for every tenth or fifteenth woman I'd get a thank you.
I've noticed this as well, though I still try to open doors for women. Most of the time I'm only in the position to keep the door open after I've already walked through, which I also do for men when one is behind me. The men say "thanks" 99% of the time, women say it maybe 30-50% of the time. But I've also had both sexes do the same for me, so I'll continue doing it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
not me, I like a woman that hunts and can dress out her own deer.
but then you expect us to process it, cook it for you and then clean up the mess!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
I don't like much in an extreme form. Have to admit I do enjoy helping a girl in certain situations, just don't want an overkill of it.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Personally, I don't like any "acting." If a lady truly does not know how to do something or needs assistance in doing so, that's perfectly fine. But, as an act, it's patronizing behavior, IMO, that perpetuates negative stereotypes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships