Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 AM

146 posts, read 267,899 times

Advertisements

I think the drinking issue needs to be sorted out quite some time before two people agree to define themselves as in a 'relationship'. Accordingly, the pre-relationship logic works as follows: One person doesn't drink and won't tolerate a partner who consumes alcohol therefore they are unable to have a relationship with someone who drinks. The End.

By the way, I always thought that quirks were minor things like leaving the toothpaste cap off or forgetting to hang wet towels up after you've had a shower. An incompatibility issue regarding alcohol consumption is more like a serious deal-breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost&Found View Post
An incompatibility issue regarding alcohol consumption is more like a serious deal-breaker.
This is ridiculous! So my having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner, let's say, is a deal-breaker?! What if he likes to have a bag of chips? Is that a deal-breaker, too? Maybe I should demand he stops eating chips, or better yet, just drop him because of that?!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I disagree. We have several friends that are recovered alcoholics. One of them still has a problem with smelling it, and even feels uncomfortable looking at liquor advertising signs. Another friend doesn't have any problems with people drinking around him, but just don't try to split the restaurant tab equally with him if there's alcohol on it.

Otherwise, personally I'm very laid back about drinking. I will drink once in a while for fun, but I can also go for months and never touch a drop. I will forget that I have beer in the fridge. I have bottles of wine that were given to me as gifts and I've never gotten around to enjoying them. So for me, I would have no problems giving up drinking in front of anyone dear to me that was uncomfortable around alcohol.

Maybe with this wife, just the smell of the liquor gives her back flashbacks. Perhaps some professional therapy is needed for her PTSD. Just last year, my boyfriend's youngest sister started therapy for PTSD due to the torment she (and the rest of the family) suffered with their abusive alcoholic father.
What exactly are you disagreeing about?
You even said that this person needs professional therapy for her PTSD.

I have friends who have had problems with alcohol and bad experiences with alcohol in the past. It's funny that not one of them has asked us to curtail our appropriate and moderate consumption in front of them. Nor do they seem uncomfortable or avoid social situations.

I don't think any of us would have a problem trying to accommodate the discomfort of others, especially for those with an emotionally traumatic past. We are sensitive creatures. However, demanding or 'deal-breaking' because they can't get past their hang-up is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships