Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,970,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Any takers?
Afraid not. I've absolutely no desire to help them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,513,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Abortion itself isn't a problem. It was that they didn't balance accordingly. That was the real problem.

I'm all for eugenics and population control, but in China's case it was just a horrible plan they had in place. On the one hand, no one (who has ever been there, at least) should ever criticize China's efforts to rein in the growth of its 1.5 billion population. I know it's easy to judge for comfortable and psychotic Christians (such as the Duggars) who live first-world lifestyles in the land of opportunity, but the reality is so horrifying that it quickly stifles any qualms one has.

I myself, despite being numerically literate, really had no concept of just how bad it was. I saw the stat: 119 men, soon to be over 120+, for every 100 women. It just doesn't look like an important stat. But when you divide 119/100 you get 1.19 (I know, I know, easy so far, right?) 1.19 men for every 1 woman. Now consider that multiple in a population of 1,500,000,000. Suddenly it's a vast and incomprehensible difference.
"Needlessly killing female babies" Not the practice of abortion itself.

And I agree, it was a horrible plan.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM

324 posts, read 860,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Poetic justice for all those unneeded abortions. "Kill a baby, retire a penis".

I love that...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,313,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's really not much better in America if you're a single guy in your late 20's or 30's, we have to compete with 40+ men that have more money than us and pursue younger women. In your late 20's and 30's there's more single men than women in America. Also it may sound shallow but it's true in America if you're a man that is not physically attracted to overweight women you have way less options. If I was attracted to overweight women I would have more dates than I know what to do with. Then combine this with trying to find a woman over 27 that does not already have kids...it's not that great for men in America. At least not once you hit 30...single college age guys in their early twenties or whatever still do well because there's still so many single women without kids that have never married. Once you hit 30 it starts to get really hard. You're not only competing against older 40+ guys you're competing against younger guys.
How about the overweight guys? The obesity epidemic in America is not just affecting females. Also, many men think they deserve a beautiful mate, while they are at best average looking.

As far as China, who cares? No self respecting woman would want to live in a land where women are thrown away like trash.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM

437 posts, read 674,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's really not much better in America if you're a single guy in your late 20's or 30's, we have to compete with 40+ men that have more money than us and pursue younger women. In your late 20's and 30's there's more single men than women in America. Also it may sound shallow but it's true in America if you're a man that is not physically attracted to overweight women you have way less options. If I was attracted to overweight women I would have more dates than I know what to do with. Then combine this with trying to find a woman over 27 that does not already have kids...it's not that great for men in America. At least not once you hit 30...single college age guys in their early twenties or whatever still do well because there's still so many single women without kids that have never married. Once you hit 30 it starts to get really hard. You're not only competing against older 40+ guys you're competing against younger guys.
A good idea is to date outside of America, especially if you like Asian or Latinas. The Phillipines are great but watch out for sobs stories and "my family needs money..."

Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,961,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Afraid not. I've absolutely no desire to help them out.
LOL, sierra. I didn't think you would. I don't, either.

However, I will say that my stepdaughter, who is highly educated and something of a feminist, taught in China for a while and ended up marrying a Chinese man. Last I heard, she was happy so I guess they must have some enlightened men, as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,970,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
LOL, sierra. I didn't think you would. I don't, either.

However, I will say that my stepdaughter, who is highly educated and something of a feminist, taught in China for a while and ended up marrying a Chinese man. Last I heard, she was happy so I guess they must have some enlightened men, as well.
I don't care how enlightened or not they are. I'm simply not attracted to them.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,768,624 times
I've seen hot Chinese dudes I'd date BUT I couldn't see living in China unless we're talking Hong Kong or Macao. I, too, am turned off by the idea that so many devalue women.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM

20,580 posts, read 19,245,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
How about the overweight guys? The obesity epidemic in America is not just affecting females. Also, many men think they deserve a beautiful mate, while they are at best average looking.

As far as China, who cares? No self respecting woman would want to live in a land where women are thrown away like trash.

Hi smel,

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this forum, women are more forgiving of extra weight according to the principle that women also judge men on personality and status. Therefore weight depletes the male preference faster. The monogamous tendency in humans along with the the difficulty our species has in childbirth has bred very fussy men. Do you know of any other species that cuts their young out of their stomach half the time?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,508,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I want my pineapple chicken fried rice
My favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships