Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Tkt Tkt started this thread

44 posts, read 153,023 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Do you think being funny is something you are "born" with, or something you have to develop, train, like any other skill?

I haven't ever been really funny. Sure, I make people smile, or laugh a little through remarks and anecdotes, but it's never the kind of laughing where you think the person is going to suffocate, or wet his pants.

Other people on the other hand, seem to have the gift of being hilarious, no matter what they say.

So, what do you think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,437 times
Go take some improv classes.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,408,647 times
I think you can improve your "funny." Watch Borat, he studied humor.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
Hello,

Do you think being funny is something you are "born" with, or something you have to develop, train, like any other skill?

I haven't ever been really funny. Sure, I make people smile, or laugh a little through remarks and anecdotes, but it's never the kind of laughing where you think the person is going to suffocate, or wet his pants.

Other people on the other hand, seem to have the gift of being hilarious, no matter what they say.

So, what do you think of it?
Well not everybody is funny and that is okay. Everybody is different. I think some people have the gift of being funny. However it does not mean that you cannot learn how to be funny. Look at what these people are doing, what do they do that makes them funny? Do they act childish etc... Learn from them. Try to immitate these people..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
I don't think you can just become funny. I think you are either born with a natural ability for humor or not. I think you can study and maybe even take classes but being funny isn't just about learning timing and funny jokes. Some people (including myself) are just naturally funny. I've been funny ever since I can remember, I was always making people laugh ever since I could talk. Both of my parents were funny too. Actually my entire family has a great sense of humor and can be quite funny.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
People think I am funny but I beg to differ. I am dull and tasteless but the again my friends and most of my family think I am a riot. WTF is wrong with them people? Are they effing nuts!!!!?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
People think I am funny but I beg to differ. I am dull and tasteless but the again my friends and most of my family think I am a riot. WTF is wrong with them people? Are they effing nuts!!!!?
I think you're funny. You seem to have some of the same dry humor as I do.

For the OP's question, you can't force being funny. Some people are funny, but are stupid. Some people are smart, but aren't funny. Just focus on your attributes, coming off as trying to be funny will backfire.

Heck, even if you think you are funny, and getting good reactions, many others may think you aren't at all.

For me personally, I offend wayyy more people than I ever make laugh, but hey, that's me.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,286,787 times
I do think it is something people are usually born with. My son, who is now 19, had his teachers rolling on the floor in kindergarten - he is and always was just a child that had the humour and the timing of jokes built into him somehow.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I do think some people are naturally funny: some kids are just hammy or they do funny little impressions or have a quick wit. It's a talent like drawing or playing an instrument. Confidence plays a big part of it, though. A comic has the guts to speak up and make a fool of himself and say or do risky things. Some people are more shy and uncomfortable being looked at, but those feelings can be gotten over or masked. I believe that something like Toastmasters would help with that.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
People don't think i'm funny, they just think i'm funny looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships