Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Have you ever lived with someone that had anger issues? Someone that could have benefited from anger management therapy? How did that affect you and others around that person? Did their anger issues show up all of a sudden or is it something that's gone on for a long time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
I'm a very very happy person and cant handle being around people who explode or are just generally angry. So as far as living with someone like that I couldn't and wouldn't. If I didnt notice until we moved in together I'd leave asap. Life is too short to be brought down by such people.

I suppose it would be different if I knew this person for a very long time, in that case I'd tell them they need help. But personally I wouldn't end up being close to someone like that.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Have you ever lived with someone that had anger issues? Someone that could have benefited from anger management therapy? How did that affect you and others around that person? Did their anger issues show up all of a sudden or is it something that's gone on for a long time?
Yes, I have. It was the most toxic relationship I ever had. It started as soon as we started living together. I will tell anyone to run away fast from someone like that. Don't be stupid like I was trying to keep good credit and not break the lease. Don't worry about how things will financially work out. All of it was a small price to pay in comparison for safety, sanity and happiness.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
you have two threads now about angry/abusive partners.

Are you the victim, or is it a friend ? Or are you doing research for a thesis ?

I only ask, because advice is best given when you fully understand the situation.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
you have two threads now about angry/abusive partners.

Are you the victim, or is it a friend ? Or are you doing research for a thesis ?

I only ask, because advice is best given when you fully understand the situation.

Fair enough bobman. I also responded to another similar type post last night (Does anyone know the psychology of a "blamer" (someone who externalizes blame)?).

That post got me thinking a little deeper this morning about the many issues that come up on these types of forums about this particular subject, and how so many people suffer from this. So my answer to your questions is no and no.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM

It's cool, it's an area which interests me too.
I have learned a lot about people, while reading up on domestic abuse.

It's often nice to hear different people's thoughts on the subject.

There's no harm in asking questions.

It can be helpful to someone who's actually IN an abusive situation to hear other people talk about it, because then reality bites.

Sometimes we don't realise we are being abused.

Until I'd left, I didn't realise it was abuse, I just thought we "fought a bit".

Quote:
Fair enough bobman. I also responded to another similar type post last night (Does anyone know the psychology of a "blamer" (someone who externalizes blame)?).

That post got me thinking a little deeper this morning about the many issues that come up on these types of forums about this particular subject, and how so many people suffer from this. So my answer to your questions is no and no.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM

81 posts, read 190,303 times
Quote:
I've dated an angry person.. he was ok at first but the more he got to be comfortable he got angry/violent out of the blue.. this went on until i finally broke up.. THANK GOD! he made me so depressed and you have the right to be happy and at peace.. it's not worth being with a person who hurts you in any way!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
I think an excessively angry person is a mentally unhealthy one.

they need psychiatric help, even if psychiatry is false.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

90 posts, read 321,617 times
As was mentioned, living with an angry person is toxic. The outward expression of anger may be the last level of degradation, but control comes in, dismissing the other is present, projection of affect, moves to assuage eruptions, etc. It is a mind-numbing spin of discouragement w/o compensatoin. Move as fast as you can when you first notice it AWAY from the person and don't look back. Life is too short and other persons can be kinder.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM

How does one define an anger "problem" ?

What are people's opinions on when being moody, or having a short fuse crosses the line into being a problem ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships