Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,495 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and anyone.
I have a bit of a problem, and it seems none of my friends have experienced anything like it, and therefor, have no advice. So, I was hoping maybe one of you might know what I should do.
You see, I have this friend, a close freind, and I really would like to be more than friends with him. But, when I confronted him on the subject, he imparted to me that he doesn't think he can be anything but a friend, because supposedly relationships are based on sex, and he is, after some research we discovered, asexual. He has no sex drive, no romantic attraction whatsoever.
Well, I can live without sex, thats fine. All sex seems to lead to is trouble anyhow. But, no matter how I try to tell him that I don't care if he's asexual, he still thinks that I secretly find him disgusting for it, and that he can never have a valid relationship.
How would you convince him? How do I get him to understand that I don't need sex, or any of that, all I want is to know that he cares, and that maybe, no matter how disfunctional it might be, maybe we can be together. I mean, there has to be some feelings there, at one point in time he told me he wished we could get married.
I just need to find a way to show him that I love him, no matter what.
Please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
I've encountered a few women like that. Didn't think it would work.

However, one did eventually get in a relationship. Got him a green card!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You don't convince him. Enjoy the relationship you have with him now, he doesn't want more with you.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
This dude is a flake, walk away.
It's one thing to show somone how much you love them, but if you have to convince them, walk away.
While relationships are not based soley on sex (you have to have something to do in between), he has no romantic attraction you (assuming that's what you meant), walk away.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agapaythanatas View Post
How would you convince him? How do I get him to understand that I don't need sex, or any of that, all I want is to know that he cares, and that maybe, no matter how disfunctional it might be, maybe we can be together.

Please help?
The one thing that comes to my mind right away is to be absolutely, 100% sure that if you do end up in a relationship with him that you truly believe that a lack of sex or romancing will be okay with you in the long term. It's easy to say it, harder to do it. Don't go into it thinking that you will change him...be prepared to have a sexless and unromantic relationship.

The other thought that crossed my mind is that he simply does not want to have a relationship and is trying to come up with excuses to let you down more easily (blaming himself versus blaming you).

Lastly - be careful with how hard you try to "convince" him because you could come off looking desperate.....

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
The one thing that comes to my mind right away is to be absolutely, 100% sure that if you do end up in a relationship with him that you truly believe that a lack of sex or romancing will be okay with you in the long term. It's easy to say it, harder to do it. Don't go into it thinking that you will change him...be prepared to have a sexless and unromantic relationship.

The other thought that crossed my mind is that he simply does not want to have a relationship and is trying to come up with excuses to let you down more easily (blaming himself versus blaming you).

Lastly - be careful with how hard you try to "convince" him because you could come off looking desperate.....

Good luck.

I completely agree!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I lived with this for years and it's not easy. I hope you have examined and questioned your own motivation for wanting to be involved in a relationship like this. Will you be happy forever with this type of person? Why are you willing to settle for so little?

And forget trying to change him. He has deep seated issues that would take a lot of work to resolve. He is not normal. I'm not saying he is bad....just not normal.

Seems to me you are already getting what he is capable of giving.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I agree with all the above posters. If your relationship continues and you still feel the way you do and he is still skeptical I can only suggest a couples councelor to assist you both in making your issues more clear.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
Asexual could mean a lot of things, and it's his explanation or reason to not be in the position for him to reveal more about him.

A few possibilities.
1. No libido due to hormonal imbalance -- low testosterone, thyroid issues, etc.
2. Physical deformity with his member, that reflects his perception of his own manhood.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
If he doesn't want a relationship there is not much you can do to convince him otherwise. In the long run you have the potential to alienate him and break your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships