Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

I have notice some quirks over the six years me and pookie been together. He has certain habits for instance

if we enter a building we must exit out the same door we came in or he will sit down and then its ok.

lets say there is a pole even though its closer for me to walk on one side
he will turn around and walk on the same side. The theory is to help nothing to become in between your relationship

I put a hat on the bed and he about freaked

OCD

he must get the side in a 2 chair table at a restaurant that looks toward the front. This isnt a choice.

He must get the left side of the bed which sucks because he sleeps to the left i sleep to the right but if we switch we could cuddle more.
I argue over this and even was pushed over when I tried.

Are you or your partner superstitious or have OCD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
When I was with my ex , I don't really recall her or I being superstitous. But I do have a tendency to avoid 'splitting poles'.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Are those actions really OCD, though? Walking on either side of a pole, preferring a side of the bed or a certain chair? From my understanding, OCD is accompanied by terrible anxiety and dread--like if your guy doesn't sit in the correct chair, he has a panic attack. People with OCD often make repetitive motions (such as tapping the desk four times before typing) and are severe germophobes.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I put a hat on the bed and he about freaked
Ask him if he's ever seen Drugstore Cowboy.

To answer your question, yes, I had an ex who would actually turn the car around if he saw a black cat to make sure it didn't cross his path.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
To answer your question, yes, I had an ex who would actually turn the car around if he saw a black cat to make sure it didn't cross his path.
I know many/most people roll their eyes about such things, but come to think of it my life pretty much went downhill since a black cat was crossing my path on a daily basis. Nothing really becomes a saying/proverb/cliche without at least some truth to it and usually there is some anecdotal evidence, even though people argue it's generalization. It simply can't come out of the blue. Nobody woke up one morning and decided to just say it.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know many/most people roll their eyes about such things, but come to think of it my life pretty much went downhill since a black cat was crossing my path on a daily basis. Nothing really becomes a saying/proverb/cliche without at least some truth to it and usually there is some anecdotal evidence, even though people argue it's generalization. It simply can't come out of the blue. Nobody woke up one morning and decided to just say it.
Hmmm...that's really weird.

I guess I'm of the school of thought that if I give them power then that's the only way they can affect me, so I try not to acknowledge them and chalk everything up to fate/coincidence/Gods will/whatever.

You could be right tho.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I suffer mildly from OCD behaviour. I tend to wash my hands more than I should , and need for things to be symmetrical , well ordered and really clean. I am a bit of a cleaning maniac though I have taught myself to be less demanding of myself and others as it was making my life a bit miserable. Until recently I could have never got to bed if the house was messy even in the slightiest or leave the house without making the bed. I have been known to get up at night and clean. I don't sleep very well and also get plagued by stupid thoughts about whether everything has been out away.

I know it's stupid but find it almost impossible to do anything about it. I went through Cognotive behavioural therapy but it really didn't help at all. Knowing something is silly and being able to change your feelings are two different things. I can change my behaviour but not my thought pattern which is the real issue.

I suffer from Chronic depression and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and some of it is derived from being slightly obsessive about life. I over analyse everything and end up being quite stressed by unwanted thoughts . I am a control freak basically though getting slightly better.

Not superstitious in the slightest though. I couldn't care less about walking under a ladder or seeing a black cat !

Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
My SO no. My mother - yes. Maybe I should say she is a believer in the old wives tales and I have to sing over her not to hear her when she starts repeating the "My mom always said......." She is also quite medicinal with her cleaning and would do well in a hospital with all white walls and floors, because she doesn't like colors either.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
ok knowing others suffer from this helps me try to have more patience because I sometimes look at as it being selfish.Now I try now to sit a 4 chair table or booth and sit beside him because I want more than the wall to look at.
I cant take the left side of the bed or he does get ansy panic if you eill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Ask him if he's ever seen Drugstore Cowboy.

I just look up Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
I'll try to get it on amazon it got matt damon so it will be easy on the eyes and the director also did Good Will Hunting so it should be good.
but I dont want to encourage this behavior or give ideas lol
I think it will help me understand though.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I just look up Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
I'll try to get it on amazon it got matt damon so it will be easy on the eyes and the director also did Good Will Hunting so it should be good.
but I dont want to encourage this behavior or give ideas lol
I think it will help me understand though.
Matt Dillon is in it, I'm not sure about Matt Damon? LOL. Anyways, it's one of my favorite movies and there is a whole scene about The Hat On The Bed. Warning: It might reinforce his belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships