Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Lord until we quit blaming someone else for all our problems and learn to take responsibility for our own contribution to the "ills of society", it's never gonna get better.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
This thread is depressing and further evidence that our world is doomed.
Yes my sentiments exactly. 43 page thread of disagreements and resentment from both sidses seems to point to a massive failure of the feminist movement if you ask me.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Massive failure?

I would say the feminist movement has given women some pretty good rights and all in all has been successful.

We can now vote, own property, have some say in our reproduction, expect equal pay and not be treated like chattel.

How is that bad for relationships between man and woman and how is that a 'massive failure'.

Feminism is a very contentious issue and many people see radical feminism as the poster child but that is only one small aspect.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Massive failure?

I would say the feminist movement has given women some pretty good rights and all in all has been successful.

We can now vote, own property, have some say in our reproduction, expect equal pay and not be treated like chattel.

How is that bad for relationships between man and woman and how is that a 'massive failure'.

Feminism is a very contentious issue and many people see radical feminism as the poster child but that is only one small aspect.
I agree. Some people need a scapegoat for their unhappiness and whining about, and blaming women, is an "out" for them. Unfortunately some of them see any benefits to women as evil....probably because it scares them, they have to think in a NEW way and ruts and tradition are much easier paths to follow for the mentally lazy.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
The massive failure of considering feminism is to consider a 100 year movement a single movement. Anyone who thinks that the conditions and opportunities of women would not occur with a changing modern environment is both deluded and nefarious.

I eschew the concept of liberation which would imply a woman on the frontier trying to make a notch log house in British Columbia was disallowed by an order of patriarchal orthodoxy. Try exposure and malnutrition.

Yet the massive failure of modern women is to not take a lesson from Robespierre who lopped off the heads of people planting a "royalist" flower. Did the revolutionaries have real grievances against Louis? Of course. Movements change and names are co-opted for political and propaganda purposes until such point we have something akin to the Holy Roman empire which Voltaire noted was neither Roman nor Holy.

Here is my attitude according to the spirit of Voltaire. With its current shift towards masculinity, feminism isn't feminine.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree. Some people need a scapegoat for their unhappiness and whining about, and blaming women, is an "out" for them. Unfortunately some of them see any benefits to women as evil....probably because it scares them, they have to think in a NEW way and ruts and tradition are much easier paths to follow for the mentally lazy.

Excuse me, did ANY of them say that?!?!?

Aaah, life is good...

As for the bit about scapegoats for unhappiness and whining -- srsly:

POT / KETTLE - BLACK

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
With its current shift towards masculinity, feminism isn't feminine

Truer words were never spoken. I think some women forget.....they are still women. You do not have to become "masculine" and lose your female qualities. Is in unfeminine to earn money to take care of your children, pay bills, contribute to the household expenses? Is it unfeminine to own power tools and know how to use them to make your home a better place to live? I don't think so. Is it unfeminine to not be an excellent cook? I don't think so. Is it unfeminine to run a weedeater, rototiller or lawnmower....to do landscaping? I don't think so. Nor do I consider a man to be immasculine to do household chores. They are just chores that need to be done....work that needs to be done, and if you're physically able, there's no reason not to do those things.

My eldest son stayed with an aunt and uncle for a short time, many years ago. His aunt was giving him some chores to do and told him he could plant a few rose bushes for her. The uncle wouldn't allow it....said, "That's women's work! I'll find something else for him to do!" That is the kind of attitude that causes so many problems between the sexes.....that mentality right there! LOL Okay, have a great day everybody....and please try to get along. Trust me, it's worth it!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Right there is your problem. What you fail to realize is it's the feminists that are now the "supreme" folks you're talking about. Feminism may once upon a time been about gender equality, but it's been a long time since that's been the core of their ideology. Now it's primarily all about the benefits for women, regardless of whether or not it's fair or equal. The evidence is the laws they lobby for in the fact of mountains of research to the contrary. VAWA is a good example.
Sounds like you are saying feminism has gone sour because women lobby for issues that concern them specifically as a group. Isnt this what we call special interest group and isnt this done by others, minorities, religious groups, NRA, gays and lesbians, etc. Is this not done because particular groups feel there is a problem that needs addressed. Is it only the feminists that feel "supreme" in being lobbyists?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
This thread is depressing and further evidence that our world is doomed.
I disagree. There have been and always will be folks who are extremists. There are a whole lot of folks who are not like that.....both male and female. I don't think we're necessarily doomed, but we ARE evolving. Some folks fight evolution tooth and nail..screaming, kicking, lashing out at others, blaming others, and burying themselves in self-pity. Some accept their new, changing roles and become better and more highly functioning, and incredibly intelligent people for it. It's all about choices. Sometimes, the hardest pills to swallow are the ones that are the best for us.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
And the radical feminism that everyone (including feminists) decries was a product of the 1990s, which for whatever reason was rife with radicalism. There were radical Afrocentrists, radical environmentalists, radical gay rights activists, radical animal rights activists; pretty much any political issue had a radical branch. We can look back on all of this now and see how it was sound and fury signifying nothing other than people in Doc Martens and flannel shirts getting together and yelling about things. What we shouldn't do is think that just because some people are obnoxious that we shouldn't be mindful and respectful of the little nuggets of still-existing unfairness that got them all het up in the first place.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-21-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships