Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,924,255 times

Advertisements

Alright, well I haven't been on a date since I moved out of my apartment with a couple buds. That was two years ago. I'm now living with my parents for a while because they need financial help at the moment. So working full-time and going to school part-time to finish my degree has kinda burdened the dating scene.

Well spring semester started last week and there is a girl in this class I'm attracted to. First time I have actually been attracted to someone in a while. The thing is I'm not sure how to start a conversation with her. There is a guy in there that she talks to and it seems they have known each other for a while and they sit two seats behind me.

I'm trying to figure out a way to spark a conversation with her without her giving me a "Wtf" look. I don't want to just turn around and try to start one which would probably embarrass her. I thought about maybe emailing but that would be kinda dumb since she is in my class. Only logical way I thought about is when we are leaving class and maybe catching up with her while she is walking to her car.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,597,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Alright, well I haven't been on a date since I moved out of my apartment with a couple buds. That was two years ago. I'm now living with my parents for a while because they need financial help at the moment. So working full-time and going to school part-time to finish my degree has kinda burdened the dating scene.

Well spring semester started last week and there is a girl in this class I'm attracted to. First time I have actually been attracted to someone in a while. The thing is I'm not sure how to start a conversation with her. There is a guy in there that she talks to and it seems they have known each other for a while and they sit two seats behind me.

I'm trying to figure out a way to spark a conversation with her without her giving me a "Wtf" look. I don't want to just turn around and try to start one which would probably embarrass her. I thought about maybe emailing but that would be kinda dumb since she is in my class. Only logical way I thought about is when we are leaving class and maybe catching up with her while she is walking to her car.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Maybe talk to her about something having to do with the class you're in together? It would be a start....convo could evolve from that.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,939,189 times
Yeah, I'd be thinking along these lines,if you see her on her own, just ask something casual.
"excuse me, I missed the bit when we covered (.....), did you catch it ? did you take any notes I can copy ?"

See how it goes from there, it's only about the first ice-breaking, the rest will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Maybe talk to her about something having to do with the class you're in together? It would be a start....convo could evolve from that.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,410,426 times
Yeah, I tell ya, studying with a girl, all holed up in a dorm room or a basement is very sexy, no matter what time of day. Both bleary-eyed exhausted, half goofy from the long hours, that's when the proprieties are dropped, that's when the primal instincts come out. I think you need to do some cramming.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Yea, yall have the right idea. I'll give it a shot.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

18 posts, read 40,089 times
I just read this article yesterday:
Quote:
Conversation starting 101

(OPRAH.com) -- I think it was a famous city planner who said that if you build a statue or a sculpture or some similar object and put it on the sidewalk, you will often find several people looking at it and talking to each other about it, even if they don't know each other.

The object is a perfect conversation starter. So I have developed a theory -- the theory of the third -- which says that neither person should start a conversation by talking about himself or the other person directly. Instead, you have to find a third subject, a third person, or an object to begin the conversation around.

I had a perfect example the other night. I was doing a crossword puzzle while waiting in line for a movie, and this guy next to me, whom I didn't know, said, "Well, you're four days late," because it was the Sunday crossword and this was a Thursday.

And of course, even though he was commenting on something I was doing, it wasn't a question about me. It wasn't invasive -- "What do you do?" "Who are you?" "What's your name?"
It was something in between that we could converse about. At the same time, this guy was a little impudent -- he was looking over my shoulder -- and I liked that, too, but the fact is, he wasn't commenting on what I was wearing or really on anything about me.

And because he just talked about the puzzle, it led to a conversation.

The theory of the third explains why the weather is such a common resort. Unfortunately, it's so common as to be clichéd, but at least it's an attempt at neutrality -- like commenting on the interesting color of the wall you're standing next to. And that's the best way to start a conversation, with an attempt at neutrality.

This sounds like lame advice, but it's not. What you're saying is "I'm not going to invade your privacy, and you're not going to invade mine. We'll test each other out by talking about something that seems inconsequential and see if we want to deepen this a bit."

Now, in terms of ending a conversation, I had an aunt who was a Quaker, and she and my uncle used to have people over for dinner, and sometimes when the guests got up to leave, they would trail on and on and on and just keep talking -- until my aunt, who was a terrifically nice, cherubic person, would finally say, "Thee may go, or thee may stay, but don't ooze."

And by the way, the guy from the movie line? We're going to have lunch.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omgwtfbbq View Post
I just read this article yesterday:

Nice article and true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships