Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Succesful people don't try to use big words and psycho babble to try to make themselves look clever.

You do of course realise that spouting such nonsense is going to instantly alienate much of the population ?

Most girls are just gonna look at you and say "huh ?"
Then, as you walk away with your tail between your legs, you may hear giggling, and words such as "dork", "geek", or "loser".
In fact, your quasi-intellectual friends may relate to you tales of the girls making the shape of an "L" against their foreheads with their thumbs and forefingers.

you wanna be succesful ?
Keep it simple.
Very true. You can't just be intelligent; you have to be intelligent enough to know how to communicate without making people incessantly roll their eyes and bang their heads against walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Succesful people don't try to use big words and psycho babble to try to make themselves look clever.
and they also don't "drop names." Is it absolutely necessary to point out that a particular idea was hatched by a particular philosopher, or is there perhaps some ulterior motive to your rote memorization of quotes? Does a guy named "Steve" not sound as sophisticated as "Kierkegaard" ?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Hehehe , I suppose it does lose a little if you phrase it like that.........

"My buddy Al once told me that in some sense the PUA mechanistic model is well suited for someone who pursues sarging not out of any innate drive, but out of a rational understanding"

If you're gonna drop BS, then you might as well namedrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
and they also don't "drop names." Is it absolutely necessary to point out that a particular idea was hatched by a particular philosopher?

And even then, why not choose a contemporary source to discuss? Are you worried that people will laugh if instead of quoting Kierkegaard, you said, "Well, according to STEVE.."

Last edited by bobman; 01-14-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM

76 posts, read 126,802 times
Quote:

You do of course realise that spouting such nonsense is going to instantly alienate much of the population ?

Most girls are just gonna look at you and say "huh ?"
Then, as you walk away with your tail between your legs, you may hear giggling, and words such as "dork", "geek", or "loser".
In fact, your quasi-intellectual friends may relate to you tales of the girls making the shape of an "L" against their foreheads with their thumbs and forefingers.

you wanna be succesful ?
Keep it simple.
I'm well aware of the state of the world as it actually is, the biological impulses that drive human nature etc. And that is the source of the pessimism that freezes me. I understand what qualities would lead to success in 2010 America, but on a gut level I'm kind of repulsed both by the qualities and "success" itself. For a long time philosophy was used to back such feelings up. Schopenhauer for example perfectly expressed my feelings of despair. Only by a rather intense study of Hegel, could I become even moderately reconciled to the world-as-it-is, in an intellectual sense. Its a recent development that philosophy is showing me some of the good in the world as opposed to only the negative.

On a deep level however I do feel like I live in a demon haunted world, and the more I understand humans as biological gene driven creatures, the more utterly utterly alone I feel in this vampiric age, as though I've been thrown into a den of lions.

OF course what I posted earlier was not a list of pick-up lines I use, so I don't think its fair to use my internal intellectual debates, to assume that I make speeches of that sort in order to pick up. I understand "keep it simple" and the values of 2010 US pop culture. Its just that those values are so alien to me innately, that it takes a strong dose of Hegelian philosophy in order to reconcile me.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post
. . . Its just that those values are so alien to me innately, that it takes a strong dose of Hegelian philosophy in order to reconcile me. . . .
I am sure you just won them over. No really.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Dude, trust me.

You see a beautiful girl in a bar, you don''t wanna start spouting off psycho babble ?

"excuse me, you look lovely, if there's nobody wth you, could I buy you a drink ?"

That's what girls wanna hear.

She doesn't wanna know how Schopenhauer perfectly expresses your feelings of despair ??

She just wants a drink, and maybe a dance.

Trouble with your approach is it's too much of a target market.
sure, you'll get laid at a Dungeons and dragons tournament, or a Star trek convention, but at a bar ?
well..............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post
I'm well aware of the state of the world as it actually is, the biological impulses that drive human nature etc. And that is the source of the pessimism that freezes me. I understand what qualities would lead to success in 2010 America, but on a gut level I'm kind of repulsed both by the qualities and "success" itself. For a long time philosophy was used to back such feelings up. Schopenhauer for example perfectly expressed my feelings of despair. Only by a rather intense study of Hegel, could I become even moderately reconciled to the world-as-it-is, in an intellectual sense. Its a recent development that philosophy is showing me some of the good in the world as opposed to only the negative.

On a deep level however I do feel like I live in a demon haunted world, and the more I understand humans as biological gene driven creatures, the more utterly utterly alone I feel in this vampiric age, as though I've been thrown into a den of lions.

OF course what I posted earlier was not a list of pick-up lines I use, so I don't think its fair to use my internal intellectual debates, to assume that I make speeches of that sort in order to pick up. I understand "keep it simple" and the values of 2010 US pop culture. Its just that those values are so alien to me innately, that it takes a strong dose of Hegelian philosophy in order to reconcile me.

Last edited by bobman; 01-14-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I think your best bet for a chance at finding someone is in your Masters class.

Unless you want the stereotypical arm candy dumb like a rock gf. That would suggest that you have low self esteem and need an unfortunate partner to make you feel better about your self and your intellect.

A relationship is a two way, give and take (mostly give) partnering.

I think the KISS principle applies.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM

76 posts, read 126,802 times
Quote:
Hhehe , I suppose it does lose a little if you phrase it like that.........

"My buddy Al once told me that in some sense the PUA mechanistic model is well suited for someone who pursues sarging not out of any innate drive, but out of a rational understanding"

If you're gonna drop BS, then you might as well namedrop
Well I'm just letting you know where I'm coming from with my pessimism. Its not so much name-dropping as the ideas associated with those names are crucial to my thinking. The questions I'm raising here are not whether or not I have the ability to "dumb it down" as it were, but rather do I want to do that? And so all the philosophers and "big words" I mentioned are associated with the pessimism which makes me antagonistic to action.

Hegel says that real freedom is not doing what you feel like its submitting to the ethical imperatives of the larger society you live in. I've kind of went searching throughout history for better ethical modes to live my life by than the society I actually live in which is very anti-Hegelian. I saw history too much as good guys and bad guys and not as a historical process both natural and social.

Again the philosophical issues I'm talking about in this thread are SEPARATE from the actual PUA techniques that I would use in say a bar or a club. But this thread is more about how my pessimism, which is to a large extent philosophical and not just personal, prevents me from being a PUA. So philosophy is neccesary both for understanding the pessimism that holds me back, and possible duty that might push me forward. And right now despite the Hegelian argument I made in my first post, pessimism still holds the upper hand.

Look its fair to fear that someone who writes like I did may over-intellectualize while sarging, and thats something to watch out for. Fair enough. But I don't think you should assume that I'm going to use philosophical lines as part of PUA.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Actually, I just had a weird vision in my head of a remake of "the wedding crashers", where they use 12th century philosophy as a medium to get chicks......................

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
So what you're saying is that you NEED someone who has read all the same literature as you?

I understand the value of philosophical concepts, it just really, really grates on my nerves to see someone who must frame the discussion in the context of a particular book, or author. It is just too pretentious to for me to handle, personally. It has nothing to do with my interest of the philosophical concept itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships