Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

I know not all of them, but i have know some who have a cockiness and a attitude to boot. Some do have a arrogance about them, and like they have to prove something, don't know where that mentality comes from With what they see and witness, i am sure they have their own issues to deal with. I know some do have tempers, just dpends on the marines you are meeting, they are all different. the arrogance comes from the fact, that they know they are some of the best out there, to do there jobs, strong no cry baby types in the Marines. They have to have a tough exterior to get by with what they have witness and experience, cannot be an easy job. I know they are taught to be tough, but with there job they have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Look Chessie, I just left the Hampton Roads area of VA and it has a highly concentrated population of military men and women. That being said, it is not just my own personal experience with these men, but I watched others go through some of the most difficult relationships dating these men and women. It is because, as I stated in my last post, they are trained to think and react differently! That's a fact!
I would be lying if I said that I thought my experience was isolated. Therefore, I would not recommend it and I stand by what I said.

I think that other thing Chessie, is that I knew a woman who was murdered by her military husband. I was living in Germany on the base and my neighbor two buildings over who did my nails was stabbed to death. I also knew women who were beaten, including my self, by their military spouses and let me tell you that I understand that can happen with or without a spouse in the military, but because these men are trained to kill it seems to happen more frequently.

Again, I stand by the fact that I do not recommend dating anyone in the military and I would be be lying to any friend of mine if I told them differently.
Um....I have lived there for over 30 years. I have many family members and friends in the military. I stand by my experience as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not only one person's experience, Chess. You can't argue with statistics - even the military's own stats show the very same pattern.
I'll not argue that ex-military can be a different breed, and some plain bad-to-the-bone. What I disagree with is the idea that it is "impossible" to meet a decent Marine. I've known many. Navy seals, AF pilots...all kinds of military, and really all very decent men.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
What's the difference between arrogance and confidence? Between "self-centeredness" and "independence"?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What's the difference between arrogance and confidence? Between "self-centeredness" and "independence"?
Are you asking seriously? You don't know this?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Yes, I'm asking seriously.

Because what one person thinks is self-confidence can be viewed as cockiness, and what is being viewed as self-centered, might just be a self-reliant, independent thinker.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 AM

There is a HUGE difference in arrogance and confidence. Arrogance is really unappealing to most people. Arrogant people think they are better than others, and generally are overbearing, and always bragging on themselves. Pretty easy to distinguish.

This is from the dictionary:

Confidence stresses faith in oneself and one's powers without any suggestion of conceit or arrogance.

I can't imagine confusing the two.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Watch it, bucko! There is no such thing as a former/ex Marine!

I was engaged to one. Exceedingly intelligent, very disciplined, resourceful, a leader in every way. He became a millionaire by the time he was 31. I was in awe of him in these areas, but he was also a malignant narcissist. Arrogant, self centered, thought he was the authority on everything. Example, when we made an appointment to go to counseling, he actually told the therapist that she could learn something from him. There's lots more, but I'd write a book and I'm long winded as it is.

Anyways, he came from a pretty tough background and entered the military as a way of staying out of trouble.

Then I have my uncle, who went to college for four years before entering the Marines. He entered as an officer. He is a wonderful husband, father and human being. I introduced my fiance to him and the contrast was astounding. My fiance had no respect for anyone who entered the Marines the way my uncle did. To him, they were p*ssies. And he all but said so in their conversations. I was so embarrassed.

My son, brother and father are/were all military, though not Marines. And they are three of the most honorable men I know.

My point is that you will find arrogant, self-centered, ugly people in and out of the military. You will find people who are just as damaged. I know this from experience.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Solution...find yourself a sailor.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Who? The marines I met? Uh yeah they are gay? Yes believe it or not our USMC has HOMOS!!!!

Well of course the USMC has gays. The mind just doesn't automatically go there if the person reading this happens to be straight, kind of like you assumed we knew you were a guy.

My dad retired from the Marine Corps after 21 years and although my mom said similar things about his personality that you've said here but in everyday life I didn't notice that. He was however raised by parents that were Army, so his upbringing to respect and the discipline was there of course, so it came through with his kids. As far as being arrogant, he had a no nonsense attitude when it came to weapons, and things like that just as someone that spent 21 years dedicating their life to something would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships