Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Solution...find yourself a sailor.
Aye, but ye'll find quite a few swaggering swabbies. It isn't bragging if you can back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,422 times
Every marine I have met has been pretty arrogant and just a douche bag in general. I think it's just how they have it drilled in their heads that they are the best. But yeah, they are pretty self centered. Not ALL of them, obviously.. but I would say the majority are.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Oooooh *popcorn* Love this thread.

Soooo, what is it like dating a Marine (or former Marine)?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM

350 posts, read 383,648 times
Funny this question should be here. Is somebody else watching "Heartbreak Ridge" right now? (Marsha Mason and Clint Eastwood and their troubled relationship is part of the story line.)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times
It kind of is. I dated a Marine, and he sometimes he could be such a bore. I mean, he did not want to do anything exciting or fun, and he looked at me like I was strangely when I admitted that I was bisexual. I did not know whether he wanted to stop dating me, or was turn on by it. Either way I did not give a darn, because I stopped accepting his calls. And on top of that he had mental issues

Last edited by Rural City Gal; 03-05-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmutt View Post
Every marine I have met has been pretty arrogant and just a douche bag in general. I think it's just how they have it drilled in their heads that they are the best. But yeah, they are pretty self centered. Not ALL of them, obviously.. but I would say the majority are.
Well, on a tactical and operational standpoint, we are the best!

Okay, seriously, I am coming up on 14 years in the Marines. I can say that we are not all a bunch of arrogant and self-centered jerks. We certainly do have those types within our ranks though. Some of that is self-selection. The military environment is often very appealing to type-A personalities. Military traditions will often recognize achievements of individuals performing within the team, and this can really stroke a guy's ego if he forgets that it took everyone owning his/her piece of the rock to get it done.

I've also seen from Marines (and other service members) this chip on their shoulder mentality suggesting that everyone out there owes them something because they are serving in the military. As a military guy myself, I can't stand this attitude. It is belittling to others, and I don't care who you are, what unit you were in, or what award you got, the greatest heroes I've ever met have had a spirit of humility. And I've met some true heroes, too. When I meet an 85 year old WWII vet who was in the first wave at Iwo Jima and earned a Medal of Honor and sums up his experience with, "Well, I didn't do anything special. Anyone in my squad would have done the same thing." it sort of gives me little to no patience when I'm standing in line behind a fellow Marine at Taco Bell who blows up at the girl behind the counter and goes on a tirade about her "not having enough appreciation for those who serve our country."

Sorry, I got a little side tracked there... At any rate, I would argue that the vast majority of Marines really are decent people.

I enlisted in the Marines in 1999 and in 2002 began an officer commissioning program that saw me attending college as an active duty sergeant. I had a several female classmates tell me that I and the Marines in the unit I was close to were the most decent guys on campus. When my wife was getting to know me, she learned what a bunch of jokers we could be, telling me that she once thought that we Marines were all business all the time and had no idea what a bunch of clowns we could be.

We are not impossible to date. It didn't take my wife a lot of time or effort to bag me! But there is definitely a mindset that prevails within the Marine Corps that breeds confidence and even arrogance. We have our problems for a fact, but we are not all bad.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I never really figured on being in a relationship with someone in the armed forces...until I met a particular sailor.

I have family in every branch of the military, have known many servicemen and women. My significant other is a Navy Chief. There's no way to generalize. Some people are douchebags, some people are wonderful...just like in every other walk of life.

I will say that dating someone in the service is bound to be pretty difficult if you're not the type of person who can handle the fact that if it gets serious, a lot of your life will not be your own.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,041,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I never really figured on being in a relationship with someone in the armed forces...until I met a particular sailor.

I have family in every branch of the military, have known many servicemen and women. My significant other is a Navy Chief. There's no way to generalize. Some people are douchebags, some people are wonderful...just like in every other walk of life.

I will say that dating someone in the service is bound to be pretty difficult if you're not the type of person who can handle the fact that if it gets serious, a lot of your life will not be your own.
There would be a difference between active and former or retired.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Why would you life not be your own? What do you mean? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The military environment is often very appealing to type-A personalities.
Why is that?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Why would you life not be your own? What do you mean? Just curious.
A military spouse won't always have optimal decisions. For example if a spouse wants to finish a degree, he/she is limited to the academic institutions in/around the base at which their military spouse is stationed. This isn't so bad if you are in San Diego, but isn't so great if you are in 29 Palms. Career and work options are often limited. Also, housing can be a challenge, too. You want so badly to have the optimal layout of furniture items in your home, but when you move so often, it's a challenge. Then you find the perfect place and about the time you settle in, it's time to leave and go somewhere else! You also get separated from friends when your military spouse gets moved due to orders.

Of course, the poster to whom you asked the question may have other examples or mean something else entirely, those are just some thoughts that came to mind when I read that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Why is that?
I think because they know that they will eventually be given an opportunity to lead or take charge. Type A personalities also tend to be decisive, which is a quality that the military values. You want to see the troops get frustrated? Put a leader over them who doesn't know how to make a decision when one is required. Drives us crazy! Type As tend to embrace challenges, and even daily routine life in the military can often be full of physical, mental and ethical challenges. The military also recruits people with a low risk aversion, which is also consistent with many type As.

Of course, not everyone in the military has a type A personality, and even within type A personalities exists a lot of variance, but these are general qualities that tend to be consistent with people in the Marines and probably the other branches of the service as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships