Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She was incredibly caring and unselfish to NOT go with Clint. The woman was a tortured soul with no life of her own. She gave it all up for her ungrateful family. You can't really blame the teenage kids, but that husband deserves some blame. At the end when he was dying he admitted he knew how much she gave up for her them. He knew all along, but did he ever do anything about it? Did he ever offer her an out or anything to make her life any less inert? No, he just let her suffer unfulfilled. What a great guy. What a ridiculously mismatched couple, with the man getting what he wanted and her just going along. That whole family was lucky she didn't bail with Clint, much less the adult kids be so POd that she had, what, four days of some kind of connection and fulfillment in her adult life.
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't know. Most of the married females I know said she should go too. Maybe that says something about them wishing they could bail out of their marriages for true love too.

Heart vs Head. Nobody wins.
Exactly.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just playing devil's advocate...

What good did it do for her to stay? Look how unhappy and messed up her kids lives were when they became adults EVEN THOUGH she stayed???
Well, DA, that's very true. I have wondered why they were so screwed up. Probably cuz the dad wouldn't talk at dinner. Haha...kidding men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I wanted her to go.

I like the movie because it's real. There is no fairy tale ending, no story book romance - life doesn't always turn out the way you want it to - but you push on nonetheless.
Although I didn't want her to go, for her kids' sakes, I cry at that moment every time I watch the movie! My heart hurts for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, I think most single women want her to go and most married women want her to stay. At least that's how it ought to be based on our discussions on handling children, even if they're teens almost out of the house...

I, for some reason, seem to have a pretty "single" mind even when I'm married... Could be due to the lack of kids.
It really is. I wanted her to stay because of her kids. And while the husband wasn't what she needed, he didn't seem to be a "bad" guy either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Didn't the husband support her financially all those years? Or doesn't that count for anything?
Yes, only financially. She supported him in every other way. That doesn't that count for anything? (My ex husband took care of me financially for almost 18 years. I loved him for it. It wasn't enough though. The bad outweighed that.)

Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Didn't the husband support her financially all those years? Or doesn't that count for anything?
That is just a business arrangement. Anyhow, she gave up a teaching career, raised their kids and took care of the home - a full time job. She owes him nothing in return for his working for money. Plus, a fulfilling marriage normally entails a deep and reciprocal emotional relationship.

I have known women over the years just chomping at the bit for the kids to leave home in order to make their escape from emotionally vacant partner. It's their last chance at some kind of life for themselves, and one might as well be alone rather than lonely with someone else.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,808 times
Quote:
It takes more than financial support and/or security to make a real marriage. All the financial support/security in the world isn't really enough to atone for indifference or emotional, human neglect.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
It really is. I wanted her to stay because of her kids. And while the husband wasn't what she needed, he didn't seem to be a "bad" guy either.
Some of the finest people you will ever meet turn out to be some of the sorriest heart mates. I've never really known quite why that is, but it isn't a happy thing to observe.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Supporting her financially??

What, like buying the food she cooked, paying for the soap she did the family's laundry with, and the cleaning supplies she used to scrub up after them?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
!

Doesn't matter. They were incompatible and he could never "get" her, or fulfill her in the way that Clint could even if he tried. People need to find compatible partners, not just good and decent people to marry.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. They were incompatible and he could never "get" her, or fulfill her in the way that Clint could even if he tried. People need to find compatible partners, not just good and decent people to marry.
Well, the problem is too many people think "good and decent" is enough, so they settle - then realize their mistake too late. Sad.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
It does matter to me. When I had children I put them before my own needs. I agree about finding compatible partners to marry, but she already married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships