Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM

732 posts, read 1,039,051 times

Advertisements

Ok, despite Clint Eastwood being in it, this is the ultimate chick flick. I actually kind of like the movie despite being a guy but there's a couple of things that really bother me.

First, she cheats on her kindly husband but then blasts Clint, who is single, because he is getting ready to leave town. He has to because it's his job. Why is the cheater so angry? It's not like he seduced her. She entered willingly into her adultery but she blows up at him because he's apparently not willing to throw his life away to pursue a married woman.

Second, at the end, the brother and sister talk to their respective partners. The brother sees his bitchy wife at their motel and she's angry because he was away for so long at his dead mother's house. He immediately starts apologizing profusely and starts playing up to her, practically wallowing at her feet.

Meanwhile, the bitchy sister calls her partner on the phone and icily informs him she's not ready to come home yet. Apparently, she's mad at her partner because her mother was unfulfilled and was "forced" to cheat or something. So now all men are to blame for adulterous females! That's the take I got from this.

Like I said, I liked the movie. It had good performances but this has always bugged me. Men, take a lesson. If you're a good decent husband, it's your fault if your wife cheats on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,560,740 times
I guess it's safe to say you won't like the movie "Same Time, Next Year"

Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Knock yourself out!

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...on-county.html

I started feeling like a librarian tonight. Must be time for a loooong break!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
That's not my take on it at all.

I think she wasn't really mad at Clint. She was mad at herself for not being willing to change. He just happened to be there..... And he was willing to take her with him. He didn't want what they had to end.

The brother realized he wasn't a real prize to live with and that he took his wife for granted. He decided to rediscover the love he and his wife had once shared.

The daughter was in a bad relationship and she had wanted to get out for a long time. She was caught up in the do the right thing and you deserve to be unhappy circle. Mom posthumously gave her permission to change and be happy.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,940,928 times
This is my favorite movie.

I can't stand the guy and girl who play the kids as adults in the movie. Their acting skills sucked and they just didn't fit.

I don't think Francesca "blew up" because she was mad at him. I think her emotions were at a high and she just didn't know what to do. She had a family and a reputation that she would destroy if she left, but she would also be unhappy if she stayed with her family. She really had no way to win.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Ok, despite Clint Eastwood being in it, this is the ultimate chick flick. I actually kind of like the movie despite being a guy but there's a couple of things that really bother me.

First, she cheats on her kindly husband but then blasts Clint, who is single, because he is getting ready to leave town. He has to because it's his job. Why is the cheater so angry? It's not like he seduced her. She entered willingly into her adultery but she blows up at him because he's apparently not willing to throw his life away to pursue a married woman.

Second, at the end, the brother and sister talk to their respective partners. The brother sees his bitchy wife at their motel and she's angry because he was away for so long at his dead mother's house. He immediately starts apologizing profusely and starts playing up to her, practically wallowing at her feet.

Meanwhile, the bitchy sister calls her partner on the phone and icily informs him she's not ready to come home yet. Apparently, she's mad at her partner because her mother was unfulfilled and was "forced" to cheat or something. So now all men are to blame for adulterous females! That's the take I got from this.

Like I said, I liked the movie. It had good performances but this has always bugged me. Men, take a lesson. If you're a good decent husband, it's your fault if your wife cheats on you.
LOL, that reminded me of when a married couple I know saw that movie in the theater. She was crying her eyes out while her husband just sat there with his arms folded across his chest and said, "So what? It's a movie about a woman who cheats on her husband."

Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:

I'm gonna take a shot at this but there is that Venus and Mars thing...Francesca doesn't cheat because she finds Robert "hot" or because she needs a quickie since her hubby is out of town. She found a soul mate, a true love, someone who touched her as no one else ever had. Star-crossed lovers, if you will. She doesn't blame her husband for any of this and she feels guilty and in the end she makes the right choice and stays with her husband.

Who knows? If she'd gone with Robert she might have gotten sick of living in a truck named Harry. I'm sure the romance would have worn off in time. The fact that it has to end is what makes the story.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,334,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That's not my take on it at all.

I think she wasn't really mad at Clint. She was mad at herself for not being willing to change. He just happened to be there..... And he was willing to take her with him. He didn't want what they had to end.

The brother realized he wasn't a real prize to live with and that he took his wife for granted. He decided to rediscover the love he and his wife had once shared.

The daughter was in a bad relationship and she had wanted to get out for a long time. She was caught up in the do the right thing and you deserve to be unhappy circle. Mom posthumously gave her permission to change and be happy.
My thoughts exactly. I love this movie as well. It's very strange to hear a man's point of view on it though.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,334,278 times
PS...you described the husband as kindly, good, and decent. Maybe so. But did you not watch how she was basically invisible in his eyes?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:

Oh please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships