Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I tried joining a few CF sites. But my problem with so many CF groups is that they talk about ... nothing but kids and parents. Wha —? See, I am CF because I have -0- interest in this. I thought that CF groups were places where people got together to discuss politics, culture, fashion, entertainment, etc., outside of the context of child-rearing. In other words, I expected it to be just like any other group only the only thing that people didn't talk about was kids and child-rearing. You know, a place where no one mommyjacked or daddyjacked a thread.

But so many times, it's just the SOS. I'm just not interested in complaining about parents and kids, period.
the few CF forums I read have all that. Don't know which ones you're looking at, but the 3 I read have different forums for different topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Anyone that actually believes "children are insurance in your frail old age" have obviously never been in a convalescent home. Almost none of those poor older folks have ANYONE visit them, and almost all have children. I know, my mother is in such a place and I am just about the one person who ever visits anyone there.

You can believe that your children make you "rich." I'm quite content to be child-free and save the average $250,000 it takes to raise a human being from birth to age 18.

And there are no words to respond to something as spectacularly ridiculous as believing that a couple who have a kid are MORE married than a married couple who don't have kids. Brilliant logic. LOL!
My mother raised six children. I am the only one taking care of her now as she grows old and frail. So she got a return on the investment in only 1 out of 6...those are not good odds. You'd be much better off saving the money you would have spent on children and using it for a really good retirement home.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
My mother raised six children. I am the only one taking care of her now as she grows old and frail. So she got a return on the investment in only 1 out of 6...those are not good odds. You'd be much better off saving the money you would have spent on children and using it for a really good retirement home.
That's the way it is in my family, too.

Oddly enough, it's always been the childfree women who are the caretakers of elderly family members (I was my dad's only caretaker, and I'll be the only person to take care of my mom).

No one else seems to have the "time."

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

507 posts, read 514,011 times
There is the stigma more against women than men if they never get married or have children they have somehow failed in life or are completely alone. Some people are just happy that way and I say leave me alone.

I am someone who would rather be married and never have children, because children involve a lot of responsiblity and sacrifice. I don't know how I could live being a mother had having to bury my child, learn that they have been killed, molested, raped, abused, kidnapped never to be seen again, or what if they become a complete disappointment. I just don't want to deal with that and not only that when you have children you send them out into the world where anything can happen and then you get called into question as a mother/father

I once had a conversation with a friend's friend who questioned why did God give you reproductive organs and you don't want to reproduce. Well God also gave people common sense and that isn't used nearly enough when reproduction comes into play.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Anyone that actually believes "children are insurance in your frail old age" have obviously never been in a convalescent home. Almost none of those poor older folks have ANYONE visit them, and almost all have children. I know, my mother is in such a place and I am just about the one person who ever visits anyone there.

You can believe that your children make you "rich." I'm quite content to be child-free and save the average $250,000 it takes to raise a human being from birth to age 18.

And there are no words to respond to something as spectacularly ridiculous as believing that a couple who have a kid are MORE married than a married couple who don't have kids. Brilliant logic. LOL!
Thank you for this

When I worked in a rehab clinic for whatever reason those people were in there a lot of their family members didn't come by to visit or acknowledge only when it was time for them to die and collect a damn check. Children are not a guarantee to be your caretaker and the reality is when they have children of their own, taking care of an aging adult is the least of their worries, especially when the financial burden comes into play

I am too selfish to want to raise a child and would rather spend my money on myself or my own family members when the time comes

Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
I once had a conversation with a friend's friend who questioned why did God give you reproductive organs and you don't want to reproduce. Well God also gave people common sense and that isn't used nearly enough when reproduction comes into play.
Oh, that's just bizarre! One could make arguments about practically any body part "God gave us."

"Why did God give you two legs, if you're not going to become an Olympics-level figure-skater?"

Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Oh, that's just bizarre! One could make arguments about practically any body part "God gave us."

"Why did God give you two legs, if you're not going to become an Olympics-level figure-skater?"
LOL

So true but that is why I just continue to have my own beliefs and do what works for me. I am came to the conclusion a long time ago that I may never want to have children but definitely want to get married

Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM

What is this notion that it is just a piece of paper? It is more than just a piece of paper when one of you has to make a medical/moral decision at the hospital? Not to mention, unless you have it in writing, if I am not mistaken spouses have the upper hand in almost most if not all estate and inheritance decisions should you die

On the other hand, my generation has started to think it's cute to refer to each other as husband and wife and yet no one is anything more than just a babydaddy/mama/girlfriend/boyfriend of several years and not a single trip to the altar

I believe that "piece of paper" has some significance, well at least for me anyway

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I don't care what men think about my life decision

I don't care what women think about my life decision

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I am fine getting married, and I am fine not getting married. I have been with my SO for five years, and whether or not we get married, we plan to stay together long-term. Some things, mostly administrative, would change if we were legally wed, but we are happy now, as it is. I don't have any negative feelings toward marriage. I also don't have any negative feelings about us not being married. I don't believe a marriage is "just a piece of paper," it's a symbolic rite that stands for something. I also don't believe that the relationship is any less meaningful if a loving, committed couple decides to forego that, for whatever reasons of their own.

Children are something I would like to have; that may or may not be in the cards, due to a congenital issue I became aware of having only in the last couple of years. So, we may not have children, and this is life. Adoption is an attractive option, but not necessarily financially feasible. I have no issue with people living lifestyles in which children do not fit, in which case, it's best that they don't have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships