Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Hey a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to pay the bills!
lol...my wife and her gf used to joke about this. They always figured they'd wind up starving.

"You want me to do what? With YOU?!!!??? I don't think so."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
lol...my wife and her gf used to joke about this. They always figured they'd wind up starving.

"You want me to do what? With YOU?!!!??? I don't think so."

lol...yeah, I wouldn't make in that line of business! I do have my standards you know!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
It may not be someone's business how much you earn. But part of the vetting process is knowing is your potential partner is solvent, good or bad with money, etc. Rather than being defensive make it clear that you are financially responsible and provide for yourself.
Just to make it clear, they know how I make my money, I have a small business and investment income. They just don't believe me. Obviously I support myself well, that seems to be the problem. They don't think I should have what I do because I don't work as they do.

I will not tell them about my income in detail as I will not ask for their pay stub. This is crazy. These are dates and acquaintances, so it's no big deal to me how much they make or where it comes from, investments, pensions, etc. Don't care unless it's crack dealing.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Just to make it clear, they know how I make my money, I have a small business and investment income. They just don't believe me. Obviously I support myself well, that seems to be the problem. They don't think I should have what I do because I don't work as they do.
They probably just want to know which pole you dance at so they can visit!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Well, most people have jobs...

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
So you are mad that they are thinking that you make money in other ways? This seems like a trivial thing to get cranky about.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Maybe you are just dating nit wits that CAN'T handle money. I think its insulting they don't believe you. That is what I would be ticked at if it was me. Anyone that does not believe me on how I make ends meet...well, one thing I like to do is add up how much they waste when there is a cheaper solution. Its funny to watch the facial expression. And that is not even talking about investments...

You don't look like a drug dealer now do you? ;P

Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Maybe you are just dating nit wits that CAN'T handle money. I think its insulting they don't believe you. That is what I would be ticked at if it was me. Anyone that does not believe me on how I make ends meet...well, one thing I like to do is add up how much they waste when there is a cheaper solution. Its funny to watch the facial expression. And that is not even talking about investments...

You don't look like a drug dealer now do you? ;P
Hmmm, don't think so.

It's not just guys I date, but people in general- my future BIL being one. I'm not rich and no Caddy so not a drug dealer! It is very insulting that a person thinks someone is giving you something for free when you've worked hard to earn it yourself and they know it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I get this too. I don't live like a rich person and I think it confuses people that I sometimes don't work and don't get upset about it. I think it's probably because I'm relatively young to be not working all the time.

And just for the heck of it.....I'm not rich but I can get by!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-20-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Didn't want folks to think I was wealthy........

Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
I'm sure you get that b/c it is uncommon to be unemployed, not on a retirement income or welfare, and be solvent. For most people, that is a head scratcher. And that's why you get the questions.

No need to get all defensive about it. Just state the facts (you made your $ yrs ago in your business, and now have investments), and that should be the end of that. If it isn't, I would just ask why they keep probing when you already answered the question. It's just human nature to want to know if you're a trust fund baby or a drug dealer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships