Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,941 times

Advertisements

Is it because they're intimidated? Uninterested? Nervous? Bored?

Every now and then, I'll get a casual male acquaintance tell me all these things over text (I really like you. . . I want to take you on a date. . . blah blah blah), but then when I see them in person afterwards, they act like I have the black plague! They can barely hold eye contact with me, seem like they want to run away from me, and hardly even talk to me. Granted, I don't take these sort of "confessions" told through text very seriously (texting is the worst form of communication when you're saying anything remotely serious - or arguing), but I'm still baffled as to why a guy would say all these different things and then practically ignore me in person. Even if they just want to hook up with me, it's obviously not going to happen if they act like I'm invisible when we're face to face. Anyways, I am confused, so please enlighten me. I'm not lovestriken, but am more so genuinely perplexed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I would just call him on it. Its nerves and he probably does not even know he is doing it. Men also don't "look in the face" as much as women do. Not a sexual thing. Just watch a group of guys. Its funny because ALL the types do it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:59 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,939 times
Either you are insanely gorgeous, or he's just shy.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Yeah, I don't make much eye contact when sitting across the table, if the female's a super looker. Last thing I wanna get called is a "drool"

Besides, you have to consider I'm also making eye contact with the rack, which is equally important

Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Either you are insanely gorgeous, or he's just shy.
It is some of both. I always hold eye contact. It is something I have always been able to do. Some guys have a problem with it though? Maybe, dishonest intentions?LOL.......

Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,082 times
I sometimes do this, but not out of a lack of confidence. more often than not, it's because i am attracted to the woman, and I get too worked up if I look into her eyes.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,721 times
I'm a girl and not too good at eye contact either. Much of the time it makes me uncomfortable. For me it's just shyness, and I'd guess that's what it is for most men too.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,407,913 times
I effing hate that. I have a male friend that can't keep eye contact during a convo...he told it was b/c he is too busy scanning the room for chicks. Seriously?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Is it because they're intimidated? Uninterested? Nervous? Bored?

Every now and then, I'll get a casual male acquaintance tell me all these things over text (I really like you. . . I want to take you on a date. . . blah blah blah), but then when I see them in person afterwards, they act like I have the black plague! They can barely hold eye contact with me, seem like they want to run away from me, and hardly even talk to me. Granted, I don't take these sort of "confessions" told through text very seriously (texting is the worst form of communication when you're saying anything remotely serious - or arguing), but I'm still baffled as to why a guy would say all these different things and then practically ignore me in person. Even if they just want to hook up with me, it's obviously not going to happen if they act like I'm invisible when we're face to face. Anyways, I am confused, so please enlighten me. I'm not lovestriken, but am more so genuinely perplexed.
If a man is very attracted to you, he can get a hard-on when looking into your eyes, so for the fear of embarrassment, he looks elsewhere.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,013 times
I'm a notorious rack gazer. Is it just that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships