Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times

Advertisements

Ok, I NEVER ask for any advice so maybe that is clue enough how much I am struggling with this.

I have a good lifelong friend whom I'm still pretty close with and hang out a few times a week or so. He has just started a family with a wife, kid, and bought a new home. To this point, everything has been great for them. Financially and they were a happy family.

Just a short while ago his wife lost her job and the family's benefits. So my buddy, we'll just call him Timmy the Tooth for the sake of anonymity, has been very depressed and lost. He wants to provide for his family and be the man of the house, but he job has it's definite limitations and the hours are demanding thus ruling out another part time job.

Recently he came to me and told me what had happened and I knew right away he was hoping I would help. He wasn't asking for money or anything like that. He was hoping I had a job I could offer him.

So, here is the other problem. I do have a job I can offer him, but he is not at all qualified. We can train him, but there are others who have seniority and have been waiting for that position as it were.

This economy blows a big fat whale penis and I know there is zero chance of him finding any other employment to subsidize the loss of his wife’s job.

So, should I just say screw everyone else who had been working there asses off for me who deserve it more and give him the job? Should my moral conscious be ignored this time because of the economy and his responsibility toward his family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I say, never go into business with friends.

If he isn't qualified, that should just make your decision that much easier.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Offer his wife the job instead, that way feminism won't ruin their relationship.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Cant you promote from within for that position and offer him the lower position.
Cant his wife look for another job.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Never go into business with friends.
I generally agree, but I would never see or interface with him anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyBrownEyes View Post
Offer his wife the job instead, that way feminism won't ruin their relationship.
Not if my mother's life depended on it!! lol, just no way.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
nah give it to one of your employees that is better suited and has been busting their ass for you. you employees morale is gonna sink if they see your friend get the job too.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I completely understand your friends predicament but let me offer this one bit of advice. Never, never mix friends with business. Every story I've ever heard just turns out bad. You don't need to tell him that you have something to offer and yes, you are going to internally struggle with that decision but, you already know the answer to your own question because you already answered it in posting.
Things will work out. Be a friend and be supportive but I'd never get a friend a job or help them with money unless they were realllllly down and out. I have a few friends I'd loan money to because I know they are good for it but if this guy is already financially struggling, he's not going to pay the money back any time soon and you have to be okay with that or not.

If the wife just lost her job - isn't she available for unemployment? That's the first thing she needs to do is to get that process started and in the meantime start looking for another job. Times are tough.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Cant you promote from within for that position and offer him the lower position.
Cant his wife look for another job.
That's the problem, the lower job wouldn't subsidize their lost income sufficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
nah give it to one of your employees that is better suited and has been busting their ass for you. you employees morale is gonna sink if they see your friend get the job too.
Very good point with employee moral.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
How would you feel if you were that employee with the seniority and qualifications for the job yet you were passed over because the boss was "friends" with some guy who wasn't qualified?

Sure this economy blows but why add insult to injury by passing over employees who deserve the position more than Timmy the Tooth.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I agree with andrea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships