Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,417,560 times

Advertisements

They say that you learn about life, yourself, and relationships from a breakup. What have you learned or taken from your last relationship? I learned a lot from my last serious relationship so although I regret the relationship, I am gratefull for all it taught me. For instance, I learned to always keep your friends and previous life going even after your new relationship gets serious. In other words, don't give up your friends or stop the hobbies/activities you used to enjoy before you got into the new relationship. Keep some time for yourself and don't spend every waking moment together. Keep some mystery. Always keep yourself looking physically appealing. Keep yourself at 100%, don't slack by gaining 20 lbs or get lazy about shaving or doing your hair, ect. These are just a couple examples off the top of my head. So, what important things did you take from your last relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 PM

11,272 posts, read 11,040,832 times
Lessons from previous relationships - I NEVER APPRECIATED THE RELATIONSHIP UNTIL AFTER I HAD LOST IT!

Lessons from current marriage - I SHOULD HAVE IMPOSED A CREDIT CHECK AND A PSYCH TEST ON HER BEFORE I PROPOSED!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,382 times
I am remarried but after my first marriage failed, I decided to date around and figure out what it really was I was looking for and what I wanted and needed out of a relationship. There were several things that I learned but the most important lesson I learned was to drop the baggage of my past relationship at the door. Meaning, I could not look at every man as a cheater or abuser just because my ex was that way. I had to give men a fair chance and be open minded. I also learned that I had to be open and honest about all apsects of my life and what I was looking for. I was a single mother when I got divorced and my ex decided not to participate in our child's life. I wanted a man that was open to and willing to love my daughter they way her real father should have. I was open with men about that apsect of my life. I consider myself very lucky in that I found exactly what I needed and wanted four years into my single life and we have been together ever since.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,417,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I am remarried but after my first marriage failed, I decided to date around and figure out what it really was I was looking for and what I wanted and needed out of a relationship. There were several things that I learned but the most important lesson I learned was to drop the baggage of my past relationship at the door. Meaning, I could not look at every man as a cheater or abuser just because my ex was that way. I had to give men a fair chance and be open minded. I also learned that I had to be open and honest about all apsects of my life and what I was looking for. I was a single mother when I got divorced and my ex decided not to participate in our child's life. I wanted a man that was open to and willing to love my daughter they way her real father should have. I was open with men about that apsect of my life. I consider myself very lucky in that I found exactly what I needed and wanted four years into my single life and we have been together ever since.
That is great, you found out what you wanted/needed, you didn't settle, and you found a great guy. Stories like this give me hope!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
10000 volts out 3 watts back does not work.
dont orbit around others
live your life huck

Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,737 times
Default What Important Lessons Did You Learn From a Breakup?

I was raised to give important decisions time for rational thought. This led me, in the past to give relationships time to develop, to allow me to assess the positives and negatives. This didn’t make it easy to extricate myself from them when I realized there was no future in them, but did prevent any ill-conceived decisions. Then I had a short relationship that she ended quickly on what I thought were anything but rational reasons. Since, as always, I had done my best to make things work, this interested me in just what women want and whether my experiences and attempts to determine what was the best way to go, were really based in reality. So it wasn’t as much the break-up that I learned from as much as the interest in relationships that it developed in me.

While hardly my only source, City Data is a good site to get a feel for this, since many can post their thought in anonymity and without the need to make themselves appear to be acting with noble intentions. There is nothing wrong with stating what you want but the readers must also be free to draw their own conclusions. Women like this for themselves, so men can learn a lot from what they say. However, they seldom want to read the same candid comments from men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
They say that you learn about life

Things aren’t what they seem. For decades, women have been complaining about men and the things they do or don’t do. A guy can get his shorts in a very tight knot, trying to follow the prescription of every newspaper and magazine article on the subject. Meanwhile, women mainly go for those men they are physically attracted to and seldom even consider any of these other factors.

These only become and issue when they are interviewed, post divorce by some sociologist or psychologist. They then unload in a way that makes the failure of their marriage somewhat more “noble” than it actually was and more to the point, primarily the fault of their ex. These interviews then become part of some academic study that is quoted in a “lifestyle” article that purports to tell men what they should be doing.

Reading the actual comments of women stating what they want makes men realize how they have been manipulated and lied to by the media for decades.

Quote:
yourself

Like the vast majority of men, I am really not marriage material. This doesn’t mean that I’m not a decent type or totally clueless. Nor does it mean that I couldn’t be a good husband. However, most women are after a relatively thin slice of manhood and if you don’t meet their exacting standards, there are few opportunities and many men competing for them. Those women who aren’t competing for these types of men, probably have a good reason for this. Usually, these are reasons that a man should take his time to ascertain!

Finally, when a man who has been largely ignored by women for a long time, suddenly finds himself the object of the attention of one, he should be very sceptical.

Quote:
and relationships

Relationships are going down hill fast. There is too much “what’s in it for me” for most to last. At least, average men have the discipline of financial loss from divorce and as a result, have a much greater incentive for the give and take, to make a relationship work. However, for the type of men that the majority of women are most attracted to, this is usually a foreign concept. Unfortunately, it also takes two to tango, and in many instances, the situation is therefore hopeless, even if one party wants to try. It doesn’t help that many people, especially women, believe that compromise is a sign of weakness that it will lead to unhappiness.

Quote:
from a breakup.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,440,906 times
What did I learn from my last relationship? I learned that the happy moments weren't worth the pain. If I had to do all over again, I would of NEVER met him. He brought no permanent positive change to my life. A total waste of time.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,783 times
I learned not to change who you are just to make somebody happy.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,201,093 times
Yeah, I should have dumped him the minute he asked. " what's your PIN?"

Last edited by Thursday007; 09-21-2009 at 04:09 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,586,105 times
I learned to follow your head and not your heart. I was a fool to even enter this one relationship. Born again christian, my butt. Devious little biotch is more like it. But it had been a long time since I had a girlfriend, and gave in to the heart. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships