Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread has taken a turn for the weird. I'm speachless actually, and that is not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Background Story my husband and I were just discussing about a friend of ours:

35 yr old Professional Male dating a professional woman of the same age for 6+ months. Even though they were exclusive, he clearly stated that he was not interested yet in marriage or kids, but expected to marry and have kids one day. She made it clear that she was ready for both.

She was on birth control when they started dating, but apparently stopped after a few months without letting know him know. She got pregnant, didn't want to end the pregnancy because she was ready for a child and was afraid to abort and lose the opportunity because of her age.

He left her, she won child support which he pays religiously, but he refuses to have anything to do her or their son.

One year later he met a different woman, they dated for a year, got married and just had a baby girl- he absolutely adores his little girl and is an amazing father.

IMO, I think the first woman tried to trap him and/or get pregnant regardless. She is a conniving b*tch in my book and doesn't deserve him.

On the other hand, if he knew he wasn't ready for kids, why would he or any guy for that matter, put such great faith in a girl they date to be solely responsible for not getting pregnant? Why didn't he protect himself? So although not the same, I feel he is somewhat culpable and needs to bear that responsibility, which he does by paying child support.

But what about this poor little boy? - I just feel so bad for him. Is it that easy for a man to completely live as if that child didn't exist outside of being a financial responsibility? This is a man who is a loving father to his new baby girl .

Would you guys be able cut off all ties to a child of yours? Maybe I'm being naive, I know deadbeats do this all the time, but I guess I'm asking those men that value family & children.
I am in a very similar situation. My ex stopped taking B/C without me knowing. We had a child. The relationship failed...but it did not excuse me from being a dad.

I pay child support every month. I also have a warm, glowing relationship with my now 12 year old. I also have 2 little girls who my wife and I adopted. The 3 of them are like peas in a pod.

I was not ready for a child...but I also realized that I did not take precautions to avoid it. Yes...I trusted my ex...that obviously didn't work out. But I did not do everything I could have done either.

In this case...the guy in the situation had to make a really tough choice to ignore his son. I couldn't do that.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I am in a very similar situation. My ex stopped taking B/C without me knowing. We had a child. The relationship failed...but it did not excuse me from being a dad.

I pay child support every month. I also have a warm, glowing relationship with my now 12 year old. I also have 2 little girls who my wife and I adopted. The 3 of them are like peas in a pod.

I was not ready for a child...but I also realized that I did not take precautions to avoid it. Yes...I trusted my ex...that obviously didn't work out. But I did not do everything I could have done either.

In this case...the guy in the situation had to make a really tough choice to ignore his son. I couldn't do that.
You did the right thing and I'm sure your son is better off for having you in his life

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not in a relationship now, but if I were, it would be with someone who would be perfectly willing to get an abortion...someone who agreed with my stance on kids.

Not one person I have ever dated wanted to have kids. Not one.

Not with you anyway............

Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Nor with anyone else. Some people just do not like kids--why is that hard to understand?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Nor with anyone else. Some people just do not like kids--why is that hard to understand?
Dude, I also do not want or plan on having children, but you took it to a sub-human level. Your comments are quite disturbing and I'm sure you are aware of that. Honestly, I think you are simply motivated by shock value in your posts, which I can on some level respect.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 PM

Why would people be shocked? Is it because they take an overly emotional view of things? Look at things logically, and it makes much more sense. People who are pro-abortion take a logical view of not having children. People who are pro-life find themselves stuck, if they don't want kids. Pro-abortion is the more logical view to hold.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Why would people be shocked? Is it because they take an overly emotional view of things? Look at things logically, and it makes much more sense. People who are pro-abortion take a logical view of not having children. People who are pro-life find themselves stuck, if they don't want kids. Pro-abortion is the more logical view to hold.
If you're too lazy to put on a condom, then get a stash of morning after pills. Performing abortions each time you get your girl pregnant because you neglected to take precautions is murderious, plain and simple.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
Quote:
Problem is, I don't walk around with a sign.

There's nothing wrong with me--perhaps it's all of you that have the problem. Every person should be looking out for their own welfare, and stop worrying about others. It's more peaceful that way.
Nothing wrong with you, huh, ????? ??????? ????...something isn't right here..and it just keeps getting stranger..its almost like the strangest twilight zone episode i could have imagined yet strangely resembles someone i once worked with years ago..guess there are a few more then i thought who live on that particular cloud.. just please do not try to blot out our wonderful sunshine

Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM

You can walk around with blinders if you wish--I'm more pragmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships