Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
While the story got all these sweet comments "aaaww, sooo beautiful," what stands out to me is that the lady basically went through the same crap women of every age seem to be going through these days.

She just happened to get lucky. That's all.
You're right, her experience is no different from what single people of ALL ages have to go through in the dating scene. I think that us older people forget that while we get nostalgic over those best years of our youth how frustrating the dating scene always is. So the point is, that if you want to find a great relationship, keep throwing yourself out there, no matter how many frogs you encounter.

Also, for those that are struggling to find someone to date them, perhaps it's time for a little introspection as to their dating behaviour and what sort of company they are to others. Make sure that you aren't still obsessed over a former love. Stop acting so practical (and cheap) over your dates. Be interesting to spend time with. And importantly, it's less about having cute looks, but more about having a good sense of humour and a twinkle in ones eye that catches the notice of that special other person you are looking for. The author of that article described her now husband as "cuddly) which to me translates as being at least slightly overweight. The twinkly eyes suggests to me that he is a man that is happy about life and who likes to smile. And him having "varied interests" makes for a person that is good company for all sorts of occasions and isn't boring to spend time with.

Otherwise, as she mentioned Jdate more than a few times, she's Jewish and so is her husband. So they are of the same faith. And probably that's a more important compatibility factor for older people than it is to younger people just starting their adult life.

Quote:
But then a profile of a cute 59-year-old twinkly-eyed man put it back. His varied interests and closeness to his children got to me. His face even more. He looked smart, cuddly, and as if he got the joke. I e-mailed him and received a witty, sweet response.
And in reference to the thread about "clingy men", from their dating history, this man was not an alpha personality nor was he a clingy man, yet he cherished family ties and was willing to marry her and settle down happily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Here's a link with a photo of the happy couple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/fa.../08kelton.html

What a great story. Love is grand

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Nice looking couple! This should give many seniors some hope.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
women are relentless shoppers they will examine everything in the store item by item b4 they buy.
they do the same with men. i personally know a woman who did over 450 internet starbuck dates, rejected all of them and every one of them met the written criteria. internet suitors beware. auctions know how to get people to compete get excited and pay too much for too little. dont let it be done to you.
Classic

Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,799 times
What a nice story. I guess it can happen, huh. Sounds like she finally decided to really put a lot of effort into her dating life, and it worked.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
A story about a 60 year old woman looking for love and succeeding. Her perseverance was rewarded.

I loved this passage:

Looking for love at 60 - The Boston Globe
I think if I were to re-marry and find myself single again at 60...I'd probably just call it quits and stay single the rest of my life.

LOL....then I'd likely wind up the community gigalo in some condo complex in FL....roflmao.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
She certainly did luck out. If her witticisms are based in fact and she actually DID go on to the guy about colonoscopies on the first date, then she's fortunate she found "the one" -- I don't think many, if any, others would have her!

Besides, the majority in her age group seem to be contacting the likes of 45-year-old me.
Definitely. Two key points though:

1) At ANY dating age there are some decent people out there but so much of it is indeed luck and timing. You have to put in quite a bit of time and energy.

2) Yeah, I heard that all the time from gals I dated in their early 40's....they got ALL KINDS of contacts from guys 20 years older than them.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,281 times
Such an inspiring story. Like it, but had she been searching all her life till she became 60? That's perseverance alright!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
What a wonderful story!! Never give up! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,885 times
My aunt met her current husband at 70. Been married for 5 years and couldnt be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships