Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,386 times

Advertisements

That arm looks cozy. Would I be gay if I wanted one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,023,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I do realize that there are great girls out there. I see them every day believe it or not. Im actually friends with a few intelligent girls who have real depth and maturity like you. The sad part is when I am fortunate enough to meet one of these rare gems they only "want to be friends" even when I clearly state my romantic intentions, or are "taken by the most amazing man on earth" or a similar phrase to that.

So the girls who I would want to consider dating are already taken. Which adds to that dark cloud hanging over my head

So in other words to quote 70s rock band Sweet. "Everywhere I turn I lose, Love is like oxygen, you get too much you get too high, not enough and you're gonna die"

Im not getting enough and Im running out of air here
If something's not working, then fix it. Change is necessary. You can't expect different results from the same old thing.

Which I believe you already said you are trying to do.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
This thread makes me want a hug. Where's Sierra? She has the best hug smileys. There is way too much generalizing and assumption making going on here.

Men who believe women are only into a man's money, power, and status are sorely mistaking. There will always be a select group of women who do fit that bill, but contrastingly, there are men who are only into a woman's looks and sexual prowess (damn everything else). Not only is it unabashedly ignorant to let those few people determine you're view of the opposite sex, but it is also limiting. If a woman has to prove that she's not a golddigger just to put a man's overly suspicious and cynical mind at rest, that speaks manifold about the guy himself.

In addition, it seems that the only men harping constantly about how women only want money and are golddiggers and so on and so forth are the men who have little to no experience with that type of women, simply because they do not attract them. Cheap and broke men turn off women not only because of the lack of money, but because there is often an attitude and complex attached to the man. Going through the threads on here, I have seen that complex rearing its head multiple times. It's a mixture of bitterness and defiance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not being able to afford a nice restaurants, but to condemn them and display the ugly chip on his shoulder while simultaneously accusing women of being golddiggers is immensely unattractive at best. It's the bitter coated of wallowing in self pity.

I never cease to amaze at how jaded some of the people on this forum are. There is something wrong when people automatically jump to the worst conclusion.

Hi Honey I'm Home...

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif (broken link)

heehee

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
$20

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,376,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
$20

Is that your going rate?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Is that your going rate?

$20 is my LIFETIME rate

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,644,886 times
Gold digger: One-man prostitute

Prostitute: Person who exchanges sexual favors for money

Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,005,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So Urban Sasquatch, do you take your dates to McDonald's too?

Not all the time.

Generally, for a first date I like to do something like a trip to the zoo, and I pack a picnic lunch and some form of activity. I've devised a couple designed to get people to talk to each other, such as a set of cards which open up different kinds of topics, mixed in with a few joke answers and a few real answers, all meant to spur conversation.

IF things go well during that, I either ask for a second date OR, unless she's mentioned some prior engagement, I invite her to continue our time together. At that point I usually make it a restaurant, but something casual, like Chili's or On the Border, something where I'm not going to break my personal bank while providing for a sit-down atmosphere.

There will come a point where I feel things are progressing nicely and I'll be willing to shell out some dough on a more upscale evening; however, I've learned the HARD way that if things are left too open and women are given the option about where they'd like to go, a surprisingly high number of them like to make the quick kill, hit something high-priced and fancy. Quite frankly, if we're in the initial stages of dating I believe that a $100 or more cheque is WAY too much to be dropping on someone I barely know. If you're sniffing, rolling your eyes or telling yourself "Well, I'VE never heard of such a thing," it could be because as women YOU'RE NOT THE ONES EXPECTED TO PICK UP THE CHEQUE.

If finances aren't strained and I'm dating, I've no problem dropping some money on an enjoyable night out, no ma'am.

Unlike some, I realize full well that spending money on dating IS the price of picking through women until you find someone with whom you might be compatible. However, until such time as I've actually come to trust the woman is genuinely interested in me, I am NOT out to impress her with how much money I'll spend on her attentions.

Sadly, I ALSO realize full well that ANY woman who looks at our dates as ME paying and HER investment being her time, MY reward AND privilege being the pleasure of her company and nothing else, well, she's NOT the kind of woman you can count on as a partner long term, definitely NOT the sort to get hooked up with. Such women may feel free to go chase boys, children who have yet to make it all the way around the block and thus don't know any better. This man has had quite enough of such behaviour from selfish little girls.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,005,208 times
By the way, was the implication supposed to be that since I pointed out the inherent contradiction in sophialee's words (and believe me, the contradicting words were there, the ones I put in bold -- just in case you missed them) I might very well be "cheap" or "stingy", perhaps "not a good prospective mate due to being financially challenged" or some variation on the theme? Since I even BELIEVE gold diggers exist at all social levels I'm therefore inherently misogynistic and miserly?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,023,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Not all the time.

Generally, for a first date I like to do something like a trip to the zoo, and I pack a picnic lunch and some form of activity. I've devised a couple designed to get people to talk to each other, such as a set of cards which open up different kinds of topics, mixed in with a few joke answers and a few real answers, all meant to spur conversation.

IF things go well during that, I either ask for a second date OR, unless she's mentioned some prior engagement, I invite her to continue our time together. At that point I usually make it a restaurant, but something casual, like Chili's or On the Border, something where I'm not going to break my personal bank while providing for a sit-down atmosphere.

There will come a point where I feel things are progressing nicely and I'll be willing to shell out some dough on a more upscale evening; however, I've learned the HARD way that if things are left too open and women are given the option about where they'd like to go, a surprisingly high number of them like to make the quick kill, hit something high-priced and fancy. Quite frankly, if we're in the initial stages of dating I believe that a $100 or more cheque is WAY too much to be dropping on someone I barely know. If you're sniffing, rolling your eyes or telling yourself "Well, I'VE never heard of such a thing," it could be because as women YOU'RE NOT THE ONES EXPECTED TO PICK UP THE CHEQUE.

If finances aren't strained and I'm dating, I've no problem dropping some money on an enjoyable night out, no ma'am.

Unlike some, I realize full well that spending money on dating IS the price of picking through women until you find someone with whom you might be compatible. However, until such time as I've actually come to trust the woman is genuinely interested in me, I am NOT out to impress her with how much money I'll spend on her attentions.

Sadly, I ALSO realize full well that ANY woman who looks at our dates as ME paying and HER investment being her time, MY reward AND privilege being the pleasure of her company and nothing else, well, she's NOT the kind of woman you can count on as a partner long term, definitely NOT the sort to get hooked up with. Such women may feel free to go chase boys, children who have yet to make it all the way around the block and thus don't know any better. This man has had quite enough of such behaviour from selfish little girls.
I agree with everything you said here. You obviously put some thought into making the first date enjoyable AND you clearly stated that you have no problem taking a girl out on a more upscale evening should things be going well and the money is available. Sounds great to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships