Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 32,532 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Girl and Guy date for 6 years. Guy asks girl "Will you marry me?" Girls says Yes!!! Plan a wedding, everything is great. Buy a house, wedding is 1 month away, everything is great. Move into house, Girls says "I can't do this", leaves the ring, and you never hear so much as a peep from her.

Now fast foward 10 months from then, last friday, and Guy gets a phone call on his way home from work....guess who it is???

We ended up talking on the phone for over and hour an decided to meet somewhere to continue our converstation. Around 3am we decide to part ways but continue to talk to each other over the phone.

So, she ends up telling me the following things among other but you catch the drift -
  • I really screwed up, I can't imagine how bad I hurt you
  • I don't see myself with anybody else
  • I can't love somebody the way I love you
  • I want to be a part of your life again
I don't really know what to think about everything, its alot to process. It will take her moving a mountain to gain my trust to ever start a friendship again. She is taking counseling to try and get her life back on track as she admits to making poor decision which have cause most all of her relationships to suffer.

I have no idea how to handle this, has anybody gone through anything similar? Is it possible to become friends again or is that line to easy to cross again.

Thanks for everyting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
I'd be running for the hills, but I'm also a notorious quitter. ;-)

Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone173 View Post
Long story short. Girl and Guy date for 6 years. Guy asks girl "Will you marry me?" Girls says Yes!!! Plan a wedding, everything is great. Buy a house, wedding is 1 month away, everything is great. Move into house, Girls says "I can't do this", leaves the ring, and you never hear so much as a peep from her.

Now fast foward 10 months from then, last friday, and Guy gets a phone call on his way home from work....guess who it is???

We ended up talking on the phone for over and hour an decided to meet somewhere to continue our converstation. Around 3am we decide to part ways but continue to talk to each other over the phone.

So, she ends up telling me the following things among other but you catch the drift -
I don't really know what to think about everything, its alot to process. It will take her moving a mountain to gain my trust to ever start a friendship again. She is taking counseling to try and get her life back on track as she admits to making poor decision which have cause most all of her relationships to suffer.

I have no idea how to handle this, has anybody gone through anything similar? Is it possible to become friends again or is that line to easy to cross again.

Thanks for everyting
Although I haven't gotten through this experience and I'm much of a believer of second chances and giving someone benefits of a doubt, my first initial instinct is to tell you to move on and not take that route again. It's natural to have cold feet before marriage, but the way she handled the situation seems so cold-hearted and irrational, that I wouldn't suggest to jump into that pool again. There is lots of other fish in the sea.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
So, what was her reason for taking off like that?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM

371 posts, read 894,508 times
Not a chance. You only get to dump me once.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
It sounds to me like she wants to keep you a hangin`...

I feel like, she had her chance. It was all set up and ready to go!

Almost a year later, she contacts you, and throws this at you?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Quote:

Thanks for everyting

You seem like a really great guy to even stay on the phone with her for that long and hook up with her later on to speak some more........ The first 20min would of rapped everything up for me.

I think she will do you the same way even worse if she is given another oppportunity she will walk all over you like if were her rug and think you will always be there for her to do the same thing.

If you want to remain friends with her fine but don't go beyond that if you don't want to get hurt again my friend

Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,404 times
Quote:

Thanks for everyting
It is possible in some situations but it really depends on the two people involved. If it were me, I'd back off and just let her do the counseling. She obviously has things to deal with yet - as do you, from the sounds of it (the trust issues).

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Isn't doing the same thing over again and expecting different results a definition for insanity?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Girl got cold feet or Girl thought she'd do better. Girl didn't do better, so Girl remembered Guy. Guy said: you messed up my life enough; take a hike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships