Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I have no qualms about spending $100 on myself for dinner once a month or so. People who earn twice what I earn might spend twice as much, and those who earn half spend less.

Whether a dollar amount is excessive is relative.
Exactly! I treated a female friend to dinner a few months ago. She was struggling through a bad breakup and I wanted to cheer her up so we went to the Melting Pot. The check came to over $100 for the two of us and to me, it was no big deal.

If I was out on a first date with a guy, damn skippy he'd better pay. If we keep dating, eventually things will even out. My last few long-term relationships were pretty even as far as who paid for dinner over the months/years.

My last boyfriend insisted on paying for dinner every time. I managed to get my credit card out first a couple times, but he usually gave me a "look" when I did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't think it shows so much "desperation" as, maybe, trying to impress.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or something but I can't imagine paying that much for a dinner! If I'm gonna spend $100 on something it better be something I can still see, touch, hold and have later on. Which is why I hate putting things like restaurants and gas on my credit card.

I would be soooo embarassed if I thought, for one minute, that some man would spend that much on a dinner for me. It would tell me that he's not very frugal, will likely have money problems later in life and that is not my cuppa tea. There's a difference between cheap and frugal though so...
I agree having a credit card balance is bad enough as it is but using them for gas or eating out is the worst because you have nothing to show for it a few days later. At least if you charge an mp3 player or something you'll get a lot of use out of it while jogging or whatever.

I would spend that much on a woman I know but not one I've only been out with a couple of times. Unless you're a millionaire that dines like that all the time it just seems ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or something but I can't imagine paying that much for a dinner! If I'm gonna spend $100 on something it better be something I can still see, touch, hold and have later on. Which is why I hate putting things like restaurants and gas on my credit card.

I would be soooo embarassed if I thought, for one minute, that some man would spend that much on a dinner for me. It would tell me that he's not very frugal, will likely have money problems later in life and that is not my cuppa tea. There's a difference between cheap and frugal though so...
I don't know. My husband are usually shocked when we walk out of a restaurant and see that it only cost us $70 to eat there. A $100 dinner around these parts isn't that uncommon. And yeah, we always use a CC for gas and food, but it doesn't mean we're in debt or financially irresponsible. It does mean that we get a lot of free hotel rooms courtesy of AmEx points.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:

This is a good way of looking at things and I basically agree with it. It makes no sense to spend close to (or greater than) the amount of money that you take in on non-asset items such as meals, performances, etc...You can only look rich for so long, and doing this will most likely attract the wrong type of women like many people say.

Usually I go take my dates out for $25-50 meals, but occasionally I feel like going to a nice Italian place and the cost of drinks adds up very quickly. I don't see anything wrong with doing this occasionally if it's just a small amount of your discretionary income. Sometimes the best thing that you can do for yourself is take a night or two off from being frugal, have some fun, and get rid of the cobwebs.

If I ever make it out to Arizona, I'll take you out for a $150 lunch

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:

BTW, what's so wrong with trying to impress someone?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
When my husband and I go out for dinner, we can spend anywhere from 25 to 100 dollars. I don't like spending more then that, unless it's a really really exclusive restaurant for a special occasion. It is food afterall. I love a good steak and a good glass wine. However, both my husband and I don't eat that much, we can easily split a steak with couple of appetizers and be completely full.
Even we first started dating, we established that we both have small stomachs and therefore splitting was usually a decision for us.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
When my husband and I go out for dinner, we can spend anywhere from 25 to 100 dollars. I don't like spending more then that, unless it's a really really exclusive restaurant for a special occasion. It is food afterall. I love a good steak and a good glass wine. However, both my husband and I don't eat that much, we can easily split a steak with couple of appetizers and be completely full.
Even we first started dating, we established that we both have small stomachs and therefore splitting was usually a decision for us.
Oh, I'm afraid that just won't do for me!LOL....... Dah, you gonna eat all of yours honey?LMAO....................

Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 PM

146 posts, read 371,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Are the majority of single women nowadays this shallow?

12 Good Things That Come Out of a Bad Date - Love + Sex on Shine

I would sure hope not. The author seems to take pride in rejecting people and using people for free meals. Whether a date goes well or not, the person sitting across from you is another human being and deserves to be treated with some dignity.

The sad thing was that this article isn’t just one woman’s blog, its part of a dating advice site of all things. Is this the majority or minority of single women?
I don't think like that. But then again, I'm Aussie so the dating scene problems don't affect me. There isnt this whole dating game down under. If i go out somewhere with a guy, then i assume i pay my way and have a good time. If he offers to pay, im greatful. But i really don't look into "dates" so much, like i don't over analyse every thing that was said or done. Im cruisy, and so are most of my girl friends. The person who wrote that article is a bit of a biatch. =)

Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
The author seems to take pride in rejecting people and using people for free meals. Whether a date goes well or not, the person sitting across from you is another human being and deserves to be treated with some dignity.

The sad thing was that this article isn’t just one woman’s blog, its part of a dating advice site of all things. Is this the majority or minority of single women?
And this is exactly why many women are in the predicament they are in, yet continuously claim men are the only ones with the problems.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
[wanderlust76;12763035]I agree having a credit card balance is bad enough as it is but using them for gas or eating out is the worst because you have nothing to show for it a few days later. At least if you charge an mp3 player or something you'll get a lot of use out of it while jogging or whatever.

Exactly. Paying for stuff that's long gone, and you still owe for, is like paying for a dead horse.

I would spend that much on a woman I know but not one I've only been out with a couple of times. Unless you're a millionaire that dines like that all the time it just seems ridiculous.

I guess, if you're in a long term relationship, or celebrating an anniversary or something, it would be nice. If you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships