Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
you have a white guy as your avatar...how black could you be
If I posted my pic and showed you my sheer blackness the whole room would turn pitch dark.

I'm the love-child of Kevin Garnett and Wesley Snipes.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Thanks everyone - I really needed a laugh!!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
I'm just there minding my business trying to get things done. Then he asks me, "what are you here for, a ticket?" ...
Its like really, what the **** does he care what I'm there for? I found it to be an insulting comment that really was uncalled for. From what I know he wasn't a clerk, so it was unnecessary.
Given that a traffic ticket is, hands down, the most common reason people end up in court in the U.S. his comment seems perfectly reasonable to me.

And regarding (using your words) ignorant "Spanish" people: are there a lot of people in Texas from Spain? Or are you revealing ignorance about Mexicans, Mexican-Americans, and other Latinos by not knowing the difference between the language Spanish and people who are Spanish (just as someone who speaks English is not necessarily English).

Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Maybe he was an attorney looking for clients to represent
MLV, you reminded me of this joke (appropriate time-wise)!

Guess Who

A guy walks into a post office one day to see a middle-aged, balding man standing at the counter methodically placing "Love" stamps on bright pink envelopes with hearts all over them. He then takes out a perfume bottle and starts spraying scent all over them.
His curiosity getting the better of him, he goes up to the balding man and asks him what he is doing. The man says "I'm sending out 1,000 Valentine cards signed, 'Guess who?'"
"But why?" asks the man.
"I'm a divorce lawyer," the man replies.

The Best Lawyer Jokes & Cartoons with NO annoying advertising

Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Then he asks me, "what are you here for, a ticket?" As if me, a Black person couldn't be there for no other reason than being in trouble for a ticket. I was like, "well since you already know the answer why you even bother asking me? I'm actually here to sue someone...I'm sure you don't want to be next..."

Its like really, what the **** does he care what I'm there for? I found it to be an insulting comment that really was uncalled for.
Wow. You have a really tough life in front of you if you think that was either offensive OR racist.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
MLV, you reminded me of this joke (appropriate time-wise)!

Guess Who

A guy walks into a post office one day to see a middle-aged, balding man standing at the counter methodically placing "Love" stamps on bright pink envelopes with hearts all over them. He then takes out a perfume bottle and starts spraying scent all over them.
His curiosity getting the better of him, he goes up to the balding man and asks him what he is doing. The man says "I'm sending out 1,000 Valentine cards signed, 'Guess who?'"
"But why?" asks the man.
"I'm a divorce lawyer," the man replies.

The Best Lawyer Jokes & Cartoons with NO annoying advertising
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM

454 posts, read 688,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
If I posted my pic and showed you my sheer blackness the whole room would turn pitch dark.

I'm the love-child of Kevin Garnett and Wesley Snipes.
So you think being dark-skinned supposed to turn me on? I happen to be a redbone, sweetheart...

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM

454 posts, read 688,681 times
well sorr-eeeeeee everyone if I made it seem as if he was racist. I'll admit (for the 1st time ever on Citydata) that I 'may' have 'probably' been 'sorta' mistaken about this guy.

I still stand by my word though...White folks say the darndest things

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'm sorry the encounter made you feel that way...there are lots of insensitive people out there...enough to go around to all the races...however, it is possible that he was just making conversation...I am a white woman and people have said things like that to me many times in the past. I think we have all lost the art of pleasant conversation because we are all chatting here on computers too much! LOL But please know that many of us here in Texas do not assume stereotypical or discriminatory ideas about others ... hope you find more friendly people than not while you live here.
I agree with your assessment ma'am. Texans have a knack for being friendly and informal with strangers and are often given to small talk, especially in situations like this where there is plenty of time to kill. Although it is reasonable to believe that the OP has justifiably developed an internal defense mechanism due to previous negative experiences, I think this might be a case of overreaction on her part due to a misunderstanding of the nature of the situation.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
So you think being dark-skinned supposed to turn me on? I happen to be a redbone, sweetheart...
Joei, you are having a very apparent social disconnect with others. I'm not really thinking Dorrans was trying to turn you on.

I suppose he is sexually harrassing you? Maybe grounds for small claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships