Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times

Advertisements

Well lets start with this, I just called a guy in England and asked him what's a stone? Answer.....a rock?

So you've never heard the term used to describe $1,000,000? No! We call them Euro's pat, not dollars!

How about a Gorger? wait, that I know its a character in roll playing games, eats anything...ohhhh ok!

What's a mason make over there, union? Maybe upwards of 50,000 euro's a year...ohhh he's only claiming 10x that!

Pat, it's a little kid!

I agree, at least mentally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM

118 posts, read 282,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Well lets start with this, I just called a guy in England and asked him what's a stone? Answer.....a rock?

So you've never heard the term used to describe $1,000,000? No! We call them Euro's pat, not dollars!

How about a Gorger? wait, that I know its a character in roll playing games, eats anything...ohhhh ok!

What's a mason make over there, union? Maybe upwards of 50,000 euro's a year...ohhh he's only claiming 10x that!

Pat, it's a little kid!

I agree, at least mentally!

When did I ever say I was a mason? I OWN AN ASPHALT PAVING BUSINESS. I PAVE DRIVEWAYS AND PARKING LOTS. Call him back and ask him what a Romanichal is.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM

118 posts, read 282,368 times
Better yet "Pat the Gorger", don't. I'd much rather you believe I'm a "little kid". Better to keep the gorgers in the dark.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM

437 posts, read 675,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'm simplifying it, you're going out of your way to make it complex.

If you're worried about getting raped in divorce court, then don't live in New York or California, or Massachussetts, and don't live in a state that allows your divorce to be handled outside your own jurisdiction. Y'all make your own laws up there in crazyville, so move out.
I am just being accurate, not to mention removing your attempt to make one of those choices look like a poor one by including the action of hating women. Some of the other states may not be as bad but new laws can be passed or a capricious judge can act immorally. Even in a "good" state, the courts could still easily take half and impose high child support and alimony, as well as almost certainly take my children.

One thing you forget to mention in the decision process: why would someone choose to get married? What benefit is there to justify such a high potential cost? Most of the "benefits" of marriage can be cut off arbitrarily by the one spouse, particularly sex, affection, love, or domestic duties. You can get those benefits from non marital relationships or just outsource them to others (like nannies, cooks, cleaning crew, etc... yes I take a more conservative view of marriage with daddy bringing home the bacon and mommy cooking it).

Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Is it objective or rational to blame all women for Family Law decisions in this country?

No. I don't even want to get started in this.
I think one can certainly be upset with women when they:

1. urge for changes to family law that disadvantage men and then

2. use said law to disadvantage men.

The law is a tool (or weapon) that people use to inflict harm on others. Are you angry at the criminal or the weapon that the criminal uses? Too many people use the law to inflict unjust damage on others and too many women in particular use the familt courts (biased in favor of women) to hurt men and thus we hold women accountable.

I don't understand why some people don't get that. How often will a court rule atrociously against one party and the other party says, "you know, I didn't want to hurt him or her like that. Let me give something back..."

Women are supposedly emphatic and more compassionate yet they are more likely to end a marriage without cause on the grounds "I love you but I'm not IN love with you" and then take a man for everything he has. THAT IS NOT LOVE!!! If you truly loved someone, you would end the marriage with at least pain with them as possible both to not hurt them and because you realized that YOU were being the selfish one by ending a marriage for no cause.

As long as these abuses exist, fewer and fewer men will be married. I will NEVER get married as long as these possibilities exist and perhaps not even if the law is reformed because laws can always change. I find it sad but there it is: risk vs reward with risk very high and rewards found easily in other sources.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
Go ahead and do a copy/paste. Sure, my ex-wife took me for a ride. Big deal. That was a couple of years ago. Since then I've recovered quite well.
One of your first posts on this forum notes that you cannot afford to live where ever you were considering. You're thinking is entirely wrong if you believe throwing stones (lol) or dollar signs around is going garner you anything worth while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
You're right. I don't reside in the same universe as him. I'm not a soft, emasculated mangina who plays second fiddle to a woman. The poor man probably hates himself for marrying someone like you, but the fear of divorce keeps him from ever acting on his misery. Poor guy.
Look at you projecting. How original. Aagin, you're under the false impression that everybody is just like you. On the contrary, unlike you, my husband does not come to the internet to share dirty laundry. OTOH, his dirty laundry actually consists of clothing that needs to be washed. He's a funny, strong, intelligent and easy going man. And yes, he has a good marriage, a devoted wife, and happy life. Your misery loves company MO will be accepted by some, but keep in mind rejected by those that do not share in your misery. Deal

Quote:
Thinking about what it must be like for your husband just depressed me. I'm gonna have a glass of wine and try to forget about it. I'm leaving for New Orleans tomorrow (as long as my flight's not canceled because of tonight's snowstorm...#3 this month thus far), so I don't wanna get drunk or anything. But I've at least gotta have a couple of glasses after that one.
Enjoy yourself in NO. I haven't been there since Katrina, but back in the day it was a good time.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
They get Rush Limbaugh over there?
MEGADITTOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Couldn't resist!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
I think one can certainly be upset with women when they:

1. urge for changes to family law that disadvantage men and then

2. use said law to disadvantage men.

The law is a tool (or weapon) that people use to inflict harm on others. Are you angry at the criminal or the weapon that the criminal uses? Too many people use the law to inflict unjust damage on others and too many women in particular use the familt courts (biased in favor of women) to hurt men and thus we hold women accountable.

I don't understand why some people don't get that. How often will a court rule atrociously against one party and the other party says, "you know, I didn't want to hurt him or her like that. Let me give something back..."

Women are supposedly emphatic and more compassionate yet they are more likely to end a marriage without cause on the grounds "I love you but I'm not IN love with you" and then take a man for everything he has. THAT IS NOT LOVE!!! If you truly loved someone, you would end the marriage with at least pain with them as possible both to not hurt them and because you realized that YOU were being the selfish one by ending a marriage for no cause.

As long as these abuses exist, fewer and fewer men will be married. I will NEVER get married as long as these possibilities exist and perhaps not even if the law is reformed because laws can always change. I find it sad but there it is: risk vs reward with risk very high and rewards found easily in other sources.
Cite your sources that women's groups, specifically, lobbied for this. If you do, I'll read them, and if you are right, you win.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
He lives in or around Pittsburgh. I've tried googling the stone thing and came up with nothing.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Cite your sources that women's groups, specifically, lobbied for this. If you do, I'll read them, and if you are right, you win.
I've tried researching this stuff as well and usually don't come up with anything. Of course, I avoid blogs.

This is always a top divorce hit, but I can't vouch for the source...

Divorce Myth: I am entitled to and will be awarded alimony payments, probably for the rest of my life.

Fact: Most cases do not award alimony payments to either spouse, especially not on a permanent basis. Some states will award a spouse with temporary alimony payments if the judge determines the necessity to do so.

Divorce Myth: I will be able to win more than 50% of the marital property easily in my divorce.

Fact: Most states divide marital property and assets 50/50 between both spouses, except in rare cases involving abuse (spousal or child), or large disparities in income brought in by each spouse. Proof must be provided and the division of the property is up to the court.

Divorce Myth: I bought property or a car under my name while I was married, so therefore that property belongs solely to me.

Fact: Many states, like Texas, apply "community property" law to divorce. This means that any money earned or any property obtained (and any debt accrued) is the joint property of both spouses, regardless of whose name is on the ownership papers. Check with an attorney to find out about the laws regarding property for your state.

Divorce Myth: If my spouse commits adultery, I will be awarded everything in the divorce settlement.

Fact: It may seem very unfair if you are the victim in an adultery case, but your spouse is still entitled to their share of your marital assets. It is up to the court's discretion or the settlement agreement you, your spouse and your attorneys reach what percentage of assets and property you are actually awarded. Adultery does not guarantee you will receive all or most of your joint property.
Common Divorce Myths

"There are many stereotypes about divorce that receive a lot of attention in the media but can be quite harmful to both women and men. Here are some of them, contrasted with what recent sociological and psychological studies tell us:

Myth 1: Most men cheat on their wives.

Actually, the best designed study to date indicates that nearly 80% of men report that they have never cheated on their wives.

Myth 2: Most divorcing women are jilted by their husbands.

Many studies have corroborated that the great majority of divorces (two thirds to three quarters, depending on the study) are initiated by women. This makes sense because numerous studies indicate that men are generally happier being married than are women, they report less marital frustration and dissatisfaction, and are less likely to consider the option of divorce.

Myth 3: Women bitterly regret divorce.

Most divorced women do not regret divorcing. Moreover, divorced women are generally happier than divorced men. And one large study suggests that many middle-aged women become happier after their divorce. These women showed an increase in positive self-image and self-esteem and were inspired by their divorce to gain more control of their lives. Many enjoyed sex more after their divorce.

Myth 4: Women emerge from divorce more emotionally scarred and psychologically damaged than do men.

This is generally not true. Not only are divorced women happier than divorced men, but they are better off emotionally too. In study after study they consistently outscore divorced men on psychological tests to assess emotional health and well-being.

Myth 5: Ex-spouses are highly antagonistic toward one another, even to the point of acting unethically.

Divorced couples, of course, vary widely in the civility of their interactions. But about half of divorced men and women even describe their relationship with their ex-spouse as friendly or cooperative.

Myth 6: Most divorced men can remarry while most divorced women cannot.

It is true that divorced women are less likely than divorced men to want to remarry (after all, they are happier than the men with being divorced). But both groups do remarry at very high rates--and soon. About 80% of divorced men and 75% of divorced women remarry whether or not they have children, and most do so within three years.

Myth 7: The economic consequences of divorce devastate women more than men.

Women are generally worse off financially in the years immediately following a divorce. This has less to do with divorce than with the fact that women generally make less money than men. But, one important study indicates that, five years later, after most men and women have remarried, women's household incomes increased slightly more above predivorce levels than those of their ex-husbands. Furthermore, one very recent study indicates that women are generally more satisfied with their divorce settlements than men, and that this satisfaction is stable over time
Divorce Source: Seven Myths of Divorce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships