Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I swear one of the days I am going to set up a secular version of a monastery and a nunnery so all the unhappy folks that hate the opposite sex can just retreat from society and keep each other company
If you like, I can serve as a consultant for the project. I have some stellar references from the lay monk and nun communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And the most ridiculous part is most of them haven't even been married! Yet... they KNOW everything there is to know about marriage!
I'm sure if they printed out their posts and showed them to their date, they'd be married in no time. Women totally dig men who hate them intrinsically, right, ladies?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
And the most ridiculous part is most of them haven't even been married! Yet... they KNOW everything there is to know about marriage!
Just love all these threads, not ..

Usually guys that say :

"Women are goldiggers" are broke, "Feminism ruined relationships" are sad they can't treat women like doormats and that "Women are too picky" really mean "Women don't like me".

A bad experience and an entire gender has been villified.

It's a wonder people still get married

Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Usually guys that say :

"Women are goldiggers" are broke, "Feminism ruined relationships" are sad they can't treat women like doormats and that "Women are too picky" really mean "Women don't like me".
Exactly! I'd only replace "usually" with "always."

Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I'd only replace "usually" with "always."
I stand corrected

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
The idea of marriage was probably a woman's idea--I can't see a point in it.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The idea of marriage was probably a woman's idea--I can't see a point in it.
Actually men invented marriage. It was a way to mark them as property. Women's rights is the best thing that has ever happened in this world. Men that can't get a grip are just scared cuz they can't compete. They can't compete cuz they have the self esteem the size of a sunflower seed. It's exhausting reading this.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Just so you know, I'm simply quoting the links provided by gwyn.
Hi Braunwyn,

It was a quick demonstration that you were wrong about marriage having any relation. Now its left to speculate whether its the environment of marriage or the potential spotted in marriage partners. They are not mutually exclusive.

You really need to understand weak correlations.

Scatter Plots

I suspect I will see a weak correlation scatter plot showing earning potential having influence. Even a .3 person R is going to skew the singles demographic. It does not have to even be the most pronounced influence.

Quote:
Um, lets not move the goal posts, gwyn. You stated..."Its well known men start families when they have financial security and women tend to marry them"
Yes, and I still believe it.

Quote:
Lets not bring potential into the equation and contend with what we have. Again, it's not well known that men start families when they have financial security. The argument that married men earn more than their single counter parts as evidence of why they marry is lacking in logic. At best, you're trying to make, even force, the data to fit your hypothesis and sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Why? Its perfectly logical. What you mean is validity.

Completed education is earning potential. Its an asset. I don't deny that marriage also builds wealth. I expect there to be two actions at work here.

Quote:
Gwyn, I'm not saying you're wrong or right. What's clear is that the data is not backing you up. What you are providing as evidence (the two links) in no way supports your assertion. The link I provided actually argues against it and quite reasonably so. What's drop dead simple is the illusion of everything appearing as a nail when we're holding a hammer.
Of course the data is backing me up. At worst I have a plausible hypothesis. You just want me to be wrong. What you are essentially claiming is men who have economic potential are no more attractive to women then men who do not. So that mousy man in the corner is going to be the next CEO you think? Good luck on that one.

Quote:
The study is nonsense? The entire thing is copy/paste just so you know. What part of the study do you take issue with? I think it was a great idea.
Like that is a new idea? Credit the nazi Dr Mangle who was notorious for twin research. Its older than my grand daddy's torn underwear. Alpha male lions are deposed when they lose their prime which is a matter of circumstance inclusively.

Quote:
You can sing this until the cows come home, but you have in no way provided a reasonable argument for it. And your interpreation is no more meaningful than attributing the FSM or whatever tale. Again, that doesn't mean you are wrong, to be clear, it's just that talking and pondering the yonder about your preferences is not something that can be generalized.
Yes it can be generalized

Do you really expect that out of 100 women that none will succeed?

How Any Woman Can Attract Wealthy Men (http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Any-Woman-Can-Attract-Wealthy-Men&id=1062398 - broken link)

Women don't just like wealthy men(this is a gold digging myth), they like successful men. There is a difference. Is a six pack a day lottery winner a sexy concept?

Quote:
Settles what wage gap?
The original post was an argument to settle women down that there something positive on the wage gap front. I know a skewed demographic when I see one. Its as bad the phone survey predicting a Hoover win selecting a wealthy demographic of people with phones.

This is only suitable for a null hypothesis:
Women don't select men who show success potential.
You are on the wrong side of this one.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 03-11-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Actually men invented marriage. It was a way to mark them as property. Women's rights is the best thing that has ever happened in this world. Men that can't get a grip are just scared cuz they can't compete. They can't compete cuz they have the self esteem the size of a sunflower seed. It's exhausting reading this.
You, JSizzle are a Real Man.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
That could be done without marriage. Getting a man to stick around to take care of her while she's pregnant, or while her kids are too young to be of value--that might take marriage [the ties that bind].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships