Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

In light of this^^ I have a question mainly for the men on here. Why don't men today just wait until they have a good job, and their home is paid off first, BEFORE they start a family?
I don't know that those men intend to start a family. Birth control has been known to fail...especially if one or the other party forgets to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Maybe some guys don't want to live alone for the 30 years it takes to own a house?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't know that those men intend to start a family. Birth control has been known to fail...especially if one or the other party forgets to use it.
If a man does not want children, he can take responsibility himself and use a condom. He should be using one nowadays anyway. As you say, they are not fail-proof, but when used correctly, they are pretty reliable.

Men can also take the time to get to know their partner's stand on abortion before getting involved. As a woman who knew she did not want kids, I made it a point to be clear about such things from the start.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Yes, but there are some exceptional men out there. That's the one in ten thousand that they are always on the lookout for.

Has it ever crossed your mind that you are part of a loud, vocal, minority?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If a man does not want children, he can take responsibility himself and use a condom. He should be using one nowadays anyway. As you say, they are not fail-proof, but when used correctly, they are pretty reliable.

Men can also take the time to get to know their partner's stand on abortion before getting involved. As a woman who knew she did not want kids, I made it a point to be clear about such things from the start.
Yes, I LOL when men play the victim that they couldn't force the woman to have an abortion. Nobody forced that guy to stick his willy in there. Also, there is such a thing as communication. I couldn't even fathom getting intimate with a woman that would not make a good mother. I also discuss what would happen if she would get pregnant. And I'm personally against abortion, so an abortion would shake me up pretty bad. I share that. The victim role is silly. I'm going to watch more baseball now.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
And, of course, we all know the tremendous boons that the Na have given the world...
Yes, peace and quiet and harmony. I much prefer the wars, cheating, politics and pollution that stem from the sorry sacks of sagging testosterone that call themselves "men"...

Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yes, peace and quiet and harmony. I much prefer the wars, cheating, politics and pollution that stem from the sorry sacks of sagging testosterone that call themselves "men"...
I don't think any of those are gender specific traits. Those traits are traits of those that abuse power. I think this world will always squabble and fight wars as long as people pay attention to skin deep differences, and over value worthless pieces of metal.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I don't think any of those are gender specific traits. Those traits are traits of those that abuse power. I think this world will always squabble and fight wars as long as people pay attention to skin deep differences, and over value worthless pieces of metal.
I agree that they are abuses of power, but my point was to show what LEADS to those abuses of power - the urge to excel, the drive, the need to prove oneself, to be better than the next guy, to be #1 - all primarily male traits, at least in Western society.

Look at the popular sports that men watch - all substitutes for battle and domination. Even the terms used in those sports are warlike. You can't get away from the fact that the world has been primarily patriarchal to this point, and although we're still here we have a world that's constantly teetering on the edge of annihilating itself, due to the Overachievers Club.

Last edited by SifuPhil; 03-12-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's on the agenda.

Maybe it was just your sentence structure, which from where I sat/sit clearly suggested an established financial situation that attracts women. Then, potential was brought in. Whatever, we're running the same ground and I don't like repeating myself.
Hi Braunwyn,

Who ever said anything about attraction? I said people marry people when they have financial security generally speaking. I assume attraction is a controlled variable.

Quote:
Yea, "and women marry them" suggesting, as stated above, established finances compared to their single counter parts. How you're not seeing the backwardness of the assertion, I don't know.
I just don't really know what you are saying or what the problem is. Women don't usually like to marry men with no money. Again, that is why that statistic shows up the way it is. It has little to do with attraction necessarily . Women will often not marry attractive men who are broke. However attractive men do tend to make more money on average.

Quote:
It was not nearly as thoughtful, imo. Most likely you ripped one on the couch, or perhaps you have stink on the brain given your situation, and attempted to wing some of the diaper joy around. OTOH, I did spend the two minutes to create the special order plot just for you rather than pass along a generic used item. Again, I was dissapointed that you didn't appreciate it.
I am still a bit lost. Actually it was sweating in a stink.

Quote:
This would have been fine and well, but offering the evidence of finances between married and singles is simply not the way to go about it. Again, there are a bunch of assumptions going on that don't sit well with me given the evidence. To be frank, what I often find on this forum is that as long as a quote and a link is provided, that should be enough. People don't take the time to follow up and the interpretation stands. I'm not saying you do this since I'm thinking of someone else right now, but I get the feeling that it's meant to be an overwhelming tactic and that's beyond goofy. Whatever that's an all together different issue I have with the dialog that goes on here.
What is wrong with assumptions? I assume the bus will arrive at the stop on time. This is not a journal of scientific review and we are not looking to reduce the chance of a type 1 error to a .001 like a pharmaceutical. What I am saying is generally believed. It is up to the progressives to prove their point. So in those cases where you think people take things too seriously, is this not the case here where perhaps your standard is too high? I don't have rock solid irrefutable evidence like a moon rock. I just have a plausible theory. Yet I don't see any women here picking the 0-20k range for their next bench warmer. It seems like a good theory that women pick men who are linked to financial resources. Though I make a finer point on it that it is not just the money women are interested in. I would think someone who can make a lot of money with ease may be an interesting person. I can't fault women for that or a desire for some financial stability.

Though on the other hand I suppose I am guilty of the same. Sometimes I am exaggerating with humor as with the poodles, and other times I am being stodgy.

Yet the main point once again was over the skewed demographic which is factual.

Quote:
Age does skew in that statistic, but that makes the twin study all that more interesting. I find my own situation to be interesting in this context. I wonder if their is correlation between marriage and post-marriage education attainment. This would be interesting to look at.
There is nothing wrong with it, but it only proves an effect or confluence.

Quote:
I'm sure that's the case, but I figure it's a small segment of the population since most people are not wealthy and never will be.
You are assigning your own standard of wealth. A 20k difference in salary is a difference in wealth.

Quote:
I don't think it was taken out of context, rather it looks like a matter of structure. I keep going over it and seeing the same things, but you keep saying that's not what you meant, which is fine. This could have been established pages ago.
Starting families was in the context of marriage in my statement. The word marry was in the same sentence. You could read it either way I guess. Though I think one can see the context I was speaking about was marriage especially after the two marriage links.

I think that is enough for me on this one.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hi TKramar,

Or deliberately lies about it as is the case with a co-worker of mine who is now in another state due to that lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships