Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,617 times

Advertisements

Hi! I married a woman who was previously married and had two kids. They were in a relationship and/or married for about 6 years. They were divorced about 4 years when we got married. I recently found where she has a stash of all their old love letters to one another hidden in her closet. In the stash were other momentos like movie ticket stubs (from dates I suppose) etc. Also, she has pictures of them together in her sock drawer.

This bothers me. She claims she's keeping the items for her kids, to show them that their daddy at one time loved her. He has since remarried, and he actually ended the relationship with her when he met his now current wife.

This whole ordeal kind of angers me. I feel as though she is holding on to the items because she hasn't quite gotten over him. Why would you show old love letters to your kids? But she refuses to get rid of them, and says its my problem that their existance bothers me.

Am i being out of line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
In my opinion yes, you are out of line. Keeping mementos from the past does not mean she loves you less or is in any way less committed to your relationship.

I keep old love letters and postcards because they are part of my past. They don't get in the way of my relationship now, they are just keepsakes for when I am old and I want to reminisce. They are innocent reminders of what once was.

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
You knew she was married.
Therefore it must have been obvious she'd been in love.

You're judging her by your standards. Not a good start to marriage.
If she wants to keep them, then it's your problem, not hers.

If she has children by her ex, should they be adopted, or put to sleep, so she never thinks about her ex ?

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altanticrgp View Post
Hi! I married a woman who was previously married and had two kids. They were in a relationship and/or married for about 6 years. They were divorced about 4 years when we got married. I recently found where she has a stash of all their old love letters to one another hidden in her closet. In the stash were other momentos like movie ticket stubs (from dates I suppose) etc. Also, she has pictures of them together in her sock drawer.

This bothers me. She claims she's keeping the items for her kids, to show them that their daddy at one time loved her. He has since remarried, and he actually ended the relationship with her when he met his now current wife.

This whole ordeal kind of angers me. I feel as though she is holding on to the items because she hasn't quite gotten over him. Why would you show old love letters to your kids? But she refuses to get rid of them, and says its my problem that their existance bothers me.

Am i being out of line?
Sounds like you are insecure in your relationship. She is married to you, the ex is now married to another woman, what are you worried about?
Just because one holds onto mementos from the past, doesn't mean she's living in the past. Marriage is about trust - if you have none, you have no marriage. You should talk to your wife and explain how you feel - but really, I think you may be blowing this way out of proportion.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
Since there are children shared between them, I think you may be reacting a tiny bit. Although I'm not sure it is appropriate to show love letters to kids at any age. The photos are a nice keepsake. My parents have been divorced for 27+ years but I still love the two pictures I have of the two of them together. It doesn't sound like she is pining for someone else, as much as she is trying to hang on to a little history for her kids.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,608 times
I still have old lover letters and photos.
Not anywhere that would make me have to see them everyday, and really I hardly make the effort to look at the pictures let alone letters.

I think having them in the sock drawer is a bit much. But having them is ok.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
I have all the love letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother when he was overseas in WWII. They are absolutely priceless to me. I also have all of their wedding photos and others which I had restored and redid several so that my mother and all my aunts had a few original and some copies each for Christmas one year. I also have their old wedding bands.

My grandfather died when he was 40 and she had remarried, but kept all these things, including his wallet all intact since he died, and I feel so blessed that she did. We all knew there was a box in the hall closet - it was no secret.

I, too, have letters and pressed flowers and things like that which may be all I have in my old age as good momentos of my life. Having them or not having them has no bearing on the person I am with at the present time nor does it mean they are 'holding on to someone else.' They are just pieces of your life story.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I would never throw away old love letters just because it bothered you. Get over it. As long as you aren't finding anything current, whats the problem???

Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
You are way out of line!

Did you think she began life when she met you? We all have history. Some people like to keep mementos of their personal history. I personally don't but I don't begrudge others for doing so.

Has she not completely gotten over her ex? Probably not. Some of us never get completley over past loves. And maybe we shouldn't. But that doesn't mean she loves you any less or has misgivings about being with you. It isn't that black and white. Life and love are full of gray areas.

It sounds as if you have some trust/insecurity issues to work on. Many of us do. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that the issue is with you and not her or him.

Btw, what were you doing snooping through her things anyway?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Eh, I'll bite. I think it's weird. The photos for the sake of the kids, sure. Pack 'em up in a box and store them somewhere safe until the kids ask about it. But the love letters? I don't think that's something that needs kept. I don't even want to see the love letters between my parents, and they've been married almost 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships