Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I tried it. What a mistake..I put specific requirements on what I was looking for and got tons of wrong replies. Guys from out of state, guys old enough to be my father. I went on two dates: One didn't look anything like his picture and the other was so uptight and boring!!! Never again

I'm afraid people would think I'm uptight and boring. I can't risk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
wanderlust76 wrote:
Quote:
On sites like eharmony there is no cherry picking people based just on how tall they are eharmony doesn't let you be that shallow. You're matches are sent to you based on personality compatibility mostly. I fail to see why this concept eludes so many people.
I don't see narrowing down your search based on height or other factors to be shallow at all, I see it as necessary information. There are certain requirements that I have and if someone might be compatible in some ways but doesn't meet those requirements then it's not going to work so why waste any time on it? There is a range of height, a range of age, she must be a nonsmoker, and I've got to see a photo. If a woman is a half a foot taller than I am or twenty years younger but we have compatible personalities it still isn't going to happen.
Also a photo or preferably a number of photos is probably going to tell you if that certain physical chemistry is there based on your attraction.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i like the free sites better

eharmony doesnt give you much freedom. i like match, but all the people on free profiles are a pain. as a guy you write a bunch of msgs but a lot of them never get read because you cant tell if you are writing to a paying or free member. free members cant see their mailbox.

OKC is my favorite. you know everyone can read your msgs. POF is the same, but i found the quality there really sucks.
I think it depends on where you are. I'm in Chicago and almost every email I send gets read. I'm assuming they dont read it if they aren't paying. I rarely see that.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. But most people will do it for just a month and if they haven't met Mr. or Mrs. Right by then, they'll declare the whole thing to be a failure.
I tend to go through phases. I'll talk, email, meet with women for one month, and if they don't go so well or I'm not interested in them, I'll get uninterested in the whole dating process altogether for a while. Then after a month or two I'll jump back in it and take another spin.

I basically just do what I feel like.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
False. It caters to people who are looking for serious relationships, not short-term flings or one-night stands.
You definitely didn't see the tv ad, Denny

It had two people hugging and smiling, all that lovey dovey and they looked well over 40

Besides, I heard friends ranting that their matching mechanism sucks and they don't let people search and talk to whoever they like. And they have a quiz which allegedly takes an hour to fill. For the love of myself, I can never sit my bum to fill something out for an hour. I've got springs in there which pelt me on to the ceiling in 60 seconds......

Seriously, I have greater success in the real world. Women simply show up wherever I go, considering the amount of time I spend outside. I go home only to sleep.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You definitely didn't see the tv ad, Denny

It had two people hugging and smiling, all that lovey dovey and they looked well over 40

Besides, I heard friends ranting that their matching mechanism sucks and they don't let people search and talk to whoever they like. And they have a quiz which allegedly takes an hour to fill. For the love of myself, I can never sit my bum to fill something out for an hour. I've got springs in there which pelt me on to the ceiling in 60 seconds......

Seriously, I have greater success in the real world. Women simply show up wherever I go, considering the amount of time I spend outside. I go home only to sleep.
So two people hugging and showing that they're in love says they're only looking for a hook up? Good grief.

As for the matching mechanism, it's my experience that the people who whine about it just don't want to look at themselves and ask if the problem is them. People are always quick to find fault with someone or something else. In regards to your other complaints, it tells me that your friends aren't very smart. If they were, they would've done some basic research on the service before signing up. It's common knowledge that eharmony doesn't let you search, doesn't let you talk to whoever you like, and has a lengthy personality test. Tell your friends to do their homework next time they sign up for a dating site or anything else for that matter.

And as for your claim about women simply showing up wherever you go, whatever. People on the internet tend to make all kinds of wild claims about themselves. Usually, the people who go on and on about how great they are or how successful they are are the exact opposite. The real success stories don't need to brag about it cause they don't care what anonymous strangers on the internet think of them.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
I know that everybody is going to hate me that's having trouble with online dating meeting somebody special but here's my story. I was divorced about 5 years ago by my longtime wife. When the divorce papers were made final I signed up for Yahoo-personals. One month later (maybe 3 or 4 women talked with on the phone or emailed back and forth a few times) I met a wonderful woman and started dating her. Three months later we were married and celebrated our 4th anniversary recently. She is truly the love of my life and I guarantee we'll be married until one of us dies. I only regretted that I had bought a full year's ($100) membership when I only needed one month to find the right woman ($30). A month by month membership would have been more cost effective. At least my new wife is worth well more than $100 probably. :-)

Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So two people hugging and showing that they're in love says they're only looking for a hook up? Good grief.

As for the matching mechanism, it's my experience that the people who whine about it just don't want to look at themselves and ask if the problem is them. People are always quick to find fault with someone or something else. In regards to your other complaints, it tells me that your friends aren't very smart. If they were, they would've done some basic research on the service before signing up. It's common knowledge that eharmony doesn't let you search, doesn't let you talk to whoever you like, and has a lengthy personality test. Tell your friends to do their homework next time they sign up for a dating site or anything else for that matter.

And as for your claim about women simply showing up wherever you go, whatever. People on the internet tend to make all kinds of wild claims about themselves. Usually, the people who go on and on about how great they are or how successful they are are the exact opposite. The real success stories don't need to brag about it cause they don't care what anonymous strangers on the internet think of them.
If you haven't had that experience, I'm sorry. I also understand you are atheist, which cuts out the best place to find women - the church.

It's not about bragging, I'm just encouraging the readers to stop wasting time on dating sites and take it into the real world. The internet and dating sites in general have severely handicapped people in social terms.

How many of the folks are discouraged at how it never works, people turn out to be liars, deceptive pictures and the actual person shows up and looks TOTALLY different than the pictures, the amount of scams that go on, how half of the people on every dating site happen to be sitting in Russia or Nigeria..... the various threads on C/D stand testimony to it.

On the other hand, people do find success via dating sites, but you don't hear the good stories as often as the horror ones.

And those co-workers of mine, I smply tagged them along to some of my parties from meetup.com, a totally free site. They simply thank me every time for the amount of people they get to meet, free of cost.

If a 50$ site won't let people search, that's a scam. Who will trust internet code or some javascript robot find a potential life match. FAIL

Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM

And for the record, I'm off the real world dating market too. I'm happily involved with this girl who's fond of me

The dating sites can all go ride on a humpless camel

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
My experience: I have tried online dating and it has never worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships