Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times

Advertisements

So I've been dating this guy for about a month, he's a fireman, I met him through a guy I used to date who I currently live with who is a retired fireman...I guess you are beginning to get the picture about my situation being a little bit complicated.

First great thing about him is that he's 38 (in my perfect desired age range, 14 years my senior), he's never been married or had any children, and he doesn't care that I live with a guy I used to date. I mean, not in the sense he shrugs it off, but he is not intimidated by my ex (like a lot of guys are) and wants to be with me regardless. I'm so incredibly physically attracted to him it's insane, he keeps his body in great shape and I can't keep my eyes off him. Being that every little thing turns me off, that's incredibly rare for me to find.

He is so romantic, he lives like 70 miles away from me in the Hamptons, and since I don't know how to drive or have a car he'll drive all the way there and back if he needs to see me...we've had such amazing dinners by the water, he took me kayaking for the first time, he does everything to prod me outside of my comfort zone, but he does it in such an adorable way.

I met his mother and older brother (I really wondered why so soon?), his mother is a little old lady who kept nodding at him, commenting on how smart I was as if I wasn't even in the room, and asking me invasive questions...His older brother kept on hugging me and asking his mom if she was "afraid" to hug me. It was a little strange.

The sex is amazing, he always makes sure I get off before he even enters, and I just have an orgasm simply from making out with him.

He's so thoughtful, he remembers everything I say to him about myself, my childhood, and my parents. He remembers all my little quirks and remembers to do things like pick up my favorite brand of veggieburgers to barbecue. I get an "I miss you" every morning and a "I'm thinking of you" every night.

Here's the negative, however:

He drinks. A lot. I mean, I drink a lot, too, but I go out a lot. I probably go out to a bar or nightclub around 4 or 5 times a week. He doesn't go out very much (he says it makes him tired, and that annoys me, because I like going out), but he drinks a lot. Even during the daytime. He'll play softball during the day and get drunk while doing that. I think that's bizarre.

He's bossy. Like, I like a man who directs the flow of things, and I'm generally a submissive type of person, but I hate when someone talks for me, and he does that. Like his friends or someone will ask me a question and he'll answer for me. I am not 4 and I can speak for myself. I did like Minority Report, and I would watch it again. I guess an extension of that is that he is sexually aggressive. He expects, rather than asking...but it's not in an ugly way, he's still charming to me, it's just that he doesn't have that deference.

He inquires about where I am and what I'm doing when I'm not with him too often, and suggests that I shouldn't go out or cancel my plans. I'm 24, I like to go out. I work hard and I play hard. If he thinks I'm going to start staying home on nights I can't get out to the Hamptons, he really is in for a rude awakening.

How concerned should I be about these issues? Should I defer to his judgment or rely on my ex's judgment since he's apparently known him for longer than I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
He's trying to make you dependent on him by sucking you in slowly. Watch out for this one!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,986 times
He sounds like a good guy but drinking+bossy = dangerous! Drink = drunk = may abuse. Not always but it can happen.

He inquires about where I am and what I'm doing when I'm not with him too often, and suggests that I shouldn't go out or cancel my plans. - This sounds really unhealthy, honestly. I would say be very careful, and I think you should be concern.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
His cons are stronger than his pros. Alcoholic and controlling? I'd be running. Being more of a free-spirit, I could never be with controlling man. So early in a relationship? Come on.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
If he's as great as you say he is, he likely wouldn't have been single when you came around.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
He's freaken using you. Been there done that. They like em young and dumb. Sorry to be harsh. And girl stop partying so much and save that money instead for a car.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I think there's a difference between being manipulative and just having a strong personality. I think maybe people are more likely to believe the former rather than the latter, not willing to give the benefit of the doubt, likely because he is older.

I don't feign omniscience, but I wasn't born yesterday and I think I have a good bead on people in general.

I think I have to learn more about him and he has to learn more about me.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
And girl stop partying so much and save that money instead for a car.
I don't spend money on partying. I'm very frugal. However, I do find learning how to drive when I'm not in high school any longer a little intimidating.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
How concerned should I be about these issues?
Very, very concerned, in fact, you should be so concerned that you put an end to it.

He drinks, he's bossy, he's possessive, aggressive and doesn't respect you enough to let you talk for yourself.

There is a good reason why he's single with no kids.

Does he turn into an argumentative a-hole when he's drunk?

Odds are he will turn into a batterer.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Sweetheart, he's an abusive drunk. You may love him because he's such a paragon of physical perfection and all, but you need to stay away. He's no damn good for you. Period.

Why do the little things turn you off and the big things don't seem to be that much of a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships