Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
We could go back and forth over which gender is pickier. Men will say it's women. Women will say it's men. The main point, however, is be sure that you're lowering your standards for the right reasons. If you suddenly realize your standards are unrealistic, then of course you need to lower them. On the other hand, if you lower them because you're just not finding anyone, then that's a bad reason. You'll settle and then regret it later.
I'm a woman, and sadly I must say I think women are more picky. I think that we woman have fed each other a little too much BS about how we can have it all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
As the old song says...

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty women your wife
Go for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Don't let your friends tell you you have no taste
go ahead and marry anyway
Her face is ugly her eyes don't match
take it from me shes a better catch

I think it's fine to have a general idea of what you want but I also believe you have to be practical and flexible. No one who knew both of us (we used to work together) could believe it when my wife and I started dating and then married because we seemd to be such opposites and ill-suited for one another and it wasn't a looks issue. Even I wondered, as did she. But we've been married for over 13 years.

Never say "never" because you'll never know what you might have missed out on!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As the old song says...

I wonder how happy your wife will be to hear that...

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
err.. please speak for yourself... the BAD news is..i do deserve it.. and will receive it..and yes, the results speak for themselves..For one, i am not saying things like this ..lol
What exactly is it that you deserve and why do you deserve it?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
What exactly is it that you deserve and why do you deserve it?
I've always wondered about those "deserving" folks, too... I know about the women - L'Oreal told them they "deserve" it!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
LOL....this thread reminds me of a skit they used to do on the show In Living Color called "Lowered Expectations". It was hilarious!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
1. Both men and women have upped their standards. In fact, I would argue that women have upped theirs even more because they refuse to settle for the average or above average guy to instead chase after the top guys.

2. Men, often made to wait for a while to get women, put effort into building themselves up in various ways and thus decide to go for the top women (often younger) to justify the effort.

3. Both men and women are sold a bill of goods via the media of these fabulous sex lives with beautiful people and we think that we can live those lives. Even look at an action show like Highlander with its "girlfriend of the week" motiff where Duncan (admittedly a great looking, 6'2" guy who happens to be immortal) gets a ton of gorgeous women. For women, there is always sex in the city.

The reality is that very few people really get that life whether as a man scoring with many beautiful women easily or a woman who is loved and treasured (as opposed to sexually used) by a bevy of alpha males.

In the old days, sexuality was more tightly controlled and both gneders settled for what they got because they had little choice. Women especially had little choice because employment opportunities were scare, virginity prized, and birth control did not exist.
Great post.

Sex and The City and online dating (as useful as a tool it is) is the worst thing to happen to dating. So many girls/women think they deserve a top guy and are worthy of being that girl.

The problem is a "Top Guy" (whatever that means exactly) is in limited supply. The Top Guy will either a) not settle down and date/sleep with other women because he can b) Go after "Top girls" (Being "hot" isn't just enough these days), which are in rare supply as well.

Another problem is men, in general, can increase their "attractiveness" with age. Increase in income and sucess, a deeper knowledge and experiences to draw from, and men tend to age nicely. By that time, the women in the same age bracket tend to wait for Mr. Perfect, then those men they rejected tend to either go younger or go for a smart, pretty, successful women.

As someone else pointed out, I think men are becoming less concerned with getting married. With the divorce laws, the rise of women in the workplace, and the demands of women; why do it? Just because you're not married doesn't always mean you're alone or lonely.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
LOL....this thread reminds me of a skit they used to do on the show In Living Color called "Lowered Expectations". It was hilarious!
Those were funny. I think it was MADtv that did it.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Better to have too high of standards than too low of standards anyday!!

If your standards are too high, and you still meet someone, you are lucky. If your standards are too low and you become involved with someone, good luck to you, you will need it!!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As the old song says...

I think it's fine to have a general idea of what you want but I also believe you have to be practical and flexible. No one who knew both of us (we used to work together) could believe it when my wife and I started dating and then married because we seemd to be such opposites and ill-suited for one another and it wasn't a looks issue. Even I wondered, as did she. But we've been married for over 13 years.

Never say "never" because you'll never know what you might have missed out on!
You know, I always disliked that song. It always made me think that a man should marry an ugly girl because she would be so grateful she'd never cheat, leave or be wanted by anyone else. Marry an ugly girl so you'd never have to worry about her. I do realize it was meant to be funny and tongue in cheek but still... I dislike a LOT of songs from the 50s/60s era for various reasons. Mostly because they gave young girls unrealistic expectations of men.

As for lowering standards...that all depends on how realistic they are and rather than saying "lowering" perhaps they should say "changing". "Lowering" has such negative connotations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships