Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,094 times

Advertisements

So I've seen the arguments about women settling for "Mr. Good Enough" rather than holding out for Mr. Right. But my question is...what if you aren't even finding a "Mr. Good Enough"?

My Mr. Good Enough would be:

1. someone I can have a conversation with
2. someone who is attractive to me (he doesn't have to be cut, just attractive to ME)
3. someone who respects me
4. someone who is emotionally available.
5. someone who at least believes God exists

That's it. I'm not being terribly picky I don't think, and I can't find it! So...then what?

I'm approaching 30, no children, perpetually single, and lets just say (regardless of your opinion on my age or whether or not I should feel the way I do) I'm starting to freak out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Then either you're looking in the wrong place, or you need to change your standard !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
what if you aren't even finding a "Mr. Good Enough"?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Then either you're looking in the wrong place, or you need to change your standard !
How can I change my standard? Those are just the essential pieces of a healthy relationship! The only thing I can remove is the belief in God, which actually I've been willing to do.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM

fair enough, if the standard is fixed, and you'll accept 4/5, then your method is flawed.

You're only 30.
Ask your question to many of the older members, and see what their response is.
The most important relationship you can have is with yourself.
The rest, you can trust to fate.

Quote:
How can I change my standard? Those are just the essential pieces of a healthy relationship! The only thing I can remove is the belief in God, which actually I've been willing to do.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
fair enough, if the standard is fixed, and you'll accept 4/5, then your method is flawed.

You're only 30.
Ask your question to many of the older members, and see what their response is.
The most important relationship you can have is with yourself.
The rest, you can trust to fate.
Yes I'll give you that...if I accept 4/5 my method is flawed. Really if I'm honest I have two more dealbreakers: no smoking, and no alcoholics. But again, these are just basic things for a healthy relationship (I don't want to deal with addiction).

I am happy with myself, I just miss having a partner in life and I've been single for a long while. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But yea...I guess fate is what you really have to rely on huh?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,017 times
You could drop the "attractive" requirement, and see if an attraction develops with someone you would normally write-off based solely on looks. As I just mentioned in my own thread, I've met one girl in particular who...well...let's just say she doesn't look anything like the girls I normally date. And you know all those girls I mentioned in your other thread? This girl is the least physically attractive of all of them, and yet she's the one who's currently at the top of my list for "people I want to get to know better".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting you go for some disgusting slob that turns your stomach. Just consider being open to the possibility that someone who at first glance would make you say: "Nah.." might be worth a second look.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM

I've been where you are, but trust me, It's better to be lonely on your own, than lonely in a bad relationship.

If you can be truly happy with yourself, then you'll never be lonely.
A relationship with another person will only ever compliment this one, it can never replace it.

Quote:
Yes I'll give you that...if I accept 4/5 my method is flawed. Really if I'm honest I have two more dealbreakers: no smoking, and no alcoholics. But again, these are just basic things for a healthy relationship (I don't want to deal with addiction).

I am happy with myself, I just miss having a partner in life and I've been single for a long while. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But yea...I guess fate is what you really have to rely on huh?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
You could make yourself more attractive, which would put you in a better spot to receive more interest. I don't just mean physically, but as a person as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
You could drop the "attractive" requirement, and see if an attraction develops with someone you would normally write-off based solely on looks. As I just mentioned in my own thread, I've met one girl in particular who...well...let's just say she doesn't look anything like the girls I normally date. And you know all those girls I mentioned in your other thread? This girl is the least physically attractive of all of them, and yet she's the one who's currently at the top of my list for "people I want to get to know better".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting you go for some disgusting slob that turns your stomach. Just consider being open to the possibility that someone who at first glance would make you say: "Nah.." might be worth a second look.
Yeah I guess I should clarify...I don't expect instant attraction. Although I do expect that within the first few dates I should feel something, or it's not going to be there. Attraction has a lot to do with personality, so I don't write people off quickly unless they just turn my stomach. A lot of the men I meet are overweight, don't take care of themselves, etc. I don't need a man who is cut, but I do want one who takes care of his health. I do. And obesity is not attractive to me.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Perhaps the reason you can't find a man like that is because YOU are not that good of a catch yourself? Perhaps you think you are better than you actually are? No offence, but many people seriously over-rate their character and personalities.

Good men are many places, but if they don't want you then you gotta look at yourself in the mirror and examine your own character and personality. Perhaps you are not really all that. A good man won't come landing on your lap. You have to be a quality good woman yourself to land someone equally good man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships