Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 PM

694 posts, read 1,234,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I've never had anything romantic happen to me.
Romance sometimes finds the dogwalker, it might just happen one of these days, who knows?
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You know, this thread reminded me that women need to put some effort into being romantic as well. They shouldn't just expect a man to do all the work.
I don't like seeing responses from men on this thread: "i've done it to someone but nobody did it for me". Women need to step up the game.
Right you are, max's mama!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,649,588 times
You know, last year, I had a great Valentines' day!

I just did a simple thing for some friends of mine and they surprised me with a balloon, chocolate, card, and a stuffed animal! Well, it was after they found out that I did something for them...but I was pleasantly shocked nonetheless

I think people don't generally receive things from friends on Valentines' Day..

Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM

I had a bf who used to place little cute notes in shoes, drawers, bathroom, wallet, etc. It was always nice to find them while at work or out at lunch with coworkers, they made me smile and think of him, of course.

Once I inadvertently found a notebook of his, (not a diary, I did not break the "do not read one's diary" covenant), with pages and pages of thoughts and feelings that he had for me or while being close to me.
It was deeply moving as I realized that the pages were not intended for me to read.

Last edited by learningCA; 02-09-2010 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
You know, last year, I had a great Valentines' day!

I just did a simple thing for some friends of mine and they surprised me with a balloon, chocolate, card, and a stuffed animal! Well, it was after they found out that I did something for them...but I was pleasantly shocked nonetheless

I think people don't generally receive things from friends on Valentines' Day..
Friendship is a form of love that sometimes outlasts the romantic one, Le Lune.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,363 times
Dating:

Our courtship was hardly one...we had been friends for almost two years and he had seen me in a failed marriage. He also had picked me up from the hospital after loosing my first and last child I would ever carry....my husband couldn't make it to the hospital during the turning point in my young life...but he was there to see me at my worst.

Engagement:

After my divorce to the SOB, he and I managed to get together almost by accident. He was in town one Valentines day to visit a new girlfriend he met online...and needed a place to crash after his 6 hour drive.....let's just say he liked staying the night and stayed another two years.... Our engangement consisted of: "Why buy the cow when you can milk it for free" (I said) he eventually rolled over in bed and asked, "you wanna get married"....that was my proposal.

Wedding:

Since no one showed up except his mother to our wedding (from his side of the family or friends), in a state of panic, we put everyone who did show up in a circle under a yellow oak tree. The leaves were falling in late October and we walked each other down the outside aisle......I began to sweat under my gown when I saw him search the crowd before us for any signs of family and friends he had invited...my heart simply sunk that his first and probably last wedding will be our friends...my family...and only his mother in attendance.

Most romantic thing I have experienced:

While we're walking to the preacher under the arch, he turns to me and says with tears in his eyes, "If I forget to tell you because I am so nervous...I love you and I always will. You are my family now."

Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Dating:

Our courtship was hardly one...we had been friends for almost two years and he had seen me in a failed marriage. He also had picked me up from the hospital after loosing my first and last child I would ever carry....my husband couldn't make it to the hospital during the turning point in my young life...but he was there to see me at my worst.

Engagement:

After my divorce to the SOB, he and I managed to get together almost by accident. He was in town one Valentines day to visit a new girlfriend he met online...and needed a place to crash after his 6 hour drive.....let's just say he liked staying the night and stayed another two years.... Our engangement consisted of: "Why buy the cow when you can milk it for free" (I said) he eventually rolled over in bed and asked, "you wanna get married"....that was my proposal.

Wedding:

Since no one showed up except his mother to our wedding (from his side of the family or friends), in a state of panic, we put everyone who did show up in a circle under a yellow oak tree. The leaves were falling in late October and we walked each other down the outside aisle......I began to sweat under my gown when I saw him search the crowd before us for any signs of family and friends he had invited...my heart simply sunk that his first and probably last wedding will be our friends...my family...and only his mother in attendance.

Most romantic thing I have experienced:

While we're walking to the preacher under the arch, he turns to me and says with tears in his eyes, "If I forget to tell you because I am so nervous...I love you and I always will. You are my family now."
You story is moving, Katlakat.
Indeed, love doesn't always come in a fairy tale wrapping but is nevertheless true, honest, and caring. I am happy for the two of you, it seems that you found your home in each other.

Last edited by learningCA; 02-09-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
You story is moving, Katlakat.
Indeed, love doesn't always come in a fairy tale wrapping but is nevertheless true, honest, and caring.
I am happy for the two of you, it seems that you found your home in each other.
Thank you
We have been at "home" with each other about 10 years now, 7 of them married.

I used to carry that anger that his family never sent a card or called him to wish him well. He was a good guy, shy, never had been married, only had one girlfriend in high school and it had been 5 years since he had dating anyone even casually when I met him.

I was angry for years.....then in December 09, just two months ago, he returned from his grandmother's funeral with a bundle.

He handed them to me with tears in his eyes. I remembered those tears.....and I opened the plastic bag. There was the pile from 7 years ago of wedding cards and anniversary cards signed by grandma and the family....

Grandma had put them somewhere to mail to us and forgot them.

While he went through grandma's metal cabinet, he came across them and starting sobbing. His mom said he couldn't wait to come home (her funeral was in Michigan, we live in NH) to give me those cards. I felt so horrible, but at the time, how were we to know they actually cared?

Actions speak louder than words, but 7 years of anger is totally not worth it.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Thank you
We have been at "home" with each other about 10 years now, 7 of them married.

I used to carry that anger that his family never sent a card or called him to wish him well. He was a good guy, shy, never had been married, only had one girlfriend in high school and it had been 5 years since he had dating anyone even casually when I met him.

I was angry for years.....then in December 09, just two months ago, he returned from his grandmother's funeral with a bundle.

He handed them to me with tears in his eyes. I remembered those tears.....and I opened the plastic bag. There was the pile from 7 years ago of wedding cards and anniversary cards signed by grandma and the family....

Grandma had put them somewhere to mail to us and forgot them.

While he went through grandma's metal cabinet, he came across them and starting sobbing. His mom said he couldn't wait to come home (her funeral was in Michigan, we live in NH) to give me those cards. I felt so horrible, but at the time, how were we to know they actually cared?

Actions speak louder than words, but 7 years of anger is totally not worth it.
Most of us go through a moment when we realize that we got it completely wrong. Yours just took a while! I am glad that your husband feels better about his family now.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,437,942 times
I came very close to getting with three girls at the same time, but didn't follow through with it. Have done two but probably wouldn't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships