Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
The accent isn't a problem. Accents are hot. Unless you can't understand what the person is saying. That gets old after a while.
Like .. humbugger .. haambaarger.. hamburglar ...hamburger finalee .. je t'aime pink panther le film .. steve martin was hilarious in the first film lolz ...im not french but i simply love that french accent .. love the tasty fille-o-fish ..erm excuse me thats fillet-o-fish (McD's) hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
Like .. humbugger .. haambaarger.. hamburglar ...hamburger finalee .. je t'aime pink panther le film .. steve martin was hilarious in the first film lolz ...im not french but i simply love that french accent .. love the tasty fille-o-fish ..erm excuse me thats fillet-o-fish (McD's) hehe
Okkk. . . are you following me from thread to thread?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,503 times
Accents do make or break it. If two girls are identical in every way, and one has a Scottish accent and the other a Canadian accent, then I'd definitely chose the former with Scottish accent. For some reason I have never been fan of foreign accent. Besides, its much much sexier listening to a Scot/Geordie/Cockney/Irish rant about anything than a Canadian or American. No offence like.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,581 times
Depends on the accent.
I don't mind most so long as we can understand each other.

Slavic can be sexy.
I personally prefer Scottish, Irish and London English.
American southern (Texas and Georgia) as well.

Never really been into French or Italian accents though.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 AM

233 posts, read 744,070 times
An accent WILL hold you back with some girls. Its all about the first impression. An accent can translate into meaning that you are uneducated, not "American", immigrant etc. This is the truth. Girls are fickle just as much as guys are. The accent can be overcome in a lot of cases with your approach but some girls will hear your accent and they will blow you off for the above mentioned. Having perfect english can open doors for you, though you STILL can succeed with not so great english. I have seen it both in the dating world and in the business world.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I agree with most. I don't think that the accent would be an issue. I've dated foreign guys before, accent and all and that was the furthest thing from the problem. It was usually their attitudes that needed adjusted or something else.
An accent has never been a deterrent for me or anyone I know. The ONLY thing I can think of is that you are in a very southern area and maybe the locals don't like anyone that doesn't sound like them but even so, that would be an issue for the men and probably not as much for the women.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
Accents are sexy.

Providing you can understand them !!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
Are you familiar with some American culture? If you don't watch some TV programs, read the local newspaper, know of a good restaurant in the area that you live in, talk briefly about sports or current events in America, you could be mistaken for a tourist just visiting.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Having a foreign accent is usually a plus in the dating world.. So I'd say that you have some other problem(s) that are causing your lack of dates.

How long have you lived in the US? How would you rate yourself on looks? And the way you dress? Maybe you wear too much cologne. Or maybe you need to adjust some of your hygiene habits. I used to work at a restaurant that had a lot of recent Albanian immigrants. Every new worker that arrived started off by not showering enough or wearing anti-deodorant. One busboy was nicknamed "Stinky" for a while. Eventually they all got a clue about what was acceptable hygiene in the US.

And maybe you are so self conscious about your accent, that it makes you come across as shy and awkward.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times
It might also depend from where you are. I personally never lived in KC, but I am sure that people living in NYC, South Florida, DC etc... are much more used to deal with people with an accent.
For as much as I don't like to generalize, I do believe (also for personal experience) that it can make a difference in your social relationships having a foreign accent in the middle of Texas or Alabama or having the same accent in West Palm Beach or New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships