Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM

437 posts, read 675,076 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's pitiful but rather a sign of how pathetic the whole dating scene in the Western world is where people are left to their own devices and basest instincts in finding a mate rather than a more controlled courting process.

As a result, you have good but boring men ignored by women who are in their prime who instead seek out bad but exciting men. Then the tables turn and the good men reach their status and ignore women of their age group to instead seek out the younger and hotter women that they always wanted and that their female contemporaries no longer are.

Result: lots of lonely and bitter people, "love" is a commodity to be taken, and tons of out of wedlock births and single mothers to boot.

I guess it's not all bad: I'm scoring more tail than ever and I didn't have to get married to do it. Unfortunately, it also means fewer families, fewer children raised by men, etc... to the detriment of their society.

You reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I went out yesterday to a local restaurant/sports bar (the equivalent of a Fridays) alone. I'll usually run into people I know, but I just wanted to unwind, have a bite and a couple of drinks.

A guy I know came over to my table and asked me why I was alone. I told him I go out alone pretty often. He said he came over because he didn't want me to be alone.

Then he asked me about Valentine's Day. I told him my guy won't be in town that weekend. He said I shouldn't be alone. I told him I was fine with it. He looked at me like he felt sorry for me....lol.

Would this be your reaction? What are your thoughts on V-Day in general? Personally, I enjoy celebrating it (though I would prefer to do it a day or two before hand, I hate the crowds). I'm just fine if I don't have anyone as well.
It's just another day to me. V-Day, and all the rest of the holidays are nothing more than commercial gimmicks for businesses to sell useless crap in order to separate you from your money.

On V-Day, I'll likely be studying/doing homework, while my husband is out golfing with his buddies.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
I went out yesterday to a local restaurant/sports bar (the equivalent of a Fridays) alone. I'll usually run into people I know, but I just wanted to unwind, have a bite and a couple of drinks.

A guy I know came over to my table and asked me why I was alone. I told him I go out alone pretty often. He said he came over because he didn't want me to be alone.

Then he asked me about Valentine's Day. I told him my guy won't be in town that weekend. He said I shouldn't be alone. I told him I was fine with it. He looked at me like he felt sorry for me....lol.

Would this be your reaction? What are your thoughts on V-Day in general? Personally, I enjoy celebrating it (though I would prefer to do it a day or two before hand, I hate the crowds). I'm just fine if I don't have anyone as well.
Was the guy really being sympathetic or trying to pick you up?? Guess not if he's someone you know. I've gone out alone for years. If I waited for someone to go with me I'd never go anywhere. I've done many road trips alone too and I love it.

I've always thought Valentine's Day is an overrated thing that was designed specifically for the cards, candy and flower companies. When I moved to MI I found that there are TWO of these days...Sweetest Day in Oct.. I had never heard of that before. Even when I was dating/married I didn't much care about it. It was always more important to me to show loving feelings/actions in my every day life and not one or two days a year. I have seen women go totally ballistic because their SO didn't get them what they wanted for Valentine's Day and it disgusted me so that it made me think even LESS of the day. And less of those women too.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Some people are just hopeless romantics and very sappy. I think this guy was just one of those people but also, for some reason, people even today have a real issue seeing someone alone. I have no clue why LOL
My daughter went to an early dinner out at a local restaurant recently and the servers kind of gave her a hard time because she was alone. They kept asking her if she was expecting someone and kept looking at her like she was an alien LOL She said it's like they couldn't believe a woman would go somewhere alone.
Don't worry about it. If you are comfortable being alone and circumstances made it so that your man can't be home for Vday, so what? Right? You just go enjoy yourself anyway!!
Every once in a while I hear something about a woman being treated badly in a restaurant because she's alone but sometimes I wonder if that isn't just their perception. Maybe they feel ill at ease or uncomfortable and they 'think' others think they are weird or something. In all my years working in restaurants I have never seen a woman alone treated badly just because she's alone. And I never have been either even though I've gone out alone a gazillion times over the last ten years.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Maybe he was trying to pick you up and feeling around to see if you have someone.
Nah, he's a friend and knows I'm taken. He's just one of those people who thinks you should be with someone on V-Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
No, that wouldn't be my reaction. As long as you're fine with it, who cares? Now, if you were sobbing into your mozzarella sticks, I can see taking pity.
Sobbing in your mozzarella sticks.....LOL!

Quote:
Actually, for Valentine's I think I'm doing something with some girlfriends. One's married, two have long-term boyfriends, and I'm also dating someone, so none of us are spending it with a significant other. It's actually a running trend, no boys on V-Day.
I have had a couple gatherings for my single friends on V-Day. Some of them actually hook up, but it's mainly a great way to enjoy the evening without the pressures of HAVING to find someone to be with. It was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I didn't really think that much about Valentine's Day during the 22 years I was single. I am a romantic type guy, but I'm not stupid either......Valentine's Day is about "love" and depending on where my relationship was with a lady, no card saying the word "love", no flowers, but perhaps a nice dinner out. Now, after I met my wife, the romantic part of me REALLY came out on Valentine's Day!! Nice-Beautiful-Loving card (on the computer and bought), roses and dinner out each year for the last 9 years. She deserves it because I love her THAT much!! By the way, we are in our early 60's now, but the romance on that day hasn't stopped!
How sweet. I hope you have many more happy years together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
It can be sad if you want someone in your life there - more noticeably sad because TV and marketing and the media makes a big deal over Valentine's Day and how people should be together, according to them.

I don't know if you want to do this, but have you checked meetup.com for any "single people on Valentine's Day" events in your town? It might be something to do and "revolt" against the commercialization and "should be doings" of the day.
Yeah, the media does have a huge effect on the way people think.

I haven't checked on anything to do with Valentine's Day really. I'm happy being at home becoming one with the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
I don't think it's pitiful but rather a sign of how pathetic the whole dating scene in the Western world is where people are left to their own devices and basest instincts in finding a mate rather than a more controlled courting process.
I somewhat agree there.

Quote:
As a result, you have good but boring men ignored by women who are in their prime who instead seek out bad but exciting men. Then the tables turn and the good men reach their status and ignore women of their age group to instead seek out the younger and hotter women that they always wanted and that their female contemporaries no longer are.

Result: lots of lonely and bitter people, "love" is a commodity to be taken, and tons of out of wedlock births and single mothers to boot.
While there is some truth to this, it is more bitter drivel than anything else. More food for sheeple to buy into the "movement".

Quote:
I guess it's not all bad: I'm scoring more tail than ever and I didn't have to get married to do it. Unfortunately, it also means fewer families, fewer children raised by men, etc... to the detriment of their society.

Quote:
You reap what you sow.
You certainly do.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:

If something like that had happened to me, I would politely tell him I'd like to be alone. Guys have been using the "you shouldn't be alone" excuse for ages to get their foot in the door. If I were a woman, I would be annoyed by a guy presuming that I would be better off with his company than being myself.

The holidays are difficult for some people. They feel like there's something wrong with them because they're alone and everyone else has one. In the past, I hated seeing those reminders that I didn't have someone in my life. But I would rather be alone than spend my holiday with someone I didn't really feel anything for.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I agree. It's worse being in a bad relationship and 'faking' it on Vday, than being single and happy. I plan on going to a spa on Vday - I want to show myself how much I love me LOL
Absolutely! My last couple of Vday's have been as a married woman but we have not celebrated it. It actually made me very uncomfortable. We don't even bother trying to "fake it" anymore.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Valentine's Day is a "Hallmark Holiday", way overrated.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I'm single again this year after having someone for 4 years. Before that, it was almost 9 years of not being with someone for Vday. I'm used to it unforunately..

Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I wait until the 15th when it's all on sale (same with the day after Easter, day after Halloween, day after...). For the same price I can get better chocolate and more of it
After Christmas too, especially at "dollar stores". Lot of stuff that goes on deep discount.

I've already seen Easter candy for sale. The chocolate eggs, not the rabbits yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships