Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:45 PM

328 posts, read 573,613 times

Advertisements

So, I met this guy at a bar when I was supposed to be meeting someone I met online for the first time (long story). Anywho, he had been watching me the whole time and when he realized the guy wasn't going to show, he struck up a conversation with me, and his female friend who was there as well. He asked lots of questions and was genuinely interested in what I do, where I came from, what I like to do, etc. The convo was great and I was really happy that my bad night turned around. At the end of the night, he even asked if I was still gonna call the guy and give him another chance (my answer was a firm NO). I exchanged info with them both, saying we could hang out again sometime.

I texted him the next day saying I had a nice time and maybe I could hang out and come along if he was going out sometime (I'm new to the area). He said no problem, he enjoyed the convo.

As I decided I was done w/ online dating after that fiasco, I logged in to remove my profile and who do I see... the new guy from the bar! What a coincidence, I know. But this leads me to my confusion... if hes online supposedly looking for dates, and I am clearly available, why didn't he take the opportunity to ask me out, if he was interested?... Well, I guess I will have to wait and see how he responds before I can tell if he was just being friendly or if he's interested.

I've come to the conclusion that not all the people online are really looking for a date/friend/etc. That some people just feel like its like having a facebook page, lol. Men and women alike have said that people sometimes don't respond to winks, or emails. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I think he set you up... the no show was probably him... its a tactic that he probably used... the guy sounds shady... I don't think its going to end well for you...

Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM

328 posts, read 573,613 times
Um, no.. definitely two different guys... but thanks for your input...

Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think he set you up... the no show was probably him... its a tactic that he probably used... the guy sounds shady... I don't think its going to end well for you...
Becoz you're a psychic read

Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Becoz you're a psychic read
Its probably the lack of meds I take... you know...

Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,179 times
I think a lot of guys (and maybe girls too) online intentionally put that they're only looking for friends when in reality deep inside they are searching for something romantically-whether it be a friends with benefits, a relationship, a casual fling, whatever, but if they weren't interested in finding that perfect match, they wouldn't be on a dating website. Who looks for friends online anyway?
And maybe he will ask you out soon, who knows?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,438 times
Don't think too much about it now. Just see where it goes, what do you have to lose? He probably just has one like a Facebook page. If he gives you any reason to be wary, then be wary. Just follow your heart.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM

420 posts, read 878,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
So, I met this guy at a bar when I was supposed to be meeting someone I met online for the first time (long story). Anywho, he had been watching me the whole time and when he realized the guy wasn't going to show, he struck up a conversation with me, and his female friend who was there as well. He asked lots of questions and was genuinely interested in what I do, where I came from, what I like to do, etc. The convo was great and I was really happy that my bad night turned around. At the end of the night, he even asked if I was still gonna call the guy and give him another chance (my answer was a firm NO). I exchanged info with them both, saying we could hang out again sometime.

I texted him the next day saying I had a nice time and maybe I could hang out and come along if he was going out sometime (I'm new to the area). He said no problem, he enjoyed the convo.

As I decided I was done w/ online dating after that fiasco, I logged in to remove my profile and who do I see... the new guy from the bar! What a coincidence, I know. But this leads me to my confusion... if hes online supposedly looking for dates, and I am clearly available, why didn't he take the opportunity to ask me out, if he was interested?... Well, I guess... Men and women alike have said that people sometimes don't respond to winks, or emails. Any thoughts?
Maybe he was still shopping and hadnt gotten around or wanted to cancel his dating profile, in order that he might keep his options open, even if he was already seeing someone he hadnt made his mind up about yet? I dont see anything wrong with making new friends if youre not comitted to anything yet. You never know, as time gooes by, and you go in and out of prospective friend/relationships, who you just might come back around to. And what stories you might share that will make you think, 'gee... I wish we'd gotten friendly earlier...??'

Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
When I was younger I did a whole lot of internet dating. A lot of times I just wanted to meet someone to have fun with....not them making it into a love match just because we ended up going out. Sometimes people are too quick to try to make something serious out of online flirting.

I believe you can certainly meet the right person online, but just like offline, it takes time.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:32 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,872 times
Default Interested or just being friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you suspicious by nature or do you have to work at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships