Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,188 times

Advertisements

All you really have to do is make eye contact and smile. For most guys that's enough of an invitation right there. If you're really into him and feeling a little bold then give him a slightly mischievous look...like you're thinking about something very naughty you want to do to him That is like catnip to a guy LOL

By way of contrast, a couple of months ago there was this girl who kept looking at me...staring at me...all the time. It didn't take long to figure out she was interested, but she never smiled! Before long I was uncomfortable with it and just totally ignored her. She tried one more time after that to approach me, but again with this scary desperate intensity that made my blood run cold. I made sure to make eye contact with her and then very deliberately break it and look and move AWAY. And that was the end of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Well, the guy in your example was pretty lame. I ask people how they are doing all the time and don't expect anything more than the cursory "good thanks."

Now I guess I'll answer your question...except I'll be honest...guys are going to miss more obvious flirting clues than Inspector Clousseau.

1) Use open ended questions to keep the conversation moving.
2) Let it be known that you are single. Let it be known that you are single. Let it be known that you are single. Oops I keep repeating myself.
3) Don't cross things. It's negative body language. For more tips on positive body language, ask the girls. I don't particularly like to be touched, so that's not going to work on everyone. The hair thing, well some guys could just think you like your hair.
4) Stroke his ego indirectly. Describe things you admire, that you directly know he has.
5) Talk about your cats and exes. Whoops. Don't, ever. At least not until you are on a first date, if you hate him.
6) I believe that the guy should be doing 90% of the talking right here, so be actively interested. Mmmm Hmms and wows and all sorts of overly dramatic active listening.
7) OK this last one must be said cuz it is out of control. Watch the sexual innuendo stuff. A little bit here and there is ok...but if everything I say you keep trying to make some innuendo about your boobs or me wanting to do you...then I'm either going to think you are desperate or easy. If that's what you want keep saying, "that's what SHE said" like a trendy goof ball.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
He's a man ! forget the clothes, just the lingerie !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Wear some sexy lingerie under your clothes,

Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 AM

740 posts, read 1,232,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishka View Post
I think I could use some tips on flirting. I have a tendency to look pretty serious, which is okay in certain situations, but I'm guessing can be scary for a guy, lol. In the right place, at the right time, I want to let a guy know that I'm interested. OR, respond to his approach in a way that keeps the conversation going, not has him keep walking because I didn't *seem* receptive.

I actually had that happen to me when I just got to my current job. This guy that worked in the building (not in my department) walked/rolled right up to my desk with a pleasant smile on his face and said, 'How are you?". He caught me off guard so I didn't smile and I *think* I said 'Im fine, thanks...', with that look that says, '...um, and what do you want?'. I can just imagine what my face looked like, lol.....
Hey quit copying me! I'm terrible if someone comes up to me and my mind is elsewhere. Not on purpose mind you, but because it takes a few minutes for me to get the brain to switch gears and focus on my immediate surroundings.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,272 times
i dont know but if a girl does what u did to that guy ..i wouldnt walk away ..i'd do that peacocking thing ..move my head like a bird lolz ..waving my hands around swaying and humming .. showing off my tight worked up butts .. lolz .. moving the brows .. slowly coming closer and clooooooser ... u feelin' hot ..huh baby .. lolz

err ahem .. thats not a dating tip for women though ehe ..gee

Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
I'm often laughing while flirting with women, not laughing at them of course just the situation.....good fun.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM

109 posts, read 202,646 times
Great tips from everyone, thanks! I'll digest it all and post later.

And oh yeah, what about flirting for online dating? That might be a little trickier without visual cues...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Wow...

I'm going to try to not sound like joy germ joan here but...

You must have a very defensive way about yourself. Guys are quite a bit harder to scare off. Most young women flirt on a dime, and the problem is figuring out true interest, over just plain ol flirt. In your case you must be putting up the wall first to get this reaction. I am a hospitality director, it's my job to be nice to people so I know. I hold an open stance, act interested in their needs, even when I'm not, show some teeth with my smile and get a 99 percent positive responce, even from people who walked in with a scowl on their face, if even just for an instant, they at least smile back. But there is that 1 percent, and they scare me! Humans actually have a hard time not responding in kind! If you maintain a frown while being smiled at, you're in a very low percentage and have a MAJOR PROBLEM. I wasn't always this good, I practice those good natured looks, sometimes I'm mad or upset, I'm human, but my job is to be warm and friendly. So I just fight through and pretend to be happy anyway, and guess what? I never feel terrible after an hour of even starting out FAKING being happy. You can't! You release certain chemicals that make you ...happier. My suggestion to you is to fight through whatever insecurity you're wearing on your face and try to just smile! Imeadiatly, when people appear in front of you...smile, even if your tooth aches! And with practice you'll note very quickly people start reacting better towards you!
Boy, are you right!! As a waitress for many years I found all you said to be very true. Waitresses are not "allowed" to have bad days. There were days when the LAST thing I wanted to do was deal with people or worry about what THEIR mood was but if I set my mind to it I could "fake it till you make it". After a while it wasn't faking anymore. I used to have fun making someone in a bad mood smile. It isn't hard to change their attitude, usually. The day I knew I had to quit waitressing was the day a customer in a bad mood came in and I didn't care. I thought, whatever their problem was, they could just get out of it themselves! Hmmmph. LOL

As for flirting...that's something I never had a problem with.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I always thought flashing the girls a la "Girls Gone Wild" was a sure-fire way to get a guys attention.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
I notice a lot of women have the ice queen appearance by way of her body language and some other things. Now this is fine of course normally but if you're single and wanting to find a decent guy the ice queen persona is not going to get you very far. I liked JSizzle's list I think it had some good pointers. It's not rocket science most of it is just common sense. There are a lot of basic little things you can do just smile and give a guy some of your attention, act like you're truly interested in talking to him. Maybe a tiny bit of physical contact like touch his arm for a second while you're laughing. Do the whole play with your hair thing I love it when a woman does that and I definitely notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships