Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
how did you overcome your past and move on to live a "normal" life?
Any day now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM

324 posts, read 572,457 times
I'm hoping to become a social worker. The only concern I have with it is to try to constrain myself when I encounter "parents" abusing their children. Words can't describe how much that feels me up with rage.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
Age 63 and still working on it. Somehow, I cannot say that is a bad thing! I am glad I am working on it rather than wallowing in it.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
Whatever.

Last edited by BioMechanical; 08-11-2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 AM

and.....

Old 08-11-2012, 02:07 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I'm going to go against the grain on this one.

I will hold my abusive childhood up to anyone except those that were sexually abused, I think thats a whole other ballgame.

My dad would put marks on me, my mom had to rub stuff on my back many times because of the abuse. I too lied about the bruises and welps when people asked.

I absolutely hate it when people blame their screwed up lives on abusive childhoods. How many times has that become an excuse when they are in court for whatever reason? So you had a bad childhood, don't be a victim anymore!!! Just because you were abused it doesnt mean you are less of a person, nor should you have anything to be ashamed or depressed about.

For me, my driving force has been to be better than that, to show myself that I can be a better man than my father ever was. he didn't teach me anything on how to be a father, he taught me how not to be though.

Looking back I would not change a thing about my childhood even as bad as it as because it made me who I am today. I have a great career, have travelled to many countries and I think I am a pretty decent guy now.
As "easy" as this posters' path has been, for others the life after abuse is not so "easy".
SVT picked a path that is extremely difficult for many people.
I bolded something very key here. SVTLightning learned from his father on what he didn't want to be.
In a dysfunctional family, this thought process is extremely difficult to pick up. I give credit to SVTLightning here.

I think there are a couple things that are necessary for the OP to move on and help you get to where you want to be emotionally and mentally.
First, you have to understand that what happened to you as a child was not your fault.
Only untill you believe that to your core, will you be able to begin to move past the abuse.
Secondly, if your family overlooks the abuse, and your mom pretends it never happened, she acts like she has the perfect family, then sadly, you most likely need to remove yourself from that relationship. Staying in a fake, false relationship of lies and malipulation will hold you back from truely recovering. If that means you need to move away and/or stop talking to certain family for extended (read: years) periods of time, then so be it. What is most important at this point in your life is to take control of your own life and start living for you, not for your mom, your family, your bf, or anyone else, only for you.
Counseling is a great idea, but not everyone takes to counseling the same way. Plus, most health insurance companies only cover the first 10 visits, then you have to pay out of pocket, at it gets expensive.
Just remember, you are not alone, you are not the only one who has been through abuse. You can and will survive, and over time, you can do better than survive, you can live.
But you must be proactive in taking the steps required to move forward and heal.

Last edited by AverageGuy2006; 08-11-2012 at 02:18 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
EMDR therapy helped me a lot and then I had another catastrophic life even happen and got PTSD all over again. I'm going to re-do the EMDR in the Fall and hope it helps again. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I've had therapy pretty continuously for the past 20 years and am on numerous medications. Still not "cured". We are "broken" people and may never recover.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
You're NEVER going to forget it. You just have to make a decision: am I going to let this control my life and continue being a victime or am I going to accept that it happened and live the life I deserve? It will take a lot of hard work, and every single time you feel yourself falling back into old patterns, talk your way out of it. In the beginning, I literally left post it note reminders in random places that I wasn't going to be controlled by my past. Eventually I was able to get rid of the post its.
Yes, I agree with this approach. Self-talk helps me a lot. Often trying to talk to others, even professionals, results in feeling even more alone with the pain of my past than before.

Good job, Tish. You are my kinda person.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Whatever.
Oh -- you changed your post after I answered. Okay. Some of us have to work on the "stuff" occasionally throughout our lives. I keep hoping that "this time" will be the last, but it crops again somewhere down the road.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
I'm pretty sure that I'm a survivor of abuse. I have my own way of dealing with it. (Not destructive by the way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships