Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,077,240 times

Advertisements

She ends up with a Brazillian Gem Trader! People wouldn't believe alien, so that was the next best thing! I speed read it after stealing it from pirate bay. OMG it's all angst the whole book! She got all this from Gramma almost not getting married, then when she did, her being miserable. This goes on and on with her quoting mystical sources on mountain tops in exotic locals and such and all of a sudden she's cool with marriage right at the end! Her Gem trading, basically Zorro, boyfriend has to get married or face extradition...THIS IS LIKE , EVEN WORSE THAN THE LOOPIEST EPISODE OF DESPERATE HOUSEWIFES! She's not an authority,as much as she's a heroine in a dime novel.

Prediction: Within about 3 years she's divorced and writing her latest diatribe about "Felipe"

Last edited by optiflex; 02-15-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
" It's surprising, though it shouldn't be. Looking at study after study, it becomes quite chilling to see how very much benefited men are by marriage. Married men perform in life exceptionally better than single men, they live longer, they're richer, they're happier."

That's not an objective opinion. That's a very broad, all encompassing generaliztion.

There's well 6 billion people on this planet. At least 1 to 2 billion are married (probably a very low, generous number). Billions upon billions have been married through out the last two centuries.

One woman making her rounds of a few countries, a few cultures and a few communities; is hardly the basis for her conclusions.

What it is, is a warm, fuzzy feel good story for her. Which she tries to apply to both genders. Both genders for all of time.

Sorry, but it's nonsense.

Every individual person....every individual marriage is is based on the personality and relationship dynamics of each individual marriage.

Some women, as she stated do make the lives of their husbands better.

Some men, make the lives of their wives better.

Some women make the lives of thier husbands a miserable mess. As do some men, to their wives lives.

A married woman is no more likely to make the male gender's lives richer, with exceptional performance in life and extend their life expectancy; than a anything else in life.

Some men will argue that some women will actually shorten their life expectancy. As well as intrude, distract and disrupt their focus on achieving excepetional life performance. As will some women argue, that some men do, to women.

There simply is no such thing as an all encompassing, generalizational concept that can be applied to either gender.

If you had read the thread posts you would see where it was posted "That while this encompasses a great cross section of the populice we, of course, cannot say it applies to everyone."

Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,149,083 times
Of course it doesn't apply to anyone.

In fact, it applies to very few. Certainly not even remotely close to enough for her to come to such a silly and self-appeasing conclusion.

Oh well, she's trying to sell a book. So...........

Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Ohh for god's sake! Want me to explain how he arrived at these false conclusions?

A. married men live longer than nonmarried: He's factoring in everybody who died before they got married! Kids don't marry! Teens who die before marriage! Young adults who die in Combat or accidents or complications.

B. He's pushing a religious book!

C. They're richer! true! He's factoring in every priest, and person who doesn't bother to amass large wealth because they are ...F R E E to not do so!
I think many non-American men wait until they have some money before they get married. I also suspect women try to marry a man with at least some money. Therefore married men are richer. Only a complete idiot would extrapolate from that fact the following: "in order to become a richer man, one should marry."

If I had paid enough attention in logic class, I would be able to prove why that's some sort of logical fallacy... I mean, if you are the average world-wide guy, you NEED more money to pay for your wife and kids. It makes sense that a married man would be "richer" than a single one.

I just want to hijack the thread for a moment to mention all of the terrible high-profile husbands in the news lately: Silvio Berlusconi, Mark Sanford(sp?), Tiger Woods, Hesham Talaat Moustafa and my recent favorite, the South African president who has 3 wives already still had time to father an illegitimate child. Actually...maybe those examples support the study!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,689,470 times
Completely disagree with the author, but I did hear one male vs female marriage aspect before. Housework...Average males housework goes down in the marriage and the average female housework goes up. However, the skewed part is the expectations of "clean". A guy might think vacuuming a house every other week is fine, while the girl thinks it should be done every other day.

From day one, females are "brainwashed" into thinking their wedding day (not to be confused with marriage) is the peak of their life. It's a life goal and sense of achievement. I don't buy that they get married for "romance" as most people are together long enough before marriage to realize the level of their relationship's romance.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,652,769 times
Wow, she really comes across as a man-hating bitch in that article, and I'm not talking about her opinion whether men benefit marriage more.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:16 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,523,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Wow, she really comes across as a man-hating bitch in that article, and I'm not talking about her opinion whether men benefit marriage more.
I've read her other book Eat, Pray, Love...she has some strange views on things. She had a pretty rough divorce which she wrote about in the book IIRC, probably has a lot to do with her stance.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,077,240 times
Quote:
Read the book! It's 85 percent venting, and suddenly she's at peace and remarries! Now the new one entitled "Don't marry a gem dealer from south America on the rebound" Is having the forward typed as we speak! They have sooooo much in common...she likes to travel, he's got money to do so with.

It's the Razor's Edge with a female!

Meg Ryan is already signed up, it's simply a matter of figuring out if they're going for Antonio Bandaras or Benicio Deltoro as the Gem Dealer.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Read the book! It's 85 percent venting, and suddenly she's at peace and remarries! Now the new one entitled "Don't marry a gem dealer from south America on the rebound" Is having the forward typed as we speak! They have sooooo much in common...she likes to travel, he's got money to do so with.

It's the Razor's Edge with a female!

Meg Ryan is already signed up, it's simply a matter of figuring out if they're going for Antonio Bandaras or Benicio Deltoro as the Gem Dealer.
That she actually believes that men "have to be dragged kicking and screaming" into marriage tells me there is something wrong with her.

Eat Pray Love is on my mental to-read list, but I just keep pushing it back.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:29 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,523,708 times
Quote:
Eat Pray Love is on my mental to-read list, but I just keep pushing it back.
It's a good, quick read. I like the Eat part in Italy the best. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships