Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,136,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I disagree. Tell that to men who have had every cent they own and their homes taken away from them and given to the ex-wife.
This is not about divorce it's about marriage and issues to view in preventing divorce. Please do not turn this into another divorce husband verses wife bashing thread. It's prevention of divorce she is speaking to and what happens within a marriage to the ideals of men and women - not a divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM

29,699 posts, read 34,240,753 times
And honestly, no man has had *every cent* of his money and everything he owns taken away from him in a divorce. That's just a myth that you guys like to perpetrate. Both parties get screwed in a divorce. Besides, if it's money he earned and possessions he acquired during the marriage, it's not *his*, it's *theirs*.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-16-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Too true. I use statistics all the time at work. Give me a data set, tell me the outcome you want, and I can produce it. Luckily in my job, there is no agenda to produce one outcome or another

Lies, damn lies and statistics.........

Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And honestly, no man has had *every cent* of his money and everything he owns taken away from him in a divorce. That's just a myth that you guys like to perpetrate. Both parties get screwed in a divorce.

Although the "every cent" thing is most likely a bit of an exaggeration, I think that usually it's the man who gets screwed........

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Again! You Guys! This is not another divorce thread and I would like to keep it that way. If you would like to have another divorce bashing thread and who gets screwed in a divorce please start another one elsewhere or resurrect the thousands which already exist.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,652,769 times
I think there is something very weird about the way the author always makes a point to say that she was "forced" into marriage due to immigration issues. That's just not true. She was presented with choices and made a decision. Why does she have such a need to downplay the fact that she wanted to get married?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I think there is something very weird about the way the author always makes a point to say that she was "forced" into marriage due to immigration issues. That's just not true. She was presented with choices and made a decision. Why does she have such a need to downplay the fact that she wanted to get married?
She did not want to get remarried and neither did her husband after they both had gone through very horrible divorces and they were happy just to co exist together. Immigration ejected him from the country and the only way they could be together and return to the United States was if they were married. This made her think long and hard about the institution of marriage, about her preconcieved ideas of marriage which led to the downfall of her first and while abroad, prior to marrying and returning to the US she embarked on a journey to learn more about marriage - her own ideals, different cultures and various aspects of them. Cheif among these was the concept of 'the wedding' emphasis and 'romantic love, sex and infatuation' being the cornerstone of most divorces when marriages are based on that alone.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,077,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Again! You Guys! This is not another divorce thread and I would like to keep it that way. If you would like to have another divorce bashing thread and who gets screwed in a divorce please start another one elsewhere or resurrect the thousands which already exist.
Depends on how long this thread lasts, over a year, and her new book about how she had to divorce the gem dealer from south america, that she really only rushed to marry because he was getting extradited, might be out!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,077,240 times
Quote:
She did not want to get remarried and neither did her husband after they both had gone through very horrible divorces and they were happy just to co exist together. Immigration ejected him from the country and the only way they could be together and return to the United States was if they were married. This made her think long and hard about the institution of marriage, about her preconcieved ideas of marriage which led to the downfall of her first and while abroad, prior to marrying and returning to the US she embarked on a journey to learn more about marriage - her own ideals, different cultures and various aspects of them. Cheif among these was the concept of 'the wedding' emphasis and 'romantic love, sex and infatuation' being the cornerstone of most divorces when marriages are based on that alone.
bluhhhhhhh sorry, threw up a little in my mouth there!

I can see Susan Luchie reading this script and saying to the director...c'mon..this is too far fetched, even for me!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,314,311 times
Quote:
Very true, after all shows like "Who's Wedding Is It Anyway", "Platinum Weddings" etc. are designed to make women's eyes glaze over and drool at the thought of a wedding. If you take notice in how these women and men interact with each other, some of them are quite disturbing but still they proceed with the ceremony.

It's a big dollar industry and the "wedding culture" will exist as long as little girls still dream of white knights and horse drawn carriages. Too often, we aren't taught the reality of relationships and the work/commitment they require....long after the cake has been cut and the confetti thrown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships