Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
Would you be in a relationship with somebody that can't read?

Well if I was, they wouldn't gain any insight poking around in this site.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Man, you have it all backwards. If you read a great book, why on earth wouldn't you want to discuss with somebody, particularly your SO? Reading is not a solitary pursuit, but rather a conversation.
Exactly. If you read "Moskva-Petushki" by Erofeev, but then fail to discuss with your friends or at least your SO (over drinks, of course) then what was the point in reading it?!

Although. Getting back to the original question: I would not have rejected outright a gal who was strongly dyslexic, but was otherwise dynamite, just because she couldn't read - with PBS, NPR, etc. we can still have some intellectual things to discuss.

Now on the question of your bro - he's not *unable* to read, he's just ADD or something in that vein, I think - a person like this who just does not have any concentration, or no intellectual curiosity, would be a much harder sell.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So, are you saying you don't have any standards? No criteria? No deal breakers? You can CHOOSE who you will fall in love with. Basically, what you are saying is that you can just fall in love with any old homeless bum who happens to push his/her shopping cart in your direction??? Any pervert who molests kids? Rapists? Wife beaters? Serial killers?

What it sounds like is you have NO will of your own and you just willy nilly fall for the first thing that comes down the pike.
I'm not saying you can't chose who you end up with, who you chose to date. But can you chose who you fall in love with? I think most people THINK they can, but I don't think you can. Not saying you will fall in love with an ax murderer or anything like that, but might you fall in love with a penniless artist living in a studio apartment? Maybe.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Here is the answer to my question that AllAboutEve didn't reply to.

Thanks!!!
Keep in mind she said she only has minor dyslexia. Moderate to severe forms require a trained tutor.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree with eve here.

the reason i would rather be with someone who can't read, than with someone who is a snob, is that snobbery is a character flaw, defect, deficiency, that reveals a person's lack of integrity and shallow superficial way of doing life and judging others. Whereas not reading is not a character flaw at all.

in dating, in relationship, in life, it is far more important for me to be with someone based on their character and integrity, than their literacy.
I'm always fascinated by your kneejerk reactions. Since when did selectivity become snobbery? And since when does a desire to have a relationship with an intellectual component become a character flaw? Isn't it kind of hypocritical and self-righteous to accuse others of being judgmental when one is far more guilty of it?

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-23-2010 at 07:13 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM

50 posts, read 341,186 times
Reading is so important in our society I really don't think I could date someone who couldn't. I spend so much of my time doing things that involve reading...not that I'm a book snob, I actually don't read books very often at all, but I do read a lot of things online and write messages to people, etc. I would like to be able to send someone messages and have them be able to read them. Plus, unless the person was very lucky in life, I don't think you can get very far without knowing how to read. It may sound snobbish of me to say that, but I want someone who is more flexible and would have the ability to get a decent job. Not saying a person who can't read can't find that, but it seems very unlikely. Now a person who can read but just doesn't want to is another story. It would indeed annoy me if he refused to read anything, but I don't see it as being as huge of a problem.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Exactly. If you read "Moskva-Petushki" by Erofeev, but then fail to discuss with your friends or at least your SO (over drinks, of course) then what was the point in reading it?!

Although. Getting back to the original question: I would not have rejected outright a gal who was strongly dyslexic, but was otherwise dynamite, just because she couldn't read - with PBS, NPR, etc. we can still have some intellectual things to discuss.

Now on the question of your bro - he's not *unable* to read, he's just ADD or something in that vein, I think - a person like this who just does not have any concentration, or no intellectual curiosity, would be a much harder sell.
The point in reading fiction is to be entertained. The point in reading non-fiction is to be informed.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
LOL Wow, some of these answers gave me a good chuckle. I don't care one way or the other if he can read, learning disabilities can be corrected. I just want a man with a heart of gold and some of the basics, like hygiene and common sense. Snobbery not accepted.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
LOL Wow, some of these answers gave me a good chuckle. I don't care one way or the other if he can read, learning disabilities can be corrected. I just want a man with a heart of gold and some of the basics, like hygiene and common sense. Snobbery not accepted.
Then don't look in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships