Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

I've read many books to a few of my ex-boy friends. I've read In watermelon sugar to several people, a group of friends once during a camping trip, and I know it so well that I can do the characters on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
I would never EVER date someone who refused to read. I suffer from minor dyslexia so learning to read was tough, but I worked hard, overcame it and love to read. I consider learning to read one of the best things I ever learned in school. I couldn't date someone who thinks so little of one of my favorite hobbies.

I could be friends with but wouldn't want to date someone who couldn't read at all. I love discussing my favorite books and my BF is forever suggesting things to read and vice versa. I'd miss that part of the relationship too much.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
When my friend's parent's married -- dad couldn't read. The mom taught him. The first word dear ole dad learned was mis mis mistress.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't see that the response you're referring to had anything to do with someone interrupting a reader. I'm sorry you use reading "to keep people out."
I said it is solitary, the other person disagreed. But I have never had anyone interrupt me to ask me about the book I'm reading. They just make the assumption that I'm a nerd, and don't want to talk.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I think it would depend on the overall social skills of the person. I have an uncle who cannot read. He is functionally illiterate; yet, he has a successful business making more money than college educated people. He retired from job he worked over 40 years. If u met him u would not be able to tell he cannot read. He is an older gentlemen and has worked since his childhood. School was not an option. If I met a man who had really good character and high functioning socially and self sufficient, I would date him I think. I would be interested in helping him to read though.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
I would never EVER date someone who refused to read. I suffer from minor dyslexia so learning to read was tough, but I worked hard, overcame it and love to read
Here is the answer to my question that AllAboutEve didn't reply to.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
A question: What if said person could not read English, but another language...or not your first language.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I think it is a little ignorant to imply that you have to be able to read to understand what is going on in the world, or to have anything meaningful to say.

If you over look someone because of something like the inability to read, you're the one missing out, not them.

i agree with eve here.

the reason i would rather be with someone who can't read, than with someone who is a snob, is that snobbery is a character flaw, defect, deficiency, that reveals a person's lack of integrity and shallow superficial way of doing life and judging others. Whereas not reading is not a character flaw at all.

in dating, in relationship, in life, it is far more important for me to be with someone based on their character and integrity, than their literacy.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Let's say they can't read, because they have a learning disability. It's not that they were lazy, it's that they never could...hence teaching them would be fruitless.

I don't think my brother can read.
Well I've got a learning disabilaty you don't want to know what it took me to learn to read. Well you mint so if you do PM me. But If the light buld is "on" why not?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
I know someone that does not read very well, but if you needed his services at 10 PM on a Saturday you all would be kissing his butt to rush over to your homes... Think about it before you put people down just because they can't or don't read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships