Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I catch you Mango. I'm just very cautious around slimey guys, but alas there are many slimey guys out there . I figure I will continue to be his "friend" and see where things go. Maybe even try to beat him at his own game. I just spied him on FB talking up another one of his female groupies on there. Saying almost word for word the things he says to me - this man has no shame .
So, you have been friends with him for 10 years and only now you are realizing that he is "slimey"? I mean, there must have been a reason why you were friends to begin with? Some qualities that you admired about him?
He sounds like a typical player. Nothing new here. And you are beautiful girl, I would be surprised if he DIDN'T try to get laid with you. A lot of men think this way "hey, it's worth a shot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
So, you have been friends with him for 10 years and only now you are realizing that he is "slimey"? I mean, there must have been a reason why you were friends to begin with? Some qualities that you admired about him?
He sounds like a typical player. Nothing new here. And you are beautiful girl, I would be surprised if he DIDN'T try to get laid with you. A lot of men think this way "hey, it's worth a shot".
We did not keep in contact the whole time - we lost touch for a while. I always knew he was a bit of a perv, but we were younger back then and he was a little more reserved. I could talk to him before, and joke around with him. Its a little different now.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
I catch you Mango. I'm just very cautious around slimey guys, but alas there are many slimey guys out there . I figure I will continue to be his "friend" and see where things go. Maybe even try to beat him at his own game. I just spied him on FB talking up another one of his female groupies on there. Saying almost word for word the things he says to me - this man has no shame .
So maybe his actions show that he's a slimeball in that he talks up every girl available, but this also means that you technically have nothing to worry about. It's not as if he's zeroed in on you or anything. You're just one of the many gazelles running about and it appears that you're running too fast for him to catch you anyway. I really don't see what's the problem anymore. . . if you know he acts like this to most girls, then why take it seriously? Some of my male friends are really flirtatious and an innocent bystander would assume they are crazy about me, but they're not. It's just what they do. I don't put any weight into it at all. It sounds like your male friend is the same way. He's an opportunist and he knows that one of the girls he is talking up will gladly fall into bed.

Don't take this personally as I only have your posts to base this assumption on, but it sounds as if you're expecting something from this situation - although I'm not quite sure what.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
I am well aware that there are men out there who find me attractive. And yes, some of them are my guy friends. I am not bashing men for having a libido. I just feel there is a right way and wrong way to do things. As I stated before, had he been more upfront and direct I probably would have gone on a date with him. But since he is trying to seduce/manipulate me - I am totally turned off and would not even consider it at this point.

I'm a direct person, I like for men to be direct with me. When they start to pull moves like my "friend" is doing now, I know that they cannot be trusted.

Hi AllAboutEve,

I do suspect that some of this is simply a form of manipulation that you dislike. However I also suspect that you need to rationalize another feeling which is disgust. He is acting like a girl aka the modern emasculated man. Its seduction by sniveling subservience. You like manly men.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi AllAboutEve,

I do suspect that some of this is simply a form of manipulation that you dislike. However I also suspect that you need to rationalize another feeling which is disgust. He is acting like a girl aka the modern emasculated man. Its seduction by sniveling subservience. You like manly men.
You hit the nail right on the head . I like assertive men. I like for a person to say what they want, and be upfront about it because that's how I am. None of this passive, sneaky, game playing BS. And you're right, it is disgust.

Edit: You caught something no one else did Gwyne. Either you have crazy psychic abilities, or I'm becoming easier to read.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
I haven't had the best of luck with guy friends, I'll be honest. My past experiences have made me especially cautious, but I have realized that although men can be how men can be, there are some good ones in the bunch. So recently, I have reconnected with some ol' guy pals.

Here's the problem. One of my career ambitions is to be a writer. I would like to do both screenplay and novel writing, and because of some advice, I've recently been working on a script. One of my guy friends is a director. After I told him about my writing, he was very eager to read my work and discuss some project ideas with me. It seemed like a good opportunity at first, but then he started acting weird around me and now I'm starting to doubt his intentions .

Here are some examples of his slimey behavior: he has little pet names for me "gorgeous" "beautiful" etc. When he suggested we meet to talk about project ideas, he asked me out to dinner on Valentine's day(), he makes me feel guilty when I can't meet up with him.

Am I overreacting? What should I do so that I can make it clear to him that I only want to talk about business? My other guy friend thinks he just wants to get laid and is using the whole "I'm a director" thing to get in my pants. Thoughts?
Welcome to Hollywood. My brother has been a screenwriter for 20 years. This kind of oily behavior is pretty much par for the course.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Welcome to Hollywood. My brother has been a screenwriter for 20 years. This kind of oily behavior is pretty much par for the course.
Yes, I'm very familiar with how people can be in the entertainment industry. I don't think I can avoid it. I just have to tough it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships